NameSony FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS SEL600F40GM
Image Circle35mm (Full-frame E-Mount)
TypeTelephoto Prime
Focal Length600mm
APS Equivalent900mm
Max Aperturef/4
Min Aperturef/22
Diaphragm Blades11 (circular)
Lens Construction24 elements in 18 groups, including 1 XA (Extreme Aspherical), 2 ED (Extra-low Dispersion), 3 Fluorite elements and 1 filter; Nano AR coating; Fluorine coating on front element
Diagonal Angle of View(Based on image circle)4.2 degrees
Focus DetailsInternal focus via dual XD (eXtreme Dynamic) linear motors; AF/MF, Full-time DMF, Focus Limit, Function Preset, OSS On/Off, OSS Mode and Beep switches; Set and 4 Focus Hold buttons
Front Element RotationNo
Zoom Systemn/a
Closest Focus4.5m / 14.8 ft.
Magnification Ratio0.14x / 1:7.1
Filter Size40.5mm drop-in type
Dimensions(Length x Diameter)449mm x 163.6mm / 17.68 in. x 6.44 in.
Weight3040g / 6.70 lb
NotesOptical SteadyShot Image Stabilization; Dust and moisture resistant; Included Accessories: lens strap, lens hood, lens caps, hard case, case strap.
Typical Online PriceUS$13,000 (Avail. August 2019)

Last edited:
And Sony seems to have invented an very fas 600mm lens. Combines with the A9 and A7III it is incredibly fast focussing. Talked to two pro photographers that do birding. They told me, that they are really impressed by the AF performance (eye AF on birds). They do not switch (saw Nikon pro lenses and bodies), but they would, if they would not have so much Nikon equipment. Especially the lens AF motor is superfast.

So, I am waiting hard for an RF version of the 600mm from my brand. And an "pro" R body...
Maybe my dream comes true, before I am not able anymore to hold this combo... And an better IS against my old tremble

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
And Sony seems to have invented an very fas 600mm lens. Combines with the A9 and A7III it is incredibly fast focussing. Talked to two pro photographers that do birding. They told me, that they are really impressed by the AF performance (eye AF on birds). They do not switch (saw Nikon pro lenses and bodies), but they would, if they would not have so much Nikon equipment. Especially the lens AF motor is superfast.

So, I am waiting hard for an RF version of the 600mm from my brand. And an "pro" R body...
Maybe my dream comes true, before I am not able anymore to hold this combo... And an better IS against my old tremble
Do you have reason to believe this is faster or better than the third generation Canon 600mm f4? If you are waiting, that one is already available and is the same price (cheaper if you use CPW street price). Buy it now if you are anxious to own a 600 f4. If Canon comes out with a 1 series R body, it will work fine with an adapter and you can still use it on your DSLR.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
By mistake, I clicked this link and found an actually interesting report from Tony
He reports a significant shutter lag with the lens on the A9 so he loses birds in flight. Mind you, he is using the lens at 1200mm and I couldn't handle that field of view. He also finds the evf to be problematic for looking at small birds. It's worth looking at to discover these and other problems that are glossed over.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
By mistake, I clicked this link and found an actually interesting report from Tony
He reports a significant shutter lag with the lens on the A9 so he loses birds in flight. Mind you, he is using the lens at 1200mm and I couldn't handle that field of view. He also finds the evf to be problematic for looking at small birds. It's worth looking at to discover these and other problems that are glossed over.
Yes I saw that they other day when I was traveling and meant to post a link, but forgot!

Just goes to show that we can find gems of knowledge hidden in even the most obscure places, I know the Northrop’s have a low reputation here but I actually like that he can back up almost all his opinions with empirical testing.

I also found it interesting that the screen lag increases as the shooting sequence gets longer, that would mean a change in technique for some shooters.

It’s funny because reading all the experts here I had come to assume that getting rid of the mirror was all that was needed to make the perfect camera :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do you have reason to believe this is faster or better than the third generation Canon 600mm f4? If you are waiting, that one is already available and is the same price (cheaper if you use CPW street price). Buy it now if you are anxious to own a 600 f4. If Canon comes out with a 1 series R body, it will work fine with an adapter and you can still use it on your DSLR.
I own the mkII version of the 600mm, but I´m waiting for an RF version of the 600mm - then my Mk II retires. I just wanted to write, that the new Sony combo is an very good product. Especially on an A9 when you use silent shutter. And it is fine to focus with.
I´m glad Canon will announce an 1 R in some years. I´ve saved the money for an 1DX Mk III until this will happen and will love the retro OVF

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes I saw that they other day when I was traveling and meant to post a link, but forgot!

Just goes to show that we can find gems of knowledge hidden in even the most obscure places, I know the Northrop’s have a low reputation here but I actually like that he can back up almost all his opinions with empirical testing.

I also found it interesting that the screen lag increases as the shooting sequence gets longer, that would mean a change in technique for some shooters.

It’s funny because reading all the experts here I had come to assume that getting rid of the mirror was all that was needed to make the perfect camera :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Sir, the mirror is loud. Like a little machine gun for birds. BUT the OVF´s visual benefit is a pleasure to look through.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Sir, the mirror is loud. Like a little machine gun for birds. BUT the OVF´s visual benefit is a pleasure to look through.
My mirrors are pretty quiet, and I can always shoot in Live View if its still too loud. But I still haven't found a EFV that is anything close to a pleasure to look through and they seem to have intrinsic issues all their own.

I'd buy a mirrorless camera again, having given away my EOS-M, but it will be for specific case uses and I can't imagine it will be for action for several generations yet.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

And how did they use a lens that isn't available yet?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Not usually loud to the birds when using a 600mm lens. When I had Canon's 400mm, the birds never seemed to mind the shutter. If I was close enough for the shutter to bother them, then they were probably more afraid of me. Canon needs a cloaking app.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I keep seeing stories about how LED/OLED/etc screens are not really great for your eyesight so I'm wondering what the actual long term effects will be of EVF's. It is one thing that never seems to be brought up, even though MILC users have their eye glued to it. Interesting points on the Sony system and the lag though, especially with the bigger lenses.

Upvote 0
Not usually loud to the birds when using a 600mm lens. When I had Canon's 400mm, the birds never seemed to mind the shutter. If I was close enough for the shutter to bother them, then they were probably more afraid of me. Canon needs a cloaking app.
On an near lake with an large bay, where most birders are taking their shots, the shutter sounds are loudly hearable on the ohter side of the bay (500m away). And on the days, where there are just visual-birders with spectives, more than 4-5 times the number of birds are here. The birding hood is visually camouflaged, so the birds do not see us. The local birdiers club told a lot of photographers to use the silent shutter - that works and keeps a lot more birds from flying away. But some photographers still do not care about being more silent. And on these days, just a few birds stay in the bay.

Upvote 0