Stir crazy lockdown moon shots.

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
All taken last night, before the full moon in case tonight and tomorrow night are a bust (which it looks like tonight might be, cloud!) 7DII 600mm f/4L and 1.4xIII or 2xIII converters. Taken using live view focus on a tripod, I took one shot hand held and then got sensible about holding that lot up! :ROFLMAO:
Full exif can be found on Flickr.

Moon lightly processed at 840mm.
SE0A6313_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Moon lightly processed at 1200mm.
SE0A6356_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Moon processed with DxO Clearview (strong processing) at 840mm.

Moon processed with DxO Clearview (strong processing) at 1200mm.

Still can’t see the tyre tracks from the lunar rover! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Stay safe, stay in if you can, be well please.

Cheers, Graham.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Hi Folks.
All taken last night, before the full moon in case tonight and tomorrow night are a bust (which it looks like tonight might be, cloud!) 7DII 600mm f/4L and 1.4xIII or 2xIII converters. Taken using live view focus on a tripod, I took one shot hand held and then got sensible about holding that lot up! :ROFLMAO:

Cheers, Graham.

And, hey, there should be a black dot in the middle of Tycho for TMA-1. Maybe with the 83 MP rumored to be on the way...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi Folks.

Cheers, Graham.
They are pretty good, Graham. There is just enough shadow from it not being full moon to give some detail.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Alan.
Thank you, I can’t ever seem to get the focus on the moon any better. I look at other moon shots posted here with the same or similar gear (and sometimes much lesser gear) and I just wonder why!

Cheers, Graham.

They are pretty good, Graham. There is just enough shadow from it not being full moon to give some detail.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
M6II, 100-400LII, 2XIII, spot metering, Fv with ISO 100 and f/11. Liking Fv as I use it more.

Processed using DxO PhotoLab3 with specified options. I prefer a lighter touch on some of their controls.

Prime noise reduction only.
IMG_1107nrprime20.jpg

Prime noise reduction, Smart Lighting 20, ClearView Plus 20, Microcontrast 16.
IMG_1107nrprime20sl20cvp20mc16.jpg

Prime noise reduction, Smart Lighting 50, ClearView Plus 50, Microcontrast 16.
IMG_1107nrprime20sl50cvp50mc16.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Dcm.
Sorry, I can’t fathom out what you mean by Fv?
Really nice shot(s) and processing. Do you find any benefit from prime on low ISO shots, I don’t believe I see a difference on the 7DII below ISO 800?
Whereabouts are you, I’m in southern England and there is a significant difference in our views, or have you cropped and rotated, or is it just because it is a different night? :unsure: I’ve just been taking shots an hour ago and I can’t remember the orientation! :ROFLMAO:

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Hi Dcm.
Really nice shot(s) and processing. Do you find any benefit from prime on low ISO shots, I don’t believe I see a difference on the 7DII below ISO 800?
Whereabouts are you, I’m in southern England and there is a significant difference in our views, or have you cropped and rotated, or is it just because it is a different night? :unsure: I’ve just been taking shots an hour ago and I can’t remember the orientation! :ROFLMAO:

Cheers, Graham.

Fv is a new mode (to go along with Av, Tv, M, etc) that appears on the R, RP, M6-II and (I think) the 90D. It lets you set any or all of sides of the exposure triangle (ISO, A, T) in any combination (or set none of them at all) and then have whatever you don't set be auto. So it basically mimics all of the other modes, in combination, depending on what you specifically set.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Hi Dcm.

Cheers, Graham.

Graham.

Fv is a new option on the mode dial that lets you easily manipulate any or all of the major settings (Tv, Av, +/-, ISO). You can let some be AUTO while you change the others. A combination of Tv/Av/P/M without changing the mode dial and reflects the full move to digital. Great when looking through the viewfinder or working from the screen, it's all in one place. Don't think I'll need to touch the mode dial anymore.

Last time I shot the moon was a T2i/550D and a 70-200f4L. Low ISO seemed to work better to my recollection. Only took a few last night. If it's clear I'll go back out tonight and shoot with other ISOs for comparison.

Image was last night around 11:30 PM (GMT-6) in northern Colorado (40.55N). Differences are the latitude and moon rotation. Lower latitude raises Tycho (large crater to south), rotation mover Copernicus and Kepler to the left in relation to Tycho.

Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Another clear night. Here's another sequence on the M6II. Only difference is ISO and corresponding shutter speed. These were processed identically in DxO PhotoLab 3 with prime noise reduction at 20. Additional noise reduction might help at higher ISOs, otherwise they are pretty similar unless you are pixel peeping. Images are full size crops.

My Nikon School Handbook from the film days suggests ASA/ISO 64, 1/250, f/8 and bracketing for a full moon with elevation above 40 degrees.

(Edit: added a shot at ISO 3200. Wish I had take some at 6400, 12800, and 25600)

IMG_1205iso.jpg

IMG_1203iso.jpg

IMG_1202iso.jpg

IMG_1201iso.jpg

IMG_1199iso.jpg

IMG_1149iso.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0