Stars above.

I finally got to find some real dark skies down in Moab, UT. It's almost frightening how dark it is when the moon goes down (especially when you're foolishly hiking without a flashlight):

This is the kind of light you get at moonset, my new favorite time!:

Water, Snow and Stars by yorgasor, on Flickr

Stars over Moab by yorgasor, on Flickr

Arches Entrance by yorgasor, on Flickr

The last of the moonlight, shining up in the clouds as it goes down:

Stars at Moonset by yorgasor, on Flickr

The moon fully down, waaaay dark. Fortunately I was close to my car at this point.

Delicate Arch Viewpoint by yorgasor, on Flickr

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Oh, I love the last posts, guys. Any advice you're willing to give to someone who's yet to do anything like this. I'll be out any day now but just in my yard where it's not particularly scenic, but it's not city. What lenses and times, exposure etc., is always helpful.

I presume the Sky Tracker is not at all useful in doing the shots with landscape due to motion blur?

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Oh, I love the last posts, guys. Any advice you're willing to give to someone who's yet to do anything like this. I'll be out any day now but just in my yard where it's not particularly scenic, but it's not city. What lenses and times, exposure etc., is always helpful.

I presume the Sky Tracker is not at all useful in doing the shots with landscape due to motion blur?

Jack

My go-to exposure for dark skies is f/2.8, 30" and 1600 ISO. Start with that and see how it looks; you may need to lower the ISO with the given light pollution or lower the shutter speed if you start to see stars trailing (if that's not the intended effect!)

You won't need/can't really use a sky tracker when shooting a landscape (it's more for deep space photography) unless you superimpose the foreground/landscape from a separate exposure.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Well it took a while but finally a reasonably clear sky. I set up the iOptron sky tracker as best I could and took some shots with 300 X1.4. ISO 640 F9 30 sec. Being totally new to this I don't have a clue from any perspective. I don't know my stars or anything! :(

Is there anything to be gleaned from this sample shot. I have a timer/remote release on order so I'm guessing that pressing the shutter has affected the shot?? Any suggestions anyone?

I know this little unit is not made for the 300 II but with a smooth gimble and care things were pretty stable. A little tricky to get Polaris right but I'm guessing I did based on minimal trails, or is 30 sec too low to show that??

Jack

Attachments

• Sky420_4699.JPG
    Sky420_4699.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,510
Upvote 0
W

wildlifeandmore

My first attempt at photographing the milky way. Taken last June along Antelope Flats in GTNP. Afraid I do not have a fast enough wide angle lens to really get some detail in the sky. I do have the nifty fifty and might give it a try this summer. Just have to walk backwards a bit. Need more practice at this!
Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 17-40mm L
17mm
f/4
24 seconds
6400 iso
580ex flash dialed way down (can not remember) during exposure.

Attachments

• DE2C2636 1600.jpg
    DE2C2636 1600.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 1,452
Upvote 0
W

wildlifeandmore

Jack Douglas said:
wildlifeandmore, that ranks up there with what I'd love to try. Very appealing!

If I could just figure out how to move the mountains 300 miles closer.

Jack
Thanks Jack. Wish I could help with moving them for you. Might be worth a drive someday?
Wondering if you of anyone else knows of a good lighting source for night photos to light up a relatively close foreground subject? Flash seems too hot and gives an odd hue. Need something to give an even spread of light for the frame.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
wildlifeandmore said:
Jack Douglas said:
wildlifeandmore, that ranks up there with what I'd love to try. Very appealing!

If I could just figure out how to move the mountains 300 miles closer.

Jack
Thanks Jack. Wish I could help with moving them for you. Might be worth a drive someday?
Wondering if you of anyone else knows of a good lighting source for night photos to light up a relatively close foreground subject? Flash seems too hot and gives an odd hue. Need something to give an even spread of light for the frame.

I've used my phone for close up foreground objects. My one flashlight has a function where I can choose the lcd as a flash light and I can make the color red, green, blue, etc. The lcd light doesn't reflect harshly and it adds a little subtle color/light to the foreground...

Flashlight by smalltech.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
wildlifeandmore said:
My first attempt at photographing the milky way. Taken last June along Antelope Flats in GTNP. Afraid I do not have a fast enough wide angle lens to really get some detail in the sky. I do have the nifty fifty and might give it a try this summer. Just have to walk backwards a bit. Need more practice at this!
Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 17-40mm L
17mm
f/4
24 seconds
6400 iso
580ex flash dialed way down (can not remember) during exposure.

Lovely shot. 8) Well done.

Upvote 0