Stars above.

Mid winter, southern hemisphere night sky.
5D3 with Zeiss 15mm
30 seconds @ f2.8 ISO 1600
378A4770_Stars_above.jpg

Click said:
Great shot. Nicely done.
Thanks Click.

wopbv4 said:
Beautiful shot.

I tried something similar with 8-15 mm fisheye, but I had too much light pollution from Margaret River (WA) Town nearby.
Thanks wopbv4. I'm about an hours drive nth of Melbourne and faced a similar issue (light pollution). I did one shot at ISO 3200 but that just brought out the light pollution, rather than more stars (plus sensor noise). In LR I did increase the contrast and added a touch of NR.

In a month or so, I'll head down to Wilsons Prom Nat Park, which is a beaut location for a south facing sky. Then I'll try again :)

Upvote 0
Last summer, there was no sleeping space left in our cabin in the mountains, so i took my sleeping bag outside...
The Zwischbergental is a remote valley in the southern part of switzerland, the mountainline is more or less the border to italy. the yellowish light pollution on the left side is Domodossola, Italy.
From 22:30PM till 2AM (where i woke up again and saw that clouds came in) my 600D, fitted with a borrowed Tokina 11-16, took some 30s exposures. I finally had time to do the movie. Enjoy!

Version A: everyting together:

Sternenhimmel über dem Zwüschbi by SwissBear85, on Flickr

Version B: One frame after another (12 FPS for more drama, upscaled to 24FPS):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swissbear85/9075423809/#secret6f29399cb0

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
SwissBear said:
Last summer, there was no sleeping space left in our cabin in the mountains, so i took my sleeping bag outside...
The Zwischbergental is a remote valley in the southern part of switzerland, the mountainline is more or less the border to italy. the yellowish light pollution on the left side is Domodossola, Italy.
From 22:30PM till 2AM (where i woke up again and saw that clouds came in) my 600D, fitted with a borrowed Tokina 11-16, took some 30s exposures. I finally had time to do the movie. Enjoy!

Very nice shot. I love your video too. Nicely done.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2012
wopbv4 said:
....... I had too much light pollution from Margaret River (WA) Town nearby.

That's a very manageable level of light pollution and easily processed out, based on the amount of detail visible in the Milky Way. I visited Perth/Fremantle >30 years ago, I'll never forget the night skies.

A couple of quick processing tutorials I put together for my astronomy club friends, specifically for dealing with moderate amounts of light pollution. First one is for Photoshop, second for GIMP.

pbase(dot)com(slash)emagowan(slash)processing
pbase(dot)com(slash)emagowan(slash)processing_with_gimp

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
emag said:
wopbv4 said:

That's a very manageable level of light pollution and easily processed out, based on the amount of detail visible in the Milky Way. I visited Perth/Fremantle >30 years ago, I'll never forget the night skies.

A couple of quick processing tutorials I put together for my astronomy club friends, specifically for dealing with moderate amounts of light pollution. First one is for Photoshop, second for GIMP.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0
emag said:
wopbv4 said:

Thanks emag. I just tried the Photoshop example and the results are stunning. Thanks for the info :)

Upvote 0
I love those shots with the Milky Way. I have seen some stunning photos like that, but I have never seen the Milky Way like that myself. Does it look that way to the naked eye, or is it only in the photos that it comes out.

(Sorry to post such a naive question, but I really want to learn how to do this).

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
dbuono1865 said:
Milky Way over the Delicate Arch - Arches National Park - Moab, Utah

You can see more pics from my road trip at http://www.buonophotography.com/p739655009

I can probably download it and see if it is in the meta data, but I'm lazy. What shutter speed, aperture, focal length, if you don't mind.

If I were to guess I'd say, 24mm, 1/30th shutterspeed (before star trails kick in), side flash lighting of the arch, and an iso of 3200... with grain clean up in post.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
MrFotoFool said:
I love those shots with the Milky Way. I have seen some stunning photos like that, but I have never seen the Milky Way like that myself. Does it look that way to the naked eye, or is it only in the photos that it comes out.

(Sorry to post such a naive question, but I really want to learn how to do this).

Too many of us live in cities or near cities where light pollution is rampant. I think you see star like this when you are out in the ocean (not a cruise because they light the walkways) or out in a national park where it a city is over 50+ miles away.

I think it does look like this to the naked eye, but you have to wait a while for your "night vision" to kick in. There are a very specialized set of rods in your eye that are specifically designed to see in near pitch black and that takes a while to work.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
dbuono1865 said:

You can see more pics from my road trip at http://www.buonophotography.com/p739655009

I can probably download it and see if it is in the meta data, but I'm lazy. What shutter speed, aperture, focal length, if you don't mind.

If I were to guess I'd say, 24mm, 1/30th shutterspeed (before star trails kick in), side flash lighting of the arch, and an iso of 3200... with grain clean up in post.

Shot settings -- ISO 6400, 17mm, f4 (wide open), 20 seconds. Would have shot at 3200 if I had f2.8 lens. Also, grain cleaned up in post, some clarity to bring out the Milky Way and turned down greens in horizon line (all in Lightroom). As for star trails, there is a formula to avoid -- rule is divide 500 by 35mm (equivalent) of focal length. So with my full frame sensor shot -- shutter length cannot exceed 500/17 or 29 seconds.

Upvote 0
MrFotoFool said:

The Milky Way really looks like that in person (just need very dark, out in nowhere area, to avoid city lights). Look at post above to see settings for taking pic and avoiding star trails.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
dbuono1865 said:
jdramirez said:
dbuono1865 said:

Shot settings -- ISO 6400, 17mm, f4 (wide open), 20 seconds. Would have shot at 3200 if I had f2.8 lens. Also, grain cleaned up in post, some clarity to bring out the Milky Way and turned down greens in horizon line (all in Lightroom). As for star trails, there is a formula to avoid -- rule is divide 500 by 35mm (equivalent) of focal length. So with my full frame sensor shot -- shutter length cannot exceed 500/17 or 29 seconds.

I'm not even drunk. I'm meant 30 seconds... not sure why I put 1/30.

Upvote 0