Specifications and pricing for the Canon RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS and Canon RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Go look up some of my photos....many are to be found on these forum pages.
No offense, but I fail to see what your artistic skills and experience with this forum have to do with your expertise in lens design and manufacturing.

Optical products appear to be very hard to design and expensive to manufacture from an outside perspective. After all, good glasses aren't cheap, neither are telescopes and microscopes. Photography lenses are far from cheap either.

But you claim such optical formulas and lens elements are relatively simply jn development and production, do you not? So what are the reasons products involving these are so pricy?

I was just asking a question, so since you claim such a deep knowledge of the topic that daring to question it is already trolling, would you kindly give us some insight? Sure, I asked my questions fairly snarky. Sorry for that, I wrote it in the train after a mediocre day of work. But as question, they are still valid I think.

My understanding is that Canon had to put a lot of upfront investment in a completely new set of lenses that aim to make use of a mount that is new to the designers. Canon already has to invest a lot initially in order to design many new top quality products in relatively short time, for a new system and new market. And on top of that this market is smaller than the DSLR market currently, therefore these higher costs have to be spread out over fewer customers. A jump in price does not seem unreasonable considering we can also expect improvements in IQ and got IS in some cases. If you could point out the flaws in that thought, please feel free to do so.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Did you get CPS prices? or are you talking about the page where you can register your gear? because if that's the case I see I can register a 40mm pancake lens and I'm pretty sure that a 200$ lens is not consider CPS price wise! PS: your link doesn't work I'm assuming it's your CPS portal! ( Edit)your link worked the second time...

What do you mean by "CPS Prices?"

True. Neither is the RF 85mm f/1.2L. But the 6D is. The 7D is, but not the 7D Mark II. There are 30 non-L lenses including EF-s models listed. I won't even go into the accessories. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Seems Canon needs to work on that page. :)

Anyway, whether or not it is a pro camera depends entirely on who is using it. That's my opinion. ;)

In the U.S., the 7D Mark II is worth 5 points, the 7D is worth 1 point. The 6D is worth 5 points. The RF 85mm f/1.2L is worth 6 points.

20191001ss1.png

The difference is you can register your gear in the CPS portal, and you guys in the US have a point system, we don't have that in Canada. But you can only have CPS Prices on top lens like L-Series and pro body. It doesn't make any sense that We don't have CPS prices for the RF L series lens! I have contacted Canon CPS Canada I'm supposed to have a call back from a rep over there to try and clarify this. the 85 1.2 and the @8-70 F2 are over 3K in Canada, I sure hope they get there ducks in a row and we can get CPS prices for those!

So are you saying in Canada a CPS membership gets you a discount on new lens purchases? o_O

For the first time I noticed it's extending at 15mm and not at 35mm. o_O

So it's a shorter registration distance scaled down lens concept similar in design to the original EF 24-70mm f/2.8L design that was retrofocus all the way from 24-70mm? Is it all the way retracted at 35mm and all the way extended at 15mm with the barrel only moving in one direction all the way from 15-35mm?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Hmmmm.... not what I am seeing here. Maybe I have a virus? :ROFLMAO: That's an awful lot of points for any camera. Where are you?

In the U.S.one (1) point is worth about the same as fifty (50) points in Europe.

A CPS Silver membership in the U.S. requires 10 points, a Gold membership requires 20 points.
A CPS Silver membership in Europe requires 500 points, a Gold membership requires 1000 points.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
In the U.S., the 7D Mark II is worth 5 points, the 7D is worth 1 point. The 6D is worth 5 points. The RF 85mm f/1.2L is worth 6 points.

It looks like my rather pedestrian accumulation of prime lenses is worth 12 points. :ROFLMAO: Honestly I don't see why the 100mm (non-L) macro (which they will have to pry out of my cold, dead hands) is only worth 2 points, same as the 40mm pancake.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
What do you mean by "CPS Prices?"

View attachment 186909

So are you saying in Canada a CPS membership gets you a discount on new lens purchases? o_O

So it's a shorter registration distance scaled down lens concept similar in design to the original EF 24-70mm f/2.8L design that was retrofocus all the way from 24-70mm? Is it all the way retracted at 35mm and all the way extended at 15mm with the barrel only moving in one direction all the way from 15-35mm?

There is no CPS pricing on RF lens at this time, they are not sure if there will be. There is CPS pricing on the Longer EF Primes in both Canada and the US, just have to ask for it.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
There is no CPS pricing on RF lens at this time, they are not sure if there will be. There is CPS pricing on the Longer EF Primes in both Canada and the US, just have to ask for it.

But what, exactly, is 'CPS pricing'? What do you mean when you say "there is CPS pricing on this lens" or "there is not CPS pricing on that lens?"

The only discount I've gotten from Canon in the U.S. was on a refurbished camera body through the CLP (Canon Loyalty Program), which does not require CPS membership.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
But what, exactly, is 'CPS pricing'? What do you mean when you say "there is CPS pricing on this lens" or "there is not CPS pricing on that lens?"

The only discount I've gotten from Canon in the U.S. was on a refurbished camera body through the CLP (Canon Loyalty Program), which does not require CPS membership.

CPS pricing is special reduce price (?%) for working professionals, to get a list of what is offered talk to CPS. Authorized dealers can also request the current pricing and offered products. *Note* it has been my experience that only the highest end items are offered, the 5 series bodies is not offered for example

You can then have your local dealer bring in the gear for you at the CPS price. Here is an example of a dealer offering CPS pricing.

Upvote 0