NameSony FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS SEL600F40GM
Image Circle35mm (Full-frame E-Mount)
TypeTelephoto Prime
Focal Length600mm
APS Equivalent900mm
Max Aperturef/4
Min Aperturef/22
Diaphragm Blades11 (circular)
Lens Construction24 elements in 18 groups, including 1 XA (Extreme Aspherical), 2 ED (Extra-low Dispersion), 3 Fluorite elements and 1 filter; Nano AR coating; Fluorine coating on front element
Diagonal Angle of View(Based on image circle)4.2 degrees
Focus DetailsInternal focus via dual XD (eXtreme Dynamic) linear motors; AF/MF, Full-time DMF, Focus Limit, Function Preset, OSS On/Off, OSS Mode and Beep switches; Set and 4 Focus Hold buttons
Front Element RotationNo
Zoom Systemn/a
Closest Focus4.5m / 14.8 ft.
Magnification Ratio0.14x / 1:7.1
Filter Size40.5mm drop-in type
Dimensions(Length x Diameter)449mm x 163.6mm / 17.68 in. x 6.44 in.
Weight3040g / 6.70 lb
NotesOptical SteadyShot Image Stabilization; Dust and moisture resistant; Included Accessories: lens strap, lens hood, lens caps, hard case, case strap.
Typical Online PriceUS$13,000 (Avail. August 2019)

Last edited:

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
High end lenses tent to have the optics polished manually by one of a very few craftsmen who have the skill and patience to get it perfect. Thats what you are paying for, lots of highly skilled labor and lots of development costs due to the low production rates.

Reactions: Pape

xps

EOS 6D MK II
Oct 19, 2011
Middle Europe
And Sony seems to have invented an very fas 600mm lens. Combines with the A9 and A7III it is incredibly fast focussing. Talked to two pro photographers that do birding. They told me, that they are really impressed by the AF performance (eye AF on birds). They do not switch (saw Nikon pro lenses and bodies), but they would, if they would not have so much Nikon equipment. Especially the lens AF motor is superfast.

So, I am waiting hard for an RF version of the 600mm from my brand. And an "pro" R body...
Maybe my dream comes true, before I am not able anymore to hold this combo... And an better IS against my old tremble