Stars above.

dbuono1865 said:
Milky Way over the Delicate Arch - Arches National Park - Moab, Utah

You can see more pics from my road trip at http://www.buonophotography.com/p739655009
Nice pic. Love the arch :)

MrFotoFool said:
I love those shots with the Milky Way. I have seen some stunning photos like that, but I have never seen the Milky Way like that myself. Does it look that way to the naked eye, or is it only in the photos that it comes out.

(Sorry to post such a naive question, but I really want to learn how to do this).
To a point, you can see the milkyway. But the eye is less sensitive to colour (in faint light). In a dark environment, like this location in the pic, you can see the structure of the milkyway, but the detail and colour will come up better in a photograph.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
I have actually seen it that way with the naked eye- I was in Tanzania, Ngorongoro crater. It was stunning. And no, I didn't take any pics- big mistake. Went back second time and almost no stars-clouds and rain. Big mistake.

sek

MrFotoFool said:
I love those shots with the Milky Way. I have seen some stunning photos like that, but I have never seen the Milky Way like that myself. Does it look that way to the naked eye, or is it only in the photos that it comes out.

(Sorry to post such a naive question, but I really want to learn how to do this).

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
True.

Cones sense color
Rods sense light

quote author=jdramirez link=topic=15342.msg290893#msg290893 date=1373760293]
MrFotoFool said:

Too many of us live in cities or near cities where light pollution is rampant. I think you see star like this when you are out in the ocean (not a cruise because they light the walkways) or out in a national park where it a city is over 50+ miles away.

I think it does look like this to the naked eye, but you have to wait a while for your "night vision" to kick in. There are a very specialized set of rods in your eye that are specifically designed to see in near pitch black and that takes a while to work.
[/quote]

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
jdramirez said:
I want to do some star trails, but I don't trust my wired shutter release... so I'm putting that on the back burner. I wish I could just look up and see the north star... but they all look like as far as I'm concerned.
All you have to do is follow the instructions

Attachments

• polaris.jpg
    polaris.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,456
Upvote 0

Jules

Sunset Lover
Dec 1, 2011
Paris
jdramirez said:
I want to do some star trails, but I don't trust my wired shutter release... so I'm putting that on the back burner. I wish I could just look up and see the north star... but they all look like as far as I'm concerned.

You can get Google Sky Map for Android phones for example ... helps when you are not used to it and when it is not really dark (other light noise around)

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Jules said:
jdramirez said:

You can get Google Sky Map for Android phones for example ... helps when you are not used to it and when it is not really dark (other light noise around)

I have two of the programs for my phone... A while back, it didn't recognize the name, Polaris. So that didn't help. Maybe it has since been updated, but I don't think I use that one anymore.

The other program recognized polaris, but it wouldn't direct me to it. I'll keep playing with it.

Upvote 0