Still waiting for 1DX Mark III

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
This is not encouraging: From the Amazon website:

FREE Delivery: March 20- April 29...usually ships within 1 to 3 months

I wonder what impact the Corona Virus is or will have on shipments. While cameras are made in Japan, I think a lot of supporting materials (manuals, boxes, card readers, cards, etc.) are farmed out to other countries. Also wondering if shipping channels are impacted. And, do they package the product in Japan, or do they manufacture in Japan and then contract with suppliers in another country to package the product?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Posted this already on another thread, but I talked to Canon Direct store today. I was told that after the initial stock ran out on Feb. 13, they were backordered 1,600 orders.
Yes, thats typical. Those who preorder on the first day or two get their cameras, but when demand is higher than expected, latecomers will have to wait for the 2nd or 3rd shipment. Stocking stores in countries around the world takes a huge number of cameras, and the factory plans a production rate based on sales forecasts. Its just impossible to make enough initially when a product popularity exceeds predictions.

The Coronavirus may indeed be affecting production, I'll bet Canon is scrambling to get components, and is having to pay more for them than expected. It may get worse. If I wanted the MK III, I'd order one immediately, because they may be very hard to get later. Unfortunately, my wrists can no longer take the weight.

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2014
Yes, thats typical. Those who preorder on the first day or two get their cameras, but when demand is higher than expected, latecomers will have to wait for the 2nd or 3rd shipment. Stocking stores in countries around the world takes a huge number of cameras, and the factory plans a production rate based on sales forecasts. Its just impossible to make enough initially when a product popularity exceeds predictions.

The Coronavirus may indeed be affecting production, I'll bet Canon is scrambling to get components, and is having to pay more for them than expected. It may get worse. If I wanted the MK III, I'd order one immediately, because they may be very hard to get later. Unfortunately, my wrists can no longer take the weight.

I wonder how quickly the factory can produce the cameras. I assume they're assembled by hand, and if there's thousands in line on backorder lists it could be months until all orders are fulfilled. Not to mention slowdowns due to coronavirus in Asia.

Upvote 0