Spiders

Dec 17, 2013
I enjoy some spiders. Here's another orchard orb weaver and a triangulate orb weaver. The triangulate orb weaver had the bad judgement to spin its web across a hiking trail, and had to re-weave several times that day (twice on my account, forward and back). However, it is a very fast-moving spider - this is one of the few in-focus shots I could get with my manual focus macro lens. (125mm on full frame - I like telephoto with spiders too, for the luxurious bokeh).

Attachments

• Phillips091515_4-7223.jpg
    Phillips091515_4-7223.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 1,449
  • Phillips091515_5-6676.jpg
    Phillips091515_5-6676.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 329
Upvote 0
I have a few spider pictures, but they rarely come out good.
I like that one though... it's a small jumping spider hiding in the raspberries...
The eyes are amazing!

AraigneeFramboises.jpg

Upvote 0
sedwards said:
i couldnt find a thread with spider pics so i figured i would start one. these are from Florida
Orchard Orbweaver
First one is beautiful.
NancyP said:
I enjoy some spiders. Here's another orchard orb weaver and a triangulate orb weaver. The triangulate orb weaver had the bad judgement to spin its web across a hiking trail, and had to re-weave several times that day (twice on my account, forward and back). However, it is a very fast-moving spider - this is one of the few in-focus shots I could get with my manual focus macro lens. (125mm on full frame - I like telephoto with spiders too, for the luxurious bokeh).
The angle on the first one is awesome.
kirispupis said:
I always enjoy photographing spiders. Here are a few of mine.
Fantastic!
NancyP said:
DRioux, that's a great demonstration of the size of the jumper. I am surprised you even found it.
I completely agree, it's hard to tell how small they are from most photos. That shot is great.
applecider said:
Not the best technical pictures but interesting to me.

Funnel spider with shed exoskeleton and just a web with morning dew.
I'm drawn into the funnel, that's cool.

Here's one of mine, I still have a lot to learn. I used a relatively cheap Meike MK-14EXT on a 100L macro. I've since switched to a bracket with two 430EX II's for macro but have yet to take a decent photo with that setup.
IMG_6760 by Hashim D, on Flickr

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
applecider said:
Hashim love the eyes.

Also like Rioux's spider eyes (reflections in both cases I'm sure).

Thanks, Applecider. The reflections are from the cheap Mieke ring flash. I'm glad I got that one instead of Canon's since I really hate the glare they produce. In that shot, I feel like it worked out for me.

I used the same flash with this shot and it took a lot of post processing to remove most of the glare. There's still quite a bit left, everyone else's shots look so much more natural to me.
IMG_1254 by Hashim D, on Flickr

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
HHKD, welcome to the world of DIY flash modifications for macro.

Here's a primer on flash in macro, from a very talented photographer, Kurt, who posts a ton at dpreview macro thread: http://orionmystery.blogspot.com/ look at the right side for links to his how-to flash posts

Good news! The modifications can include cheap/free household items. Even a translucent plastic cup cut to cover the field of interest being illuminated can be a big improvement.

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
Click said:
JMZawodny said:
Some wonderful macro shots in this thread already - kudos to the photographers. Here is one I did a few years ago of a very cooperative jumping spider.

Very nice micro. Well done.

Thanks Click.

The razor thin DOF makes it difficult to control (hand held) and get it where you want. I wonder whether shooting video while racking the focus over the target and feeding that video into a focus stacking program is a better way to go. Thoughts anyone?

Edit: It might be better and simpler just to slide the camera back and forth.

Upvote 0