dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
Read.
Understand.
Comprehend.
Then delete your photos.
Then delete your account.

Well, that's what I would do if I had ever used it.
But I urge you all to do the same (you can keep the photos on your own pc, fine, but just take them off the website).
If we let companies like this get away with massive copyright infringements like this, then more will be tempted to do the same. Send a message now, otherwise facebook and flickr will be next, then anything you've ever sent on gmail and yahoo, and after that Canon will claim all the photos you ever make on one of their cameras.

Why the big uproar?! In the current economic climate I think it's a good thing that a small local business like Facebook will buy instagram and make a good use of all these photos. They can then sell the photos to other poor companies that cant afford to hire a photographer. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history!

Upvote 0
Sith Zombie said:
Why the big uproar?! In the current economic climate I think it's a good thing that a small local business like Facebook will buy instagram and make a good use of all these photos. They can then sell the photos to other poor companies that cant afford to hire a photographer. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history!

You are joking right?

Upvote 0
Northstar said:
Sith Zombie said:

You are joking right?

Yeah I'm joking, did the montypython quote not give it away? I guess if you don't know the quote, then you don't know it. No harm done

Upvote 0
dr croubie said:
Read.
Understand.
Comprehend.
Then delete your photos.
Then delete your account.

Well, that's what I would do if I had ever used it.
But I urge you all to do the same (you can keep the photos on your own pc, fine, but just take them off the website).
If we let companies like this get away with massive copyright infringements like this, then more will be tempted to do the same. Send a message now, otherwise facebook and flickr will be next, then anything you've ever sent on gmail and yahoo, and after that Canon will claim all the photos you ever make on one of their cameras.

I never used instagram. It's WAY too mainstream for me!

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Northstar said:
Good post/information dr croubie

I might be wrong, but I can't see them getting away with this long term....people that produce good photos WILL stop using them, and instagram will be left with poor quality/uninteresting amateur point and shoot and mobile phone shots.

Not so. Instagram KNOWS that the average person will not change their habits.
...and Instagram was just bought by Facebook...BEFORE this policy was instituted.
I know I am in the minority....but I would NEVER have a Facebook page. The reasons are just too many to list....WAY too many. It's just not a safe or very intelligent thing to do. Truly.
It's as if you have left the front door to your home wide open.

Upvote 0
Sith Zombie said:
Northstar said:
Sith Zombie said:

You are joking right?

Yeah I'm joking, did the montypython quote not give it away? I guess if you don't know the quote, then you don't know it. No harm done

ok, funny, i haven't seen montypython in years.

Upvote 0
infared said:
Northstar said:
Good post/information dr croubie

I might be wrong, but I can't see them getting away with this long term....people that produce good photos WILL stop using them, and instagram will be left with poor quality/uninteresting amateur point and shoot and mobile phone shots.

Not so. Instagram KNOWS that the average person will not change their habits.
...and Instagram was just bought by Facebook.
I know I am in the minority....but I would NEVER have a Facebook page. The reasons are just too many to list....WAY too many. It's just not a safe or very intelligent thing to do. Truly.

I had a Facebook page about 3 years ago but canceled it. I can see the value in it sometimes but I survived a long time before facebook arrived and hopefully will still be doing so after it has gone.

Upvote 0
infared said:

Safe? Intelligent? Aren't you the guy who took a photo walk on the Jersey shore during the worst hurricane NJ ever had????

Just kidding, Bob!! I know you're smart about everything you do, and those hurricane pictures are still the best I've seen anyone take regarding that disaster.

This Instagram thing has me puzzled. They certainly have a right to change their policy (and I and everyone else have the right not to participate), but they must think two things:

1. Most Instagram users won't care and will even be flattered that some corporate entity is using their images. "Wow, dude, Frito-Lay is using one of my snaps in their TV commercial -- awesome!"

2. The quality of photography has fallen to a level that any kind of junk is now acceptable.

This is really huge news. I'll be watching to see what happens. If there is no mass rebellion, it spells real trouble in the world of image ownership.

Upvote 0
Northstar said:
Sith Zombie said:
Northstar said:
Sith Zombie said:

You are joking right?

ok, funny, i haven't seen montypython in years.

LOL!! Oh that's rich! I was just about to post to Northstar to re-read it! (I was gonna say, "Come On Northstar!! How could you miss that!?")

IMHO - Anyone who spends more than $100 on a camera these days and decides to upload content online should not be so naive as to think that 90% of the places the photos go will not be collection bins for free content to the provider where all of their rights will be stripped away. Really. It's no secret and hasn't been for years. It's really pretty simple... Either pay for a respected service like Zenfolio or SmugMug, et al. and protect your rights or use free services and lose your image rights. Simple choice if you ask me. It's not like the paid services really cost that much either. $50 a year? Big whoop.

Here's my Zenfolio Referral Code if you decide to buy Zenfolio...
https://secure.zenfolio.com/zf/signup/plans.aspx

6KC-FPW-PWR

I just read this story (below) and planned to post a warning on CR but the OP beat me to it. I don't use any of these online services to post images myself except to share the occasional phone pic or family photo but if I did, I would assume they were going to eventually be shared with the world without my permission. That's just the reality of it.

http://www.zdnet.com/so-instagram-can-now-sell-your-photos-get-over-it-7000008960/

Upvote 0
BTW - the point that the article I link to makes is that the lion's share of the photos on instagram are...

"... grainy, dark, fuzzy out of focus images ..." and " Let it sort through the millions of family, pet, ‘action’ and party photos to find a great image with good composition, framing and colour." and " ... your bar room drunken cell phone uploads will never quite make the grade ...".

The point the columnist makes is there are 5 billion photos to sort through and most of them are crap.

Unfortunately, I agree with distant.star in that the majority of people now have a very low standard for what is considered an acceptable image. It's pretty sad. Makes me wonder why I care so much sometimes.

Upvote 0
Taking the copyrights to any images posted has been Facebook's policy for at least 4 years now, and when they bought Instagram they obviously implemented the policy there too. One more reason why I hate Facebook and refuse to post any images on one of their services.

Flickr does not assume any rights to your images. They were quite explicit on that when I signed up for my Flickr account. I'm pretty sure that Google's products do not assume any rights to your images either, but I don't use them so I'm not certain.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.