Sony's New a7RII Camera Delivers World's First Back-Illuminated FF Sensor

Jan 29, 2011
dilbert said:
3kramd5 said:
Maybe marketing won at Canon, but drawing the conclusion that Canon Marketing trumped Canon Engineering while Sony Engineering trumped Sony Marketing because the product Canon Engineering produced differs from the product Sony Engineering produced is silly. Even if they had the same design parameters (4K video), it's silly to assume that different solutions means different management direction.

In Canon's defence, they haven't said why they chose 50MP. Is it because that is the pixel density where their current development is at its best? Or was it chosen because they thought it would give them some breathing room over Nikon/Sony (if Canon had of chosen 40MP, Sony would have already beaten it.)

Sony have been quite explicit about why: they started with the requirements for 4K video and worked from that. That's engineering driven decision making rather than thinking "what's the best we can do?" or "what can we get if we upsize our APS-C (54MP)", etc which would be more marketing driven (will we have more or less megapixels than someone else?)

dilbert, you are so uneducated it is equal parts annoying and comical.

This was well covered by the camera media back in 2010.

120MP at 9.5 frames per second. http://www.canon.com/news/2010/aug24e.html

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
dilbert said:
3kramd5 said:
Maybe marketing won at Canon, but drawing the conclusion that Canon Marketing trumped Canon Engineering while Sony Engineering trumped Sony Marketing because the product Canon Engineering produced differs from the product Sony Engineering produced is silly. Even if they had the same design parameters (4K video), it's silly to assume that different solutions means different management direction.

In Canon's defence, they haven't said why they chose 50MP. Is it because that is the pixel density where their current development is at its best? Or was it chosen because they thought it would give them some breathing room over Nikon/Sony (if Canon had of chosen 40MP, Sony would have already beaten it.)

Sony have been quite explicit about why: they started with the requirements for 4K video and worked from that. That's engineering driven decision making rather than thinking "what's the best we can do?" or "what can we get if we upsize our APS-C (54MP)", etc which would be more marketing driven (will we have more or less megapixels than someone else?)

dilbert, you are so uneducated it is equal parts annoying and comical.

This was well covered by the camera media back in 2010.

120MP at 9.5 frames per second. http://www.canon.com/news/2010/aug24e.html

Just because they can manufacture an engineering prototype doesn't necessarily mean that they would be able to bring that to market. I find myself wondering how much of Canon's crippling of their cameras (no 4K yet in consumer DSLRs, not counting 1DC; no raw stills in the XC10) comes from internal strife between the video and stills divisions.

Upvote 0
bdunbar79 said:
Ok, on a more serious note: I've had enough pros and cons. Who's getting one??

Still holding out for the A7S II over here.

Hoping for:
Non-compressed RAW
Tweaked IBIS: I've heard the current system isn't all that great for video use, and not anywhere near as smooth as the IBIS in Olympus bodies.

I'd also rather have uber-ISO over high-megapixel for the type of stuff I like to shoot: nightscapes, alpine climbing, drunk people at bars, etc.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:

Hands up who wouldn't vote for "what's the best we can do?" . . .

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
fragilesi said:
dilbert said:

Hands up who wouldn't vote for "what's the best we can do?" . . .

Old engineering saying:

"Better is the enemy of good enough."

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
rs said:
kanehi said:
Doesn't Samsung has this type of sensor already?
Samsung do make BSI sensors, as do many others. What is unique about this BSI sensor from Sony is it is FF.
If you scale the Samsung NX1 (APS-C) sensor to full frame then it would be 64MP.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
dilbert said:
3kramd5 said:

In Canon's defence, they haven't said why they chose 50MP.

Has don't explained why a camera that records 4k internally and 42MP stills only has USB2?

Zomg crippled

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
dilbert said:
3kramd5 said:

Has don't explained why a camera that records 4k internally and 42MP stills only has USB2?

Zomg crippled

Can you explain why usb 2 will be inferior on this camera to USB 3? I understand that USB3 is faster but what benefits do you think you will get?

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
that1guyy said:
3kramd5 said:
dilbert said:
3kramd5 said:

Zomg crippled

Can you explain why usb 2 will be inferior on this camera to USB 3? I understand that USB3 is faster but what benefits do you think you will get?

Faster transfer from UHS-I max read speed (about double USB2 bandwidth). 4k clips could be massive. Also, the camera supports charging via USB, and could charge faster over USB3 than USB2.

Mainly I just get a kick out of mimicking the folks who label as crippled any and everything which is less than state of the art. I have no doubt that had the 5DS/R shipped with USB2, people would have added that spec to the "crippled" pile.

Upvote 0