Sony a6500 Announced

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Dylan777 said:
Looks rock solid. M5 $979 Vs A6500 $1399 = willing to pay the different?

Can't wait to see A9 specs, rumors saying 70MP @ 20fps?

Non-FF mirrorless prices are all over the place. Sony can be reasonable, Canon is inflated and then the price crashes down, Fuji is pricey as hell, Panasonic's new GH5 is sitting around $1900 and the crazy new Olympus E-M1 Mark II is rumored to be announced for $2,200!

Said another way: m43 rigs are costing more than a Pentax K1, Canon 6D or Nikon D610! :eek:

- A

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2014
Dylan777 said:

They addressed all the complaints from a6300 (touch screen and ibis ). Not sure why they didn't release a6300 like this. Still they are not updating any of their kit lens to complement camera release. I wish, they release few kits lens like STM lens. Hopefully prices will come down. Sorry for all those bought a6300. Sony kinda kept it tight to see a6300 for past few months.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
ritholtz said:
Dylan777 said:

They addressed all the complaints from a6300 (touch screen and ibis ). Not sure why they didn't release a6300 like this. Still they are not updating any of their kit lens to complement camera release. I wish, they release few kits lens like STM lens. Hopefully prices will come down. Sorry for all those bought a6300. Sony kinda kept it tight to see a6300 for past few months.

Yeah, the release confuses me to some extent. Is this not just an a6300 + IBIS + touchscreen? Fps, resolution, AF system seems all the same.

And it's only 7 months since the a6300 came out. Is this their new flagship APS-C to sit atop the a6300, or did they just make a 'D610'-like course correction and replace the a6300 after such a short time?

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
IglooEater said:
Yup, basically Sony is finishing their products after release, and then re-releasing it as a new model. Sony is probably also aware of bugs, errors, or other problems that we know nothing about. Maybe the overheating issues are fixed, who knows. Somewhat like Nikon with the d610, the d810, and a number of their lower end models.

Right -- wasn't the a6300 a 4K rig 'in name only'? (It had some heating problems, ya?)

I'm not knocking this a6500 release, mind you -- I'm just asking if the a6500 is:

• A clear top dog to sit above the a6300 and be sold alongside it
  • A fast course correction to the A6300 that is intended to replace it (think D610 vs. D600)
  • A very awkward slice of both of the above (think D810 vs. D800E vs. D800)

Just curious what all of your thoughts are.

- A

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
ritholtz said:
Dylan777 said:

You shouldn't. There is a large gap between the two, including the price tags.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
ahsanford said:
ritholtz said:
Dylan777 said:

Yeah, the release confuses me to some extent. Is this not just an a6300 + IBIS + touchscreen? Fps, resolution, AF system seems all the same.

And it's only 7 months since the a6300 came out. Is this their new flagship APS-C to sit atop the a6300, or did they just make a 'D610'-like course correction and replace the a6300 after such a short time?

- A

A6300 is not a defected product ;)

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
ahsanford said:
ritholtz said:
Dylan777 said:

- A

I want cheaper version of a6500 not a6300/a6000. Same sensor and ibit but with less buffer, focus points and fps.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Sony A6500

how i wish that thing would not be from SOny, but from Canon with Sony sensor and Canon EF-M mount up front!

Sony finally added a touch screen and new menu system obviously copied from Canon. They forgot to put a front whell on it though. But 5-axis IBIS working in tandem with IS lenses is rather nice. And the compactb range-finder style form factor with EVF in top left corner is just so much better than the stupidMini-DSLR design of the Canon EOS M5. And i do not care for Sony E lenses and their absurd lens prices at all.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#691,684

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
ahsanford said:
I'm not knocking this a6500 release, mind you -- I'm just asking if the a6500 is:

• A clear top dog to sit above the a6300 and be sold alongside it
  • A fast course correction to the A6300 that is intended to replace it (think D610 vs. D600)
  • A very awkward slice of both of the above (think D810 vs. D800E vs. D800)

Just curious what all of your thoughts are.

- A

Given the 40% MSRP premium, I'd lean towards the first bullet.

Upvote 0
Re: Sony A6500

AvTvM said:
how i wish that thing would not be from SOny, but from Canon with Sony sensor and Canon EF-M mount up front!

Sony finally added a touch screen and new menu system obviously copied from Canon. They forgot to put a front whell on it though. But 5-axis IBIS working in tandem with IS lenses is rather nice. And the compactb range-finder style form factor with EVF in top left corner is just so much better than the stupidMini-DSLR design of the Canon EOS M5. And i do not care for Sony E lenses and their absurd lens prices at all.

They need to upgrade their kit lens (16-50mm and 55-250mm) with same quality like STM versions. They have much better prime lens lineup I think (Sigma 30mm 1.4 version is cheaper with E mount). Then I can switch to Sony to save size and get better sensor, features per price. Why do they design grip like a square strip instead of rounded?

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:

Yes, Sony fanboys rumor these specs. And an superfast AF system with an equal AF system like the A99 Version II has. I´ve focussed with the A99 Version II and the AF was really fast. It seems to be covering an area between the 6D and 5D IV. How many AF points are able to shoot at f8 did the assistant not know.
So, how many $$$$$$ will Sony want for it? Unspecific rumors say more than an 1DxII costs. If all specs are balanced, without significant stray-bullets and an good compatibility to Canon ... lenses, then this body will be sold well. Very very well. Just see an wildlife photographer who is able to crop and crop and crop its pictures and still has big files.
Wait a moment: If...yes, if the service gets better....

Upvote 0
Re: Sony A6500

ritholtz said:
AvTvM said:

They need to upgrade their kit lens (16-50mm and 55-250mm) with same quality like STM versions. They have much better prime lens lineup I think (Sigma 30mm 1.4 version is cheaper with E mount). Then I can switch to Sony to save size and get better sensor, features per price. Why do they design grip like a square strip instead of rounded?

Agreed they were the worst lenses I have ever owned. Sold the 16-50 with the Nex6. The older 18-55 is the same image quality as the EOS M 18-55 and a much better kit lens. I gave the 55-210 to my parents. I wish the sony 20 pancake was reasonably priced. I bought the EOS M on fire cell for less than that lens. The Canons 22mm STM is fantastic for the price noting Sony has can touch it.

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
ahsanford said:
ritholtz said:
Dylan777 said:

- A

No it isn´t. The 6300 is an nice camera for the majority of the enthusiasts who do not want to go another step upwards. But it is questionable, if such a fast turn-over is good for Sonys image in coming years. Earlier modest prices let most accept an fast turn-over. But if you spend 3500$ most will be upset, if Sony releases an successor month later.... That is not Windows, where you get an bulletin day each half year. Especially, if there is no exchange-offer for the successor.

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
xps said:
Yes, Sony fanboys rumor these specs. And an superfast AF system with an equal AF system like the A99 Version II has. I´ve focussed with the A99 Version II and the AF was really fast.

I suspect that's a pipe dream. On sensor PDAF isn't yet on par with dedicated PDAF.
I had no comparison to other cams, when I did so. But for me, it was fast. Maybe some of the forum members did so too and have an comparison with other brands.
Maybe it s not so fast, but if it is as fast as the 5DIII it would be great

Upvote 0