Sony "Tough" SD cards to reduce risk of card failure?

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Absolutely, I am ABS (Anything but Sony) rather the IBIS ( I believe in Sony)
I will admit to picking one up once, just out of curiosity,

I've sworn off them forever because of other crap they sell. It sounds to me like they STILL have no concept of human factors engineering, 20 years after I ditched them because of the asinine decisions they made. How about a DVD player that would go into standby mode when you powered it up. Yes, you had to tell it twice you wanted it to be on, once wasn't enough. (DId it occur to those donkeyporking morons that when someone turns it on, they might be turning it on to watch a video NOW, not an hour from now?) Or worse, picture a portable CD player, that, when powered off, resets to volume set to full blast. If you forget, you'll blast your eardrums into your skull the next time you start it up with headphones on. That one was worthy of being a target at the gun range.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
If Canon produced strong one-piece UHS-II cards, without the fragile ribs alongside the contacts and without the stupid write-protection switch, I'd buy them.
So far, I haven't lost any images on the Sony cards...
I'm very happy with my R (I shot a gig in low light on Saturday and then a house concert with silent shutter it was brilliant. The single card slot is the single biggest gripe I ahve with the camera. So I need robust and reliable cards.

Upvote 0

briangus

CR Pro
Apr 6, 2017
Bangkok
If Canon produced strong one-piece UHS-II cards, without the fragile ribs alongside the contacts and without the stupid write-protection switch, I'd buy them.
So far, I haven't lost any images on the Sony cards...
I'm very happy with my R (I shot a gig in low light on Saturday and then a house concert with silent shutter it was brilliant. The single card slot is the single biggest gripe I ahve with the camera. So I need robust and reliable cards.

Glad to see you are still shooting gigs, not done since March and not sure when will get to do again.
I only had a broken rib on a card once and it was the non Tough Sony UHS-II
As in it cost $340 sing i still use it without issues, not sure what these ribs are there for as seem to have no purpose.
Got me thinking why I had only seen this issue once so I checked all my Sandisk Extreme and Extreme Pro and they don't have ribs.
They do seem fairly robust as well and though they do have a write switch but not see nay problem with that as never touch it

Upvote 0
the question for me is whether to buy cards for the R5 in advance as they are on special until the end of June in Australia (end of financial year).
The list of qualified cards for the R5 is clearly not available yet but it seems unlikely that the USH-II cards with 300mb/s will not be included ie Sandisk extreme pro and Sony tough. They seem to be the fastest available anyway.
Any thoughts? I am on the right track?

For CFe, it is much less certain as there is a small list of approved cards for the 1DXiii and they "only" deal with 5.5k raw. I am unlikely to use 8k often in the near future or maybe at all. 4k120 is more likely at times but only for short clips. Still, if I am going to invest this much then I should get something that works if/when needed. From what I can see, the write speeds vary hugely. I am guessing that a CFe card/reader will be part of a R5 bundle.

The Canon Website indicates that for RAW movie 5.5k60p Recording four CFExpress Cards are supported:
ProGrade Cobalt 325GB;
SanDisk Extreme Pro 512GB; and
Lexar 256 and 128 GB cards.

progradedigital dot com/products/cfexpress/
Max speed, size, avg speed
600MB/s Gold 120GB => Avg 145MB/s
1000MB/s Gold 256GB => 350MB/s
1000MB/s Gold 512GB-1T => 500MB/s
1400MB/s Cobalt 325GB => 1300MB/s
The avg to max speed difference is huge from 25% to 50% for gold but cobalt is pretty close to max.

Sandisk write speeds with no mention of sustained/average speed! link is:
shop dot westerndigital dot com/products/memory-cards/sandisk-extreme-pro-cfexpress-type-b#SDCFE-064G-ANCIN
64GB 800 MB/s
128/256GB 1200 MB/s
521GB 1400 MB/s

Lexar. I can't find a datasheet for them... only 64GB — 512GB Up to 1750MB/s read, up to 1000MB/s write.
If Lexar 128/256GB cards are okay for the 1DXiii (assumed) 1000MB/s then why aren't the Sandisk 128/256GB included?

Sony tough
128/256GB up to 1480MB/s
1593421208341.png

Upvote 0