Sony A-Mount dead?

Not surprised in the least.

The E mount is dispensable too.

Sony seem quite passive about people adapting canon glass to their bodies. Why make very nice E lenses when the very nice Canons will work?

Sony can stick to the electronics they are good at.

Just bumping my gums John, take it as advance notice that there's no real need to cut back in with your usual condescension.

Upvote 0
To me it sounds more like the right move, Sony is not competitive on the dslr market, their offer is average, with half their lens range being some left over Minolta from the eighties.

Being successful with the A7 range, it seems only natural they concentrate on the E mount that is the camera that sells (speak A7 family) as well as their crop sensor evils that share the same mount.

Threat for Sony users that the E mount is abandoned as well ? That would means they quit making cameras, since they do not have a 3rd lens mount, and won't live out of compact cameras either.

IMO they put a cheap new A68 to quieten the small but obviously vocal group of A mount user, but it is a dead end anyway. The'll keep making adapters to mount the old A mount lenses on E mount cameras, same as Olympus did with the 4/3 versus Micro 4/3.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
Tinky said:
http://petapixel.com/2015/10/17/sony-uk-there-are-no-a-mount-cameras-planned/

A warning to E-adopters for the future.

;D ;D
I find this to be hilarious.
Sony dug themselves that hole.
See what happens when you have announcements every 6 months? People think that the A-mount is dead. A77 II was announced in may of 2014 (which was last year). 2 A-mount Lenses were announced this year... I don't see how that translates to the death of the A-mount.
;D

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Re: Sony A-Mount: the walking dead! A68 is here! Ouch!

sony a-mount and slt-fans, rejoice!
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/announced-sony-introduces-α68-a-mount-camera-with-4d-focus/
Finally plastic mount has found its way from cheapo kit-zooms into cheapo cameroid-bodies. Peephole viewfinder with record-setting 0.57x mag displays the occasional photons not swallowed by fixed mirror in lightpath. LCD with 400k subpixels displays subject scene. Commodore C64 revisited. Yikes!!!

Upvote 0