Speedlite 430EX III-RT vs ST-E3-RT

midluk

EOS RP
Aug 27, 2015
321
0
arthurbikemad said:
shame they missed out second curtain AGAIN or I'd scrap my ST-E3-RT+YN-E3-RT's :( I hate missing features and workarounds :)
I guess they found it to not work reliably and therefore let it out completely. For first curtain if something goes wrong during preparing/ timing the flash release they likely just retry and delay the photo by a slight amount. For second curtain they likely have to do the transmission during the shot and if something goes wrong you end up with wrong timing or missing flashes.
 

Famateur

EOS 7D MK II
Oct 9, 2012
757
55
My understanding was that the 430EX-RT could function as an optical master, but not as a radio master. Am I mistaken?

If I'm correct, you probably don't want to be dumping your ST-E3-RT (or Yongnuo equivalent) in favor of the 430EX-RT if you plan to use radio triggering.
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
24,352
1,687
Famateur said:
My understanding was that the 430EX-RT could function as an optical master, but not as a radio master. Am I mistaken?
It's the opposite. The new 430EX III-RT can be a radio master, radio or optical slave, but not an optical master.
 

Famateur

EOS 7D MK II
Oct 9, 2012
757
55
neuroanatomist said:
Famateur said:
My understanding was that the 430EX-RT could function as an optical master, but not as a radio master. Am I mistaken?
It's the opposite. The new 430EX III-RT can be a radio master, radio or optical slave, but not an optical master.
Very interesting -- thanks.
 

jeffa4444

EOS 6D MK II
Feb 28, 2013
1,425
81
65
neuroanatomist said:
Famateur said:
My understanding was that the 430EX-RT could function as an optical master, but not as a radio master. Am I mistaken?
It's the opposite. The new 430EX III-RT can be a radio master, radio or optical slave, but not an optical master.
As a complete novice to flash does that mean the 430EX III-RT and the 600EX-RT cannot fire as a slave the 430 EX II I already have and if not are their any other options? Thanks.
 

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
7,576
654
119
jeffa4444 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Famateur said:
My understanding was that the 430EX-RT could function as an optical master, but not as a radio master. Am I mistaken?
It's the opposite. The new 430EX III-RT can be a radio master, radio or optical slave, but not an optical master.
As a complete novice to flash does that mean the 430EX III-RT and the 600EX-RT cannot fire as a slave the 430 EX II I already have and if not are their any other options? Thanks.
The 600-EX-RT can fire your 430 EX II as a slave, the 600 has optical master capability.
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
24,352
1,687
privatebydesign said:
jeffa4444 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Famateur said:
My understanding was that the 430EX-RT could function as an optical master, but not as a radio master. Am I mistaken?
It's the opposite. The new 430EX III-RT can be a radio master, radio or optical slave, but not an optical master.
As a complete novice to flash does that mean the 430EX III-RT and the 600EX-RT cannot fire as a slave the 430 EX II I already have and if not are their any other options? Thanks.
The 600-EX-RT can fire your 430 EX II as a slave, the 600 has optical master capability.
But the 430EX III-RT can not trigger the 430EX II directly. However, you could use an optical slave trigger (Sonia green plus a hotshoe PC adapter from flashzebra.com) for either off-camera flash, as long as you're on-camera flash in in manual mode.
 

bholliman

EOS 6D MK II
Dec 6, 2012
1,473
0
USA
www.flickr.com
LeeBabySimms said:
NOTE - the radio master controller on the 430EX III RT is a refined (better) version of the interface you're used to on the ex600RT and the ST-E3.

Less menu diving — more direct controls. After you shoot an event with the new interface, using an ST-E3 or 600RT as a master controller seems like slumming it.
+1

I purchased a 430EX III-RT about a month ago and love it! I put my ST-E3-RT up for sale a couple of days ago as I find I am using the 430 III all the time now as a radio master for my 600EX-RT's. As LeeBabySimms pointed out, the user interface on the 430 III is simplified and improved over the ST-E3 with the key functions easily accessable and not buried in menus. I also like having the ability to use the 430 III as a stand-alone bounce flash at times. I can't do that with an ST on-camera. I also like the reduced weight/size compared with having a 600 mounted on camera. Highly recommended!
 
Oct 18, 2016
1
0
Short question, is the 430EX III-RT sitting on top of a 5D MK3 also able to trigger the camera via a linked 600EX RT (REL function)? Or is this feature reserved for the more expensive 600EX RT and ST-E3-RT? Thanks a lot!
 

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
7,576
654
119
benblubb said:
Short question, is the 430EX III-RT sitting on top of a 5D MK3 also able to trigger the camera via a linked 600EX RT (REL function)? Or is this feature reserved for the more expensive 600EX RT and ST-E3-RT? Thanks a lot!
Yes the 430 EX RT III can be the remote or the master, or both. But it can only do it on 2012 cameras and earlier as it doesn't have the cable port.
 
Nov 8, 2016
5
0
Seattle
Hi everyone! Long time reader, and need to post more often.

I received a 430EX III-RT for Christmas. Love it so far as it's much better than my 320EX that broke. This evening I purchased a ST-E3-RT with the thought that I'll be using more than one speedlite in the near future.

Did I make a poor purchase? Should I take back the ST and just purchase another 430EX?

Your opinions are requested as I am really just getting into off the hot-shoe flash photography and can use all the help I can get!

Thank you,
ADAM
 

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
7,576
654
119
AdmiralAction said:
Hi everyone! Long time reader, and need to post more often.

I received a 430EX III-RT for Christmas. Love it so far as it's much better than my 320EX that broke. This evening I purchased a ST-E3-RT with the thought that I'll be using more than one speedlite in the near future.

Did I make a poor purchase? Should I take back the ST and just purchase another 430EX?

Your opinions are requested as I am really just getting into off the hot-shoe flash photography and can use all the help I can get!

Thank you,
ADAM
Hi Adam,

No it's not a waste having an ST-E3-RT, but I'd highly recommend Sly Arena's book https://www.amazon.com/Speedliters-Handbook-Learning-Craft-Speedlites/dp/0134007913/ref=dp_ob_title_bk he covets building a system very well.
 

Valvebounce

EOS 5D SR
Apr 3, 2013
4,169
144
52
Isle of Wight
Hi PBD.
Am I misreading this or does this really only work on cameras made before 2012?

Cheers, Graham.

privatebydesign said:
benblubb said:
Short question, is the 430EX III-RT sitting on top of a 5D MK3 also able to trigger the camera via a linked 600EX RT (REL function)? Or is this feature reserved for the more expensive 600EX RT and ST-E3-RT? Thanks a lot!
Yes the 430 EX RT III can be the remote or the master, or both. But it can only do it on 2012 cameras and earlier as it doesn't have the cable port.
 

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
7,576
654
119
Valvebounce said:
Hi PBD.
Am I misreading this or does this really only work on cameras made before 2012?

Cheers, Graham.

privatebydesign said:
benblubb said:
Short question, is the 430EX III-RT sitting on top of a 5D MK3 also able to trigger the camera via a linked 600EX RT (REL function)? Or is this feature reserved for the more expensive 600EX RT and ST-E3-RT? Thanks a lot!
Yes the 430 EX RT III can be the remote or the master, or both. But it can only do it on 2012 cameras and earlier as it doesn't have the cable port.
Sorry Graham, no it is a typo (well caught) it should read 'only POST 2012'. The 430EX III-RT does not have a cable port, pre 2012 cameras can't be remote triggered through the hot shoe, post 2012 cameras can.

If you have a pre 2012 camera the only RT flash that can be hotshot mounted and trigger the camera shutter is the 600-EX-RT MkI via the accessory cable SR-N3, the 600-EX-RT MkII version removed the needed cable port.
 

Valvebounce

EOS 5D SR
Apr 3, 2013
4,169
144
52
Isle of Wight
Hi PBD.
Thank you for the clarification, it seems like a pretty compelling reason to move to the RT system if a new flash is needed.

Cheers, Graham.

privatebydesign said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi PBD.
Am I misreading this or does this really only work on cameras made before 2012?

Cheers, Graham.

privatebydesign said:
benblubb said:
Short question, is the 430EX III-RT sitting on top of a 5D MK3 also able to trigger the camera via a linked 600EX RT (REL function)? Or is this feature reserved for the more expensive 600EX RT and ST-E3-RT? Thanks a lot!
Yes the 430 EX RT III can be the remote or the master, or both. But it can only do it on 2012 cameras and earlier as it doesn't have the cable port.
Sorry Graham, no it is a typo (well caught) it should read 'only POST 2012'. The 430EX III-RT does not have a cable port, pre 2012 cameras can't be remote triggered through the hot shoe, post 2012 cameras can.

If you have a pre 2012 camera the only RT flash that can be hotshot mounted and trigger the camera shutter is the 600-EX-RT MkI via the accessory cable SR-N3, the 600-EX-RT MkII version removed the needed cable port.
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
24,352
1,687
Valvebounce said:
Thank you for the clarification, it seems like a pretty compelling reason to move to the RT system if a new flash is needed.
Note that what PBD is talking about is remotely triggering the camera's shutter using the flash system. Personally, although I think there are many compelling reasons to use an RT system, I'm not sure remote shutter release is one of them – there are multiple, simple solutions for that which don't require you to be holding a flash.
 

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
7,576
654
119
neuroanatomist said:
Valvebounce said:
Thank you for the clarification, it seems like a pretty compelling reason to move to the RT system if a new flash is needed.
Note that what PBD is talking about is remotely triggering the camera's shutter using the flash system. Personally, although I think there are many compelling reasons to use an RT system, I'm not sure remote shutter release is one of them – there are multiple, simple solutions for that which don't require you to be holding a flash.
I agree with that, as a remote control it has to be the most expensive and clumsy way to do it! It is a function not explained or understood well, but can be the best tool for a couple of jobs.

For instance if you are light painting or doing real estate 'mood light' multi layered style shooting it is the cheapest, fastest and easiest way to trigger the camera and the flashes and get the light where you want it.
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
24,352
1,687
privatebydesign said:
For instance if you are light painting or doing real estate 'mood light' multi layered style shooting it is the cheapest, fastest and easiest way to trigger the camera and the flashes and get the light where you want it.
[/quote

Certainly...I've used it for macro shooting of irregularly-shaped reflective subjects, where I set up the camera on a tripod and frame the subject, then the lighting is a bit of trial and error.