"Sony A7R III is Pretty Much the New Canon 5D for Pros"

I've tried both the A9 and A7II, and when Sony makes a camera that I'm happy to hold in my hand for 12+ hours, I might consider one.
Until then, I want to avoid great pain in my right hand and I'll stick with Canon.

I learned decades ago that spec sheets don't make great cameras that are actually useable for heavy duty usage.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Bennymiata said:
I've tried both the A9 and A7II, and when Sony makes a camera that I'm happy to hold in my hand for 12+ hours, I might consider one.
Until then, I want to avoid great pain in my right hand and I'll stick with Canon.

I learned decades ago that spec sheets don't make great cameras that are actually useable for heavy duty usage.

There are always new people who have yet to learn that.

In reality, there is a wide range of attributes that different buyers value, so for some, the size and feature set will match what they need. They will put up with the small annoyances like the user interface and be happy with the camera. That's fine by me, we are each different, and the tool that works best for a photographer is the right choice.

What I don't agree with is someone who proclaims that a product, be it camera, automobile, or potato peeler is the best in the world based on manufacturer spec sheets. The product must mesh with needs and usage of the buyer. Even owners of such items need to be objective. What works best for them may be a looser for someone else.

The best product reviewers describe the performance and usage along with unspecified attributes as they are, and don't make gushing praises that proclaim the product is the best ... or the worst either. I tend to suspect that there is a unseen motive when I read a review that sounds like PR.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2017
Bennymiata said:

This is the biggest downside to Sony.

Truth is, it's also a downside of anything short of the 1DX2 and D5.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
https://www.change.org/p/sony-remove-the-star-eater-on-sony-a7-a7s-r-mk-i-ii-and-a9-cameras

Apparently Sony stopped making professional cameras last year. I might have to change my stance on whether or not Sony’s “competition” is a positive influence on the industry.

Right now they’re promoting gross negligence of photographer’s needs.
A few weeks ago I spent about an hour taking pictures at night. Turns out my 6 year old 1100D was performing a feat of technological sophistication that is simply impossible on any Sony A7/A9 body.

(Edit: Speaking of intentional deficiencies, why can’t Apple give Safari a real spell checker?)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
5D and 6D series are very comfortable for prolonged use. In fact, many wedding photogs do prefer non-gripped 5D body over a gripped one.
Use a Sony FF MILC with pro 70 200 F2.8 lens attached for a prolonged period of time and be prepared to say hello to Arthritis.
The stuff is not funny and so graphical that I would not rescue attaching an image here. Comfortable grip is a must else you are at risk.

OSOK said:
Bennymiata said:

This is the biggest downside to Sony.

Truth is, it's also a downside of anything short of the 1DX2 and D5.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Pippan said:
9VIII said:
(Edit: Speaking of intentional deficiencies, why can’t Apple give Safari a real spell checker?)
You mean one in English rather than American? :)

I’m jsut looknig for smoething to ponit out whenever my dyslexia pust the worng letters in the wrnog order.
The iOS dictionary is great, but it can’t spell check a pure HTML input field. Firefox and every other browser are quite capable of blocking Javascript and drawing squiggly red lines under incorrect spelling at the same time (I’m not entirely sure if this is a script issue but I presume it is).

It actually brings up an interesting comparison, what’s the difference between my use of Apple devices and someone else using Sony when both are, intentionally, highly flawed.

It’s not that hard of an explanation.
A few years ago I was actively using three different mobile devices, all top of the line, and this is the only one that hasn’t blatantly died in my hands. Galaxy Note 4, perpetual boot loop on a failed OS update. Blackberry Passport, overheats and eventually scrambled the OS permanently (re-loading the OS from a PC does nothing).
Actually for a “Phone” I reverted to using a nine year old Android device as a “Dumb Phone”, it does not connect to the Internet, and it works just fine. I have an iPad for mobile data, it works just fine for that. Until something else dies I probably won’t play with the formula too much.

My iOS device is the equivalent of Canon in photography. Everything else tries to push for relevance using any possible metric, sacrifices quality, and suffers a string of catastrophic failures.
While Canon doesn’t generally push the envelope, they maintain a functional and reliable ecosystem.
People want (and sometimes even legitimately “need”) something different, like 4K Video, fine, Canon doesn’t do that on an enthusiast level body, obviously most people will need to get something else.
By all means experiment with new tools, but call a spade a spade, Sony’s products are broken in so many different ways the hyperbolic media coverage around everything that Sony does is nauseating. It’s the worst type of flagrant consumerism, pushing “new” as often as possible and shunning everything else.

Upvote 0
Sony will never, ever make significant penetration into the every day working pro market for one simple fact:

Their body size, shape and layout is objectively horrible. Unless you have the hands of maybe an 7 year old, this isn't something you want to hold for hours, or can control quickly.

But do you have to?

With a new generation, comes a whole new philosophy of use...

To me, the Sony is the ultimate P-mode camera for the younger crowd raised with smart phone photography. Use the LCD screen and hold it out, not the viewfinder. Let Eye_AF (which is awesome by the way) do all the work for AF. Just brighten or darken with the exposure comp wheel which is the only control reasonably and easily ergonomically accessible. And for a good reason, it's where it is because it is supposed to be the go-to-dial. The design emphasizes the importance of EC in P mode.

Tons of DR for post processing. New generation loves lots of processing. They like that processed, almost fantasy look.

It's another reason why Sony isn't investing much in lighting. Their flash system stinks. Offerings are slim for third party. Most Sony shooters I see aren't the types to be hauling a serious strobe and light modifier. They are more inclined to rely on post-processing.

Sony is immensely popular among the under 25 crowd.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Mikehit said:
OSOK said:

Do you have any data to support that ? You repeatedly make these claims and provide no evidence?

I thought that was Apple and Google that were immensely popular with the under 25 crowd.....

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
OSOK said:
Sony will never, ever make significant penetration into the every day working pro market for one simple fact:

Their body size, shape and layout is objectively horrible. Unless you have the hands of maybe an 7 year old, this isn't something you want to hold for hours, or can control quickly.

But do you have to?

To me, the Sony is the ultimate P-mode camera for the younger crowd raised with smart phone photography. Use the LCD screen and hold it out, not the viewfinder. Let Eye_AF (which is awesome by the way) do all the work for AF. Just brighten or darken with the exposure comp wheel which is the only control reasonably and easily ergonomically accessible. And for a good reason, it's where it is because it is supposed to be the go-to-dial. The design emphasizes the importance of EC in P mode.

Tons of DR for post processing. New generation loves lots of processing. They like that processed, almost fantasy look.

Those sound like enthusiasts to me, not working professionals. Throw sensors and form factor aside for a moment:

• Enthusiasts flock to Sony for one set of reasons (aka 'look at the neat things I can do!'): attach vintage lenses, use a speedbooster, abuse highlight and shadow sliders in post to manage exposure errors, etc.

• While working pros (aka 'my car might break down, but my camera never will') care about things the enthusiast doesn't prioritize very highly: customer service, native lens portfolio, card redundancy, proper metering to get exposure right the first time, 1st and 3rd party accessory ecosystem, quality/reliability, controls/ergonomics, comfort when shooting all day, etc.

And I'd argue Sony is sitting pretty for the first camp and lost at sea for the second.

- A

Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
you nailed it also known as the too LAZY too really edit crowd

OSOK said:

But do you have to?

It's another reason why Sony isn't investing much in lighting. Their flash system stinks. Offerings are slim for third party. Most Sony shooters I see aren't the types to be hauling a serious strobe and light modifier. They are more inclined to rely on post-processing.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
Bennymiata said:

When Canon makes a FF camera that is comfortable for my hands, I might consider them. Until then, I will stick with manufacturers who make more sensible sized cameras, such as Sony.

Everyone varies. If you have large hands (like most alpha males do), then Canikon is good for you. If you have smaller hands (such as average males or most women) then they are clumsy and unwieldy. Sony is far from perfect, but it is a lot better than the giant FF cameras that Canikon make.

Personally, for me, the best camera as far as hand fit is concerned, has been Samsung's NX1. It has the perfect dimensions for my grip, it is an extension of my arm. None of Canon or Nikon's enthusiast cameras come close in comfort level when holding them, they all are so big that they feel like they are going to slip out of my hand.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
OSOK said:

Is the under 25 crowd a big demographic for spending >$3000 on a camera body and hundreds to thousands more on lenses?

I doubt there are any statistics to demonstrate that, however I think his point is that in 60 years, the sub-25 crowd of today will be the only crowd.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Tugela said:
Everyone varies. If you have large hands (like most alpha males do), then Canikon is good for you. If you have smaller hands (such as average males or most women) then they are clumsy and unwieldy. Sony is far from perfect, but it is a lot better than the giant FF cameras that Canikon make.

Personally, for me, the best camera as far as hand fit is concerned, has been Samsung's NX1. It has the perfect dimensions for my grip, it is an extension of my arm. None of Canon or Nikon's enthusiast cameras come close in comfort level when holding them, they all are so big that they feel like they are going to slip out of my hand.

I find an xxD or xD ungripped body somewhat comfortable, except for my little finger which must go under the camera. A Sony or Canon MILC is decidedly uncomfortable to hold for a significant length of time. A 1-series is ideal, comfortable, and with a hand strap I can hold one with an f/2.8 zoom all day without discomfort.

[quote author=choosehandsafety.com]Hand sizes for males range from 6.25" to 8.1" with an average hand size of 7.44". Female hand sizes overlap, but are generally somewhat smaller, with an average size of 6.77".[/quote]

My hand size is 7.4", so pretty much spot-on male average. Sounds like you have small hands, a weak grip, or both.

Upvote 0