Speedlite 430EX III-RT vs ST-E3-RT

Now that the new mid priced Speedlite RT is out, and it looks to have master functions, what value does the ST-E3-RT have? (Besides size) They are basically the same price here in U.S.

I had been contemplating getting the ST-E3-RT, but now think I'd rather just have the 430 as a smaller on camera trigger (with flash ability).

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
You've raised an interesting and relevant point...but for under $100 why not buy the Yongnuo knock-off of the genuine Canon ST-E3-RT, the hot selling YN-E3-RT http://www.amazon.com/Speedlite-Wireless-Transmitter-YN-E3-RT-ST-E3-RT/dp/B00H7XFOKO and enjoy the AF assist as well. As a rule I tend to stick with name brands of accessories and glass, but the Yongnuo YN-E3-RT I bought recently has been flawless. Any of the modest initial issues with these were solved for good well over a year ago.

You may have enough $$ left over for another very useful 600 EX-RT.

-pw

Upvote 0
I shot five weddings over the weekend with two of the new 430's — loved them! I don't need on-camera flash very often (most of the light is off-camera ex600RT's) so for me the 430 is an easier-to-use STE3 with an AF assist beam and a cute little fill light when I need it.

The new master controller is a big step forward — less menu diving. Did I like it? This morning I ordered a third. During all that shooting, going back to the master controller panel on the ex600RT, ST-E3 (or the Youngnuo clones) seemed like a step backward.

Only unexpected negative is a quiet "whack" both of our units make when discharging. Only the photographer can hear it, but takes a moment to get used to. If the third one does it, I just that's just a small personality quirk of the beast.

The wedding lighting fleet will stabilize at ....

ex600RT x 5 (3 active, 2 back-up)
ex430RT x 3
ST-E3 x 1

Upvote 0
pdirestajr said:
Now that the new mid priced Speedlite RT is out, and it looks to have master functions, what value does the ST-E3-RT have? (Besides size) They are basically the same price here in U.S.

I had been contemplating getting the ST-E3-RT, but now think I'd rather just have the 430 as a smaller on camera trigger (with flash ability).

Does it really have master functions? Or is it only used to trigger optically without TTL?

Upvote 0
NOTE - the radio master controller on the 430EX III RT is a refined (better) version of the interface you're used to on the ex600RT and the ST-E3.

Less menu diving — more direct controls. After you shoot an event with the new interface, using an ST-E3 or 600RT as a master controller seems like slumming it.

Upvote 0
I'm in the market for a second flash. I already have YN remote which works great. Between 600ex-rt and 430 ex-rt i find it hard to make a decision. Street price of a 600ex is only $100 more. The 600ex rt has higher build quality and more power and better weather sealing. 430 is lighter which is great. But then the head of the 600 can turn all the way. Hard to choose....

Upvote 0
After 5 weddings, I didn't find any practical limitations to the 430 swivel head — and I bounce 100% of the time.

That said, if I was doing run-and-gun lighting all day with just one flash I would choose the 600 over the 430 — but since my needs are more for a master controller (than can be a solo flash maybe a dozen times a day), the 430 is perfect.

Upvote 0
I used to run the 430ii as on camera flash as it was smaller etc but now I don't bother with smaller guns just use the 600s, I find if I have to have a flash mounted then it may as well be one that has the extra power, my thinking now is I'd rather pay out a little more and have a gun that I turn down rather than one I can't tun up, price here is not much more for the 600 over the 430iii :)

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
neuroanatomist said:
arthurbikemad said:
I'd rather pay out a little more and have a gun that I turn down rather than one I can't tun up, price here is not much more for the 600 over the 430iii :)

+1

I also prefer to have lights all with the same max power, particularly since output is set relative to that max power.

So then it comes down to choosing the 430ex for size and weight, for those times we are just carrying our camera and one flash and don't need the full blast of a 600ex-rt...

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
YuengLinger said:
neuroanatomist said:
arthurbikemad said:
I'd rather pay out a little more and have a gun that I turn down rather than one I can't tun up, price here is not much more for the 600 over the 430iii :)

+1

I also prefer to have lights all with the same max power, particularly since output is set relative to that max power.

So then it comes down to choosing the 430ex for size and weight, for those times we are just carrying our camera and one flash and don't need the full blast of a 600ex-rt...
AND price, at least here in Europe/Germany (20.10.15):
430EX III-RT about 250,- Euro
600EX-RT about 450,- Euro, so almost worth two 430EX III-RT

And if you want to use the RT functionality you'd buy at least two of them so 2x 600EX RT equals almost 4x 430EX III-RT.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
YuengLinger said:

It always comes down to personal preference and compromise. 430 vs. 600 makes little difference to me when 'just carrying the camera' is a 1D X and 24-70/2.8 II. ;)

Upvote 0
The 430EX III-RT is almost exactly a half 600EX-RT. Half power, half weight, half size, half price.

Compared to the 430EX II it is improved in almost every area, especially when it comes to interfaces (wireless and buttons/display).
The main disadvantages compared to the 600EX-RT are less maximum light output and slower recharge at same light output (at full blast the 430EX III recharges slightly faster than the 600EX-RT but at half the output). And the much smaller flash head (especially the extremely small free space on the low side when it is pointed forwards) makes it difficult to attach larger flash formers like soft boxes.

The main applications I see, are:
1. when weight, size and price is more important than power
2. as a replacement for a ST-E3-RT (to get fill flash and AF assist) or for a 600EX-RT (for price, weight and size reasons) as a transmitter
3. to be able to distribute flashes (compared to half the number of 600EX-RT) more evenly with the same total light output for the same price when using multiple flashes to light a room

Upvote 0
midluk said:
The 430EX III-RT is almost exactly a half 600EX-RT. Half power, half weight, half size, half price.

Compared to the 430EX II it is improved in almost every area, especially when it comes to interfaces (wireless and buttons/display).
The main disadvantages compared to the 600EX-RT are less maximum light output and slower recharge at same light output (at full blast the 430EX III recharges slightly faster than the 600EX-RT but at half the output). And the much smaller flash head (especially the extremely small free space on the low side when it is pointed forwards) makes it difficult to attach larger flash formers like soft boxes.

The main applications I see, are:
1. when weight, size and price is more important than power
2. as a replacement for a ST-E3-RT (to get fill flash and AF assist) or for a 600EX-RT (for price, weight and size reasons) as a transmitter
3. to be able to distribute flashes (compared to half the number of 600EX-RT) more evenly with the same total light output for the same price when using multiple flashes to light a room

I'm under the impression that the 430 is only about 100g lighter and $100 cheaper than the 600exrt in the US. If the 430 was really half the weight and half the price, a decision would be easier.

Upvote 0
As I say here in the UK you can buy a 430iii (grey) for £215.00 and a 600ex-rt for £319.00 (£275.00ebay) thus not much in it, the ST-E3-RT is £189 (grey) so not worth getting now the 430iii is out (YN-E3-RT is £70.00), and I agree flash option + AF assist makes it much better option to pack a 430iii of the ST-E3. 600's do get heavy and if your packing 4 of them you know it. Saying all of that anything is what a person may need, IF I were lugging the 600 all day on camera you can bet those 100+g's may play on your mind, and shoulder haha..

Many say the 430iii's interface is much faster to use over the ST-E3 if that's your thing, I for one find the ST-E3's menu frustrating when you want to adjust power etc, same as I find it drives me crazy when I want to access the setting from the 5D3, why O why you have to keep selecting the sub menu is a PITA just to get to power!

I am not bashing the 430iii, I think its a feature packed speedlight, shame they missed out second curtain AGAIN or I'd scrap my ST-E3-RT+YN-E3-RT's :( I hate missing features and workarounds :)

Upvote 0