Stars above.

yorgasor

EOS RP
Oct 23, 2013
323
1
I finally got to find some real dark skies down in Moab, UT. It's almost frightening how dark it is when the moon goes down (especially when you're foolishly hiking without a flashlight):

This is the kind of light you get at moonset, my new favorite time!:

Water, Snow and Stars by yorgasor, on Flickr


Stars over Moab by yorgasor, on Flickr


Arches Entrance by yorgasor, on Flickr

The last of the moonlight, shining up in the clouds as it goes down:

Stars at Moonset by yorgasor, on Flickr

The moon fully down, waaaay dark. Fortunately I was close to my car at this point.

Delicate Arch Viewpoint by yorgasor, on Flickr
 

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
6,149
1,082
Alberta, Canada
Oh, I love the last posts, guys. Any advice you're willing to give to someone who's yet to do anything like this. I'll be out any day now but just in my yard where it's not particularly scenic, but it's not city. What lenses and times, exposure etc., is always helpful.

I presume the Sky Tracker is not at all useful in doing the shots with landscape due to motion blur?

Jack
 

tron

EOS 5D SR
Nov 8, 2011
4,059
359
Jack Douglas said:
I presume the Sky Tracker is not at all useful in doing the shots with landscape due to motion blur?
Jack
Exactly! But your 6D is capable of crazy ISO :)
 

Alexiumz

I'm New Here
Mar 7, 2013
15
0
www.alex-stone.com
Jack Douglas said:
Oh, I love the last posts, guys. Any advice you're willing to give to someone who's yet to do anything like this. I'll be out any day now but just in my yard where it's not particularly scenic, but it's not city. What lenses and times, exposure etc., is always helpful.

I presume the Sky Tracker is not at all useful in doing the shots with landscape due to motion blur?

Jack
My go-to exposure for dark skies is f/2.8, 30" and 1600 ISO. Start with that and see how it looks; you may need to lower the ISO with the given light pollution or lower the shutter speed if you start to see stars trailing (if that's not the intended effect!)

You won't need/can't really use a sky tracker when shooting a landscape (it's more for deep space photography) unless you superimpose the foreground/landscape from a separate exposure.
 

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
6,149
1,082
Alberta, Canada
Well it took a while but finally a reasonably clear sky. I set up the iOptron sky tracker as best I could and took some shots with 300 X1.4. ISO 640 F9 30 sec. Being totally new to this I don't have a clue from any perspective. I don't know my stars or anything! :(

Is there anything to be gleaned from this sample shot. I have a timer/remote release on order so I'm guessing that pressing the shutter has affected the shot?? Any suggestions anyone?

I know this little unit is not made for the 300 II but with a smooth gimble and care things were pretty stable. A little tricky to get Polaris right but I'm guessing I did based on minimal trails, or is 30 sec too low to show that??

Jack
 

Attachments

W

wildlifeandmore

Guest
My first attempt at photographing the milky way. Taken last June along Antelope Flats in GTNP. Afraid I do not have a fast enough wide angle lens to really get some detail in the sky. I do have the nifty fifty and might give it a try this summer. Just have to walk backwards a bit. Need more practice at this!
Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 17-40mm L
17mm
f/4
24 seconds
6400 iso
580ex flash dialed way down (can not remember) during exposure.
 

Attachments

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
6,149
1,082
Alberta, Canada
wildlifeandmore, that ranks up there with what I'd love to try. Very appealing!

If I could just figure out how to move the mountains 300 miles closer.

Jack
 

PTT

6D
Mar 19, 2013
23
0
Zion National Park. The Watchman stands near the entrance to the park above the town of Springdale which lends its lights the the mountain. 4:30am, 6D. 30 sec, f4.5, ISO400, 28mm (24-105)
 

Attachments

W

wildlifeandmore

Guest
Jack Douglas said:
wildlifeandmore, that ranks up there with what I'd love to try. Very appealing!

If I could just figure out how to move the mountains 300 miles closer.

Jack
Thanks Jack. Wish I could help with moving them for you. Might be worth a drive someday?
Wondering if you of anyone else knows of a good lighting source for night photos to light up a relatively close foreground subject? Flash seems too hot and gives an odd hue. Need something to give an even spread of light for the frame.
 

jdramirez

EOS 5D MK IV
May 31, 2011
2,944
0
42
wildlifeandmore said:
Jack Douglas said:
wildlifeandmore, that ranks up there with what I'd love to try. Very appealing!

If I could just figure out how to move the mountains 300 miles closer.

Jack
Thanks Jack. Wish I could help with moving them for you. Might be worth a drive someday?
Wondering if you of anyone else knows of a good lighting source for night photos to light up a relatively close foreground subject? Flash seems too hot and gives an odd hue. Need something to give an even spread of light for the frame.
I've used my phone for close up foreground objects. My one flashlight has a function where I can choose the lcd as a flash light and I can make the color red, green, blue, etc. The lcd light doesn't reflect harshly and it adds a little subtle color/light to the foreground...

Flashlight by smalltech.
 

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
12,519
1,057
Canada
wildlifeandmore said:
My first attempt at photographing the milky way. Taken last June along Antelope Flats in GTNP. Afraid I do not have a fast enough wide angle lens to really get some detail in the sky. I do have the nifty fifty and might give it a try this summer. Just have to walk backwards a bit. Need more practice at this!
Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 17-40mm L
17mm
f/4
24 seconds
6400 iso
580ex flash dialed way down (can not remember) during exposure.

Lovely shot. 8) Well done.
 

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
12,519
1,057
Canada
PTT said:
Zion National Park. The Watchman stands near the entrance to the park above the town of Springdale which lends its lights the the mountain. 4:30am, 6D. 30 sec, f4.5, ISO400, 28mm (24-105)
Great light. It's beautiful.
 

Mr Bean

EOS 7D MK II
Sep 15, 2012
555
2
Australia
PTT said:
Zion National Park. The Watchman stands near the entrance to the park above the town of Springdale which lends its lights the the mountain. 4:30am, 6D. 30 sec, f4.5, ISO400, 28mm (24-105)
Wow, stunning pic.
 

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
6,149
1,082
Alberta, Canada
All shots are very nice - thanks. :)

I've wondered about using my LED macro ring light for forground. It has variable output. Still to cold to be doing much outside!!

Jack