Sony FE 85mm f1.4 Gmaster test shots

Nov 17, 2011
Got my GM lenses yesterday. Just want to share few test shots around the house. These were shot with A7r II + 85mm GM, wide open @ f1.4, AF-C mode(same as Ai Servo in Canon 1dx mode).

https://dylannguyen.smugmug.com/Events/2016-4-09-Sony-FE-85-f14/

It reminds me my all time favorite Canon 85mm f1.2. The GM 24-70 is very-very good compared to Canon 24-70 II. My 2cents, it might even slightly better than Canon 24-70 II in cropping.

Edit:
Quick update guys, BAD NEWS.

My 85GM has some kind of scratchy/grinding noise when AF is activated. With my phone flashlight, I saw these scratches inside my 85GM. I'm not sure if this is production or design issue, but the lens will be returned to BH on Monday.

Attachments

• 85GM grinding noise.jpg
    85GM grinding noise.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 307
Jul 14, 2012
3kramd5 said:
Regarding your edit: Yikes!
I hope you get a good one soon

There's a fair amount of discussion about this problem, which evidently affects quite a few copies, on Sony chat forums. Not what one wants to read about an expensive lens (unless one is a member of the anti-Sony Schadenfreude gang around here). I was somewhat interested in the lens until I read about this issue; for now I'll stick with my Canon FD 85L and similar fast manual 85s on my a7rII!

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2014
Wow, I wonder how deep this rabbit hole goes.

I managed to snake both batis lenses early in the year by watching forum posts about availability. 85mm is well out of my usual wheelhouse but I love the 25 so much and figured why not. I'm happy with it.

The GM looks to have stellar optics, so if this is a pervasive problem I hope Sony jumps to fix it.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
sdsr said:
3kramd5 said:

Not what one wants to read about an expensive lens (unless one is a member of the anti-Sony Schadenfreude gang around here). I was somewhat interested in the lens until I read about this issue; for now I'll stick with my Canon FD 85L and similar fast manual 85s on my a7rII!

I feel bad for Dylan, but I'm sure he gets his money back. Yes, I do have some "schadenfreude". It's not because I want Sony to fail. It is because I have been disputed by too many Sony fanboys when I state that Sony doesn't take quality seriously. Sony cameras and lenses systematically has issues that should have been sorted out in testing before release. This is just another example. I have a hard time understanding why parts of the Sony crowd are in denial of the quality issues. For the schadenfreude: I told you so.

+1 to Hjalmarg1. We dont need Sony posts on Canon rumors forum.

Upvote 0

msm

Jun 8, 2013
Larsskv said:
sdsr said:
3kramd5 said:

Not what one wants to read about an expensive lens (unless one is a member of the anti-Sony Schadenfreude gang around here). I was somewhat interested in the lens until I read about this issue; for now I'll stick with my Canon FD 85L and similar fast manual 85s on my a7rII!

I feel bad for Dylan, but I'm sure he gets his money back. Yes, I do have some "schadenfreude". It's not because I want Sony to fail. It is because I have been disputed by too many Sony fanboys when I state that Sony doesn't take quality seriously. Sony cameras and lenses systematically has issues that should have been sorted out in testing before release. This is just another example. I have a hard time understanding why parts of the Sony crowd are in denial of the quality issues. For the schadenfreude: I told you so.

Maybe you got something to gloat over here, we'll see what comes out of it.

However you get disputed when you make bullshit claims with nothing to back it up. You refer to Lensrentals article showing one instance of lens having an AF failure and Roger's opinion that it is more likely to fail because of glue then from that you generalize that there is problems with Sony lenses in general and that Sony does not take quality serious.

It is not like Canon doesn't have any history with QA fails too so I guess we should agree there are problems with Canon cameras in general and Canon doesn't take quality serious either then? ::)

- 5D2 mirror falling out
- 1D II af failure
- 5D3 light leak
- 1DX oil spatter and mirror box problems
- 650D allergy recall
- 750D / 760D sensor recall
- 24-70ii front coating peeling off and zoom ring rubber loosening

Upvote 0

msm

Jun 8, 2013
Dylan777 said:
Got my GM lenses yesterday. Just want to share few test shots around the house. These were shot with A7r II + 85mm GM, wide open @ f1.4, AF-C mode(same as Ai Servo in Canon 1dx mode).

It reminds me my all time favorite Canon 85mm f1.2. The GM 24-70 is very-very good compared to Canon 24-70 II. My 2cents, it might even slightly better than Canon 24-70 II in cropping.

Edit:

My 85GM has some kind of scratchy/grinding noise when AF is activated. With my phone flashlight, I saw these scratches inside my 85GM. I'm not sure if this is production or design issue, but the lens will be returned to BH on Monday.

According to Roger Cicala this lens has a big motor and is expected to be noisy unlike other Sony lenses:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57580668

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
msm said:
Larsskv said:
sdsr said:
3kramd5 said:

Maybe you got something to gloat over here, we'll see what comes out of it.

However you get disputed when you make bullS___ claims with nothing to back it up. You refer to Lensrentals article showing one instance of lens having an AF failure and Roger's opinion that it is more likely to fail because of glue then from that you generalize that there is problems with Sony lenses in general and that Sony does not take quality serious.

It is not like Canon doesn't have any history with QA fails too so I guess we should agree there are problems with Canon cameras in general and Canon doesn't take quality serious either then? ::)

- 5D2 mirror falling out
- 1D II af failure
- 5D3 light leak
- 1DX oil spatter and mirror box problems
- 650D allergy recall
- 750D / 760D sensor recall
- 24-70ii front coating peeling off and zoom ring rubber loosening

I love it when people get their facts right ::)

There was nothing wrong with the 1D MkII AF, some people had some issues in some shooting situations with the 1D MkIII AF.

I do agree that in the grand scheme of quality engineering glue might have its place (something to fix the tea mug of the engineer should he break it maybe?) but the 'issue' as I understand it in Sony lens builds is the amount, not very much, and the fact that it makes service and parts replacement moot, you can't dismantle it so you need to replace larger section of the lens, more parts, when something does go wrong.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
bwud said:
privatebydesign said:
I do agree that in the grand scheme of quality engineering glue might have its place (something to fix the tea mug of the engineer should he break it maybe?) .

Or to attach major pieces of structure in a multi-billion dollar spacecraft, for example.

Or fenders (wings) on cars, ever tried removing them to do a simple fender replacement?

The point is glue has its pros and cons, the massive con is that it is, by design, not meant to be taken apart, which doesn't help if you are in the service business as well as the sales business.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2014
privatebydesign said:
bwud said:
privatebydesign said:
I do agree that in the grand scheme of quality engineering glue might have its place (something to fix the tea mug of the engineer should he break it maybe?) .

Or to attach major pieces of structure in a multi-billion dollar spacecraft, for example.

Or fenders (wings) on cars, ever tried removing them to do a simple fender replacement?

The point is glue has its pros and cons, the massive con is that it is, by design, not meant to be taken apart, which doesn't help if you are in the service business as well as the sales business.

Note, your parenthetical came across as suggesting glue is only good for unimportant simple fixes, which is demonstrably false.

I agree with your stated point above, although the difficulty in disassembling glued joints is only a massive con to a service organization if disassembling a glued joint is necessary to perform service. Perhaps glued parts are intended to be discarded and replaced as a set, in which case it's of no consequence to the service provider.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
bwud said:
privatebydesign said:
bwud said:
privatebydesign said:

Note, your parenthetical came across as suggesting glue is only good for unimportant simple fixes, which is demonstrably false.

I agree with your stated point above, although the difficulty in disassembling glued joints is only a massive con to a service organization if disassembling a glued joint is necessary to perform service. Perhaps glued parts are intended to be discarded and replaced as a set, in which case it's of no consequence to the service provider.

No, glue is also a massive con/fail if it wasn't engineered right, like the glue 'solution' in the Sony 24-70 f/4 ZA OSS, if the glue fails then it is bad design as there really is no excuse for it.

The lens in this article (https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/04/tearing-down-the-sony-24-70-f4-za-oss-vario-tessar/) was effectively written off because it was considered economically un-repairable, the fault? The one blob of glue failed. That is an engineering fail.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 11.27.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 11.27.27 AM.png
    690.3 KB · Views: 266
Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Hjalmarg1 said:
I can't understant the point of discussion about a Sony lens in this forum:
1) It cannot be used in Canon bodies.
2) Canon has equal or better offerings that cost almost the same.
3) Canon has better service support.

It should be discussed in ++++++++ rumors forum.

You can ignore and skip it as you do not feel it helpful to your photography. While others might

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
msm said:
Dylan777 said:

Edit:

According to Roger Cicala this lens has a big motor and is expected to be noisy unlike other Sony lenses:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57580668

Feel like this is more than just loud motor noise. The rubbing marks inside the lens is what I'm concern about. Will give it another try before drawing my conclusion.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
privatebydesign said:
bwud said:
privatebydesign said:

Morning Scott,
Haven't chat with you for long time. Hope everything going well :)

I'm not worry much about that stuff, since I'm not a pro and do not work my gear that hard.

Upvote 0