Sony's New a7RII Camera Delivers World's First Back-Illuminated FF Sensor

bgran8 said:
Does anyone know if Sony improved their RAW file handling for this version vs. the A7R?

Apparently not.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2015/06/10/sony-rx10-ii-rx100-iv-and-a7r-ii-announced-were-blogging-live-from-the-pres

Q: what about lossless compression or un-compressed RAW files for the a7r2?
A: I checked with the product planner for the A7R II - the compression scheme is the same as in the past, no option for uncompressed

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012
Frage said:
What is this camera going to do to 5Ds sells?

Personally, I hope the Sony A7r II announcement absolutely KILLS the Canon sales, which is the ONLY way Canon executives will wake up from their collective clouds and actually do something innovative for once.

As I own 5D III with a gazillion Canon lenses as well as Sony A7r, I have some thinking to do.. :'(

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Hehehe! Just love this sony a7R ii announcement.
Take this, mirrorslappers ...
Take this, oh so incredibly "innovative" Canon ...
Left in the dust. Sony and ff mirrorless on full throttle. Just love it. Now a few more good FE lenses at reasonable prices without zeiss badge and i am game. Anyways, 5d iii was definitely my last dslr-mirrorslapper. Goodbye Flipping mirrors!

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
Hehehe! Just love this sony a7R ii announcement.
Left in the dust. Sony and ff mirrorless on full throttle. Just love it. Now a few more good FE lenses at reasonable prices without zeiss badge and i am game. Anyways, 5d iii was definitely my last dslr-mirrorslapper. Goodbye Flipping mirrors!

So does that mean you will stop posting here?

Upvote 0
I love that Sony keeps innovating and keeps Canon somewhat honest. Imagine how much slower Canon would introduce their market lineup if they were the only show in town?

This camera makes it tempting but I am looking for one body and unless this thing gets Rave reviews of being able to handle Team sports without an issue I will admire it from afar while waiting to see what the 5DMKIV has in store.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2013
hoodlum said:
bgran8 said:
Does anyone know if Sony improved their RAW file handling for this version vs. the A7R?

Apparently not.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2015/06/10/sony-rx10-ii-rx100-iv-and-a7r-ii-announced-were-blogging-live-from-the-pres

Q: what about lossless compression or un-compressed RAW files for the a7r2?
A: I checked with the product planner for the A7R II - the compression scheme is the same as in the past, no option for uncompressed

Another quote from that page: "Mark Weir told me that the A7R II can focus Canon lenses faster than Canon bodies."

If true, whoa.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:

Well, it seems the a7RII has the same lossy not-RAW RAW files as the a7R. I wonder if it will be a shutterslapper like its predecessor.

AvTvM said:
Left in the dust. Sony and ff mirrorless on full throttle.

I'd bet the 5Ds leaves the a7RII in the dust for unit sales.

AvTvM said:
Now a few more good FE lenses at reasonable prices without zeiss badge and i am game.

If only, if only...someday, the grass really will be greener. If only...

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2012
benperrin said:
emko said:
its about the same resolution as the 5Ds and yet it can do a lot more, higher ISO,higher DR,4K video,60fps 1080p,120fps 720p, 5ds is just a 7Dii sensor but larger Canon is just milking old tech for these idiots who keep buying it.

Wow what a jerk comment. High ISO is not important to everyone and many don't care about video. Calling people idiots for buying a fantastic camera is nothing short of condescending.

idiots because CANON could add all that and more but because we keep buying what ever they sell us they will keep doing this. Only thing that will stop this is competition that drives Canon to step up because people will start to go to Sony or other companies.

It has better DR,ISO,VIDEO etc just because you don't use higher ISO does not mean Canon should just sell you a product like this when other Companies are making the best Camera possible, Canon right now is a joke clearly trying to make every penny of us before they are forced to do something.

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2012
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I'm wondering it it has the plastic lens mount that sparked third party sales of a metal lens mount.

So many people believe specification sheets published by PR companies.

Wait for actual tests and results. Then, if its worth it to have 3 month turn-around for repairs, go for it.

hahaha you got to find one thing Canon is good at :) probably will be worth the " 3 month turn-around for repair" can't see the point of the 5Ds now this thing beats it in every way plus you can use your Canon glass on it.

Upvote 0
emko said:
idiots because CANON could add all that and more but because we keep buying what ever they sell us they will keep doing this. Only thing that will stop this is competition that drives Canon to step up because people will start to go to Sony or other companies.

It has better DR,ISO,VIDEO etc just because you don't use higher ISO does not mean Canon should just sell you a product like this when other Companies are making the best Camera possible, Canon right now is a joke clearly trying to make every penny of us before they are forced to do something.
Once again what a condescending comment. You are assuming that I am buying a camera that Canon is forcing on me yet I've done the comparisons myself and concluded that the 5dsr is the right camera for me. Just because it doesn't fit your needs doesn't mean it isn't a good fit for others. Canon is NOT a joke right now. They are behind in a couple of areas but are more capable than they've ever been. This logic of needing the latest camera to take good images needs to stop. If you can't take a good picture with a Canon product then the problem is with YOU. If you want to jump to Sony well then good luck to you, they are making some fantastic products.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Wait for actual tests and results. Then, if its worth it to have 3 month turn-around for repairs, go for it.

THAT is a very valid point, in addition to how Sony Service charges exorbitantly higher prices than CaNikon for similar repairs.

What's stopping me, practically-speaking, is how Sony still does not make any wireless triggers for even their own speedlites, much less any RT products, and how they still do not have pro-grade flagship speedlites that dont' overheat (HVL-F60M). Sony, are you listening?

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
AvTvM said:

Well, it seems the a7RII has the same lossy not-RAW RAW files as the a7R. I wonder if it will be a shutterslapper like its predecessor.

AvTvM said:
Left in the dust. Sony and ff mirrorless on full throttle.

I'd bet the 5Ds leaves the a7RII in the dust for unit sales.

AvTvM said:
Now a few more good FE lenses at reasonable prices without zeiss badge and i am game.

If only, if only...someday, the grass really will be greener. If only...

I was waiting for when this guy would show up, with his unwavering CANON IS THE BEST fanboy bla bla bla as usual. "Ya, well...unit sales!!!" is all this guys has these days.

Upvote 0