Stars above.

Living in western new york it is not easy to find places free of light pollution. I've checked the light pollution maps and yup, pretty much the whole north east is a big blob of light except for a few areas along lake Ontario, lake erie, and the upstate region between albany and plattburg. That said, I've had some luck both inside the city and south and north.

Attachments

• IMG_3118.jpg
    IMG_3118.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 1,281
  • CAPM8251-Edit-Edit.jpg
    CAPM8251-Edit-Edit.jpg
    784.4 KB · Views: 1,267
  • CAPM9623.jpg
    CAPM9623.jpg
    574.8 KB · Views: 1,306
Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Chuck Alaimo said:
Living in western new york it is not easy to find places free of light pollution. I've checked the light pollution maps and yup, pretty much the whole north east is a big blob of light except for a few areas along lake Ontario, lake erie, and the upstate region between albany and plattburg. That said, I've had some luck both inside the city and south and north. mg

light pollution maps.... I'm going to do a Google search, but do you have one site you prefer?

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
Living in western new york it is not easy to find places free of light pollution. I've checked the light pollution maps and yup, pretty much the whole north east is a big blob of light except for a few areas along lake Ontario, lake erie, and the upstate region between albany and plattburg. That said, I've had some luck both inside the city and south and north. mg

light pollution maps.... I'm going to do a Google search, but do you have one site you prefer?

that's all i did, google search...not sure what the best one is though...all the ones i saw though showed a ton of light action in the whole northeast...with little pockets here and there. tough thing too is with the best spots being so far away, you kind of have to make it a full day adventure - the few times i have just gone out at night fell into the trap of...great...it's dark, i don't know where I'm going....lol

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Chuck Alaimo said:
jdramirez said:
Chuck Alaimo said:

that's all i did, google search...not sure what the best one is though...all the ones i saw though showed a ton of light action in the whole northeast...with little pockets here and there. tough thing too is with the best spots being so far away, you kind of have to make it a full day adventure - the few times i have just gone out at night fell into the trap of...great...it's dark, i don't know where I'm going....lol

I did some night shooting last night. I knew I wanted to do some shots in a corn fields and I came away with some solid shots. I was thinking that I might just drive twenty miles north and see what happens... but I was either sleepy or lazy and just went home.

Upvote 0
Just passing through....

5D3 with Zeiss 15mm f2.8
ISO 1600, 30sec @ f4
Fill flash for the road sign
378A5260_Night_sky_St_Andrews_mian_road.jpg

Upvote 0
tron said:
jdramirez said:
I want to do some star trails, but I don't trust my wired shutter release... so I'm putting that on the back burner. I wish I could just look up and see the north star... but they all look like as far as I'm concerned.
All you have to do is follow the instructions

Or... face true north (use a compass and factor in your magnetic declination for that area) and then look your latitude in degrees above the horizon. Polaris is not very impressive.

Upvote 0
Weatherman said we were supposed to get a thunderstorm with a whole bunch of clouds so I decided NOT to take the 3 hour drive to dark sky territory I had planned.

Then just before midnight...the clouds VANISHED.

So I jumped in the car and booked it as far north as I could in an hour.

Not ideal, but fairly dark skies.

Played around for a few hours.

Below is a composite. About 18 or so meteors & the Milky Way.

6D, Tokina 11-16mm at 16mm, 2.8, 6400, 25 seconds.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegardnerphotography/9495275095/#

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
Mr Bean said:
Just passing through....

5D3 with Zeiss 15mm f2.8
ISO 1600, 30sec @ f4
Fill flash for the road sign
378A5260_Night_sky_St_Andrews_mian_road.jpg

I'm looking at it on my phone, but the road sign looks fake, like it was copy and pasted. I know it wasn't, but it does.
Its real. I took 3 pics in total. The first to calibrate the exposure for the stars. The second, is this one. The third, I moved the tripod closer to the sign. But the sign overwhelmed the image, plus, the flash lit up some of the trees in the background.

I probably spent more time getting there and setting up the camera, rather than actually taking the pic :)

Upvote 0

EdB

Oct 4, 2012
Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
EdB said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
Living in western new york it is not easy to find places free of light pollution.

This is one of the best places on the east coast, probably not too far of a drive for you. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/cherrysprings/ Haven't been there myself but I do plan to go someday. Five hour drive for me and planning around the weather can be tough.

3.3 hours for me... I hate driving... Maybe if it was within an hour... Maybe I can get the local camera club to carpool.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
Mr Bean said:
LOALTD said:
Milky way over Stonehenge WWII memorial in South-Central Washington:
Nice. What was the source of illumination on the memorial?

Beaut pics on your link :)

based on the color and the religious considerations, I'm going to guess it was the devil.
LOL, that was my next guess :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0