Spiders

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
lion rock said:
Jack,
Like most wild creatures, they don't attack unless being messed with. This spider was quite calm even when I was inches away.
-r

Jack Douglas said:
Riley, I like it if it doesn't bite!

Jack

OK, but I wouldn't be so that means I get bit, right? ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2013
Keep calm, Jack, keep calm!
-r

Jack Douglas said:
lion rock said:
Jack,
Like most wild creatures, they don't attack unless being messed with. This spider was quite calm even when I was inches away.
-r

Jack Douglas said:
Riley, I like it if it doesn't bite!

Jack

OK, but I wouldn't be so that means I get bit, right? ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
No spiders in shot, but man they had been busy. We walked past this lot and it was only when we turned to walk back thinking the day was not going to yield any photos that we saw this incredible sight of the ground literally covered in silk.

SE0A9627_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Cheers, Graham.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Very nice shot, PCM-madisson.
d055.gif

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Maximilian.
Nice shot. So these are European spiders then, we have them in the UK, or at least it looks the same to me!
I regularly come across these in the garden, the worst was walking in to the web he’d put across the gate, I love spiders (they eat flies you know) but it made me jump when he dropped across my face in his rush to leave his now destroyed web, I hate spider web on my face! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheers, Graham.

found that one in the garden:

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
:rolleyes:Hi Graham!
Nice shot. So these are European spiders then, we have them in the UK, or at least it looks the same to me!
I am not a zoologist but an interested amateur.
I suppose that this fellow is an araneus diadematus, aka. European garden cross spider.
The images of the English Wikipedia are not so good as in the German section so I link the latter here.
The German article also says more about the habitat of it and that it can be found in whole Central Europe.

I love spiders (they eat flies you know) but ...
I hate spider web on my face! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Same here. With one expectation:
Pholcus phalangioides , seems that PCM-madison had made a good pic of them above.
AFAIK they are an intrusive species from Asia although the linked article tells something different.
But I haven't recognized them 5 or 10 years ago here in Germany. Hope they haven't made their way across the Channel yet.
They seem to cut out other spiders, esp. in our houses. Their webs are no beautiful orbs or tubes but only pure chaos (to me).
And they and their webs are everywhere in my house. :(
I really don't have problems with spiders in my house except for those Pholcus phalangioides webs.

That reminds me of a former girlfriend of mine. She had a severe form of arachnophobia.
I could keep her from killing spiders. But when I put them out of the house, I always had to wash my hands thoroughly :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I think I've posted this one already in another thread but I think it belongs here as well, if so.
That one was really tiny, just about 4 mm or so. I took the pic with the 100L and 5D3 at MFD and did still some croping.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this is presumably an araniella cucurbitina

araniella_cucurbitina.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Thanks for all the compliments.

One of my favorite lenses...good job!
I liked the EF 100 non-L Macro for its optical performance. And it was my first macro lens.
And I can note that IQ was almost as good as the 100L macro.
But HIS, 3-step focus limiter and built quality makes the 100L more flexible. That and the the better look made me fall in love with the 100L.
That's why I sold the non-L.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Thanks for all the compliments.

I liked the EF 100 non-L Macro for its optical performance. And it was my first macro lens.
And I can note that IQ was almost as good as the 100L macro.
But HIS, 3-step focus limiter and built quality makes the 100L more flexible. That and the the better look made me fall in love with the 100L.
That's why I sold the non-L.

The 100 non-L macro is both my first (and still only) macro, and my first prime. I use it in a static (studio) situation, tethered, and I've pretty much decided to dedicate my T6i to that setup. I get nice uniform results with it and therefore don't want to change a thing there.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0