Spiders

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I came across this spider I took with the trusty old 5DSR/100-400 II in Malaysia. Any experts on what it is?
Looks like some kind of silk spider, I suppose a Nephila maculata. Found this pic on this German page on the web.
When I searched wikipedia I found this article about Nephila pilipes.

I think the yellow spots on the leg joints are pretty prominent.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Looks like a female Giant Golden Orb Weaver to me, but I am no spider expert.

We have their smaller cousin where my sister lives where they call them Banana Spiders, though they are still a decent size and their webs can be very big.

I came across this spider I took with the trusty old 5DSR/100-400 II in Malaysia. Any experts on what it is?

View attachment 187069

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Do spiders belong in the insects forum or not?!

5D3_8626 - Copy.JPG5D3_8697 - Copy.JPG5D3_8738 - Copy.JPG

...various places on the 'net say (rather authoritatively) that spiders are not insects...but when I aim to ID this one the first place I went to was here!?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I would like to put credits to the owner of this orb. I was just the lucky observer.
THIS!
This is one photography philosophy, that art is present within scenes we encounter, as photographers it's our task to decide how to frame a scene prior to recording for later presentation.
I do not want viewers of my photos to wonder how I did that, I do not want my photos to say "look what my gear can do" or "look what I can do with my gear", I don't want viewers to even be aware they're viewing a photo, I want them to see what I saw. I much rather hear "beautiful subject" than "nice photo".

An Ansel Adams quote;
"For those who like eyes in focus, but nose and ears out of focus, the use of long-focus lenses and large apertures at close distances will do nicely! I prefer a reasonably sharp image throughout......"

- -
Oh, that's quite a web!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I would like to put credits to the owner of this orb. I was just the lucky observer.
THIS!
This is one photography philosophy, that art is present within scenes we encounter, as photographers it's our task to decide how to frame a scene prior to recording for later presentation.
Oh, that's quite a web!
Fully agree and thank you for pointing that out.
And I am glad that I could enjoy you with my "beautiful subject" :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0