Stuck filter on Zeiss 15 :( - help needed

I don't want to damage my shiny Zeiss 15, but a polarizer is heavily stuck on it. I think it gently hit something with the front of the filter because it looks it's not straight on the lens. I never use force when screwing filters on a lens...

Any suggestions to fix it? It's really stuck and pliers are not an option. Also the wrench tool doesn't fit because of the fixed lens hood. I tried to remove it by using the 'outside' teeth of two wrench tools (on both sides between the parts of the hood), but there is no movement at all :(

Here's two photos:

http://s29.postimg.org/tat57fl3b/IMG_9634.jpg
http://s29.postimg.org/cbk6s69vr/IMG_9635.jpg

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
niels123 said:
I don't want to damage my shiny Zeiss 15, but a polarizer is heavily stuck on it. I think it gently hit something with the front of the filter because it looks it's not straight on the lens. I never use force when screwing filters on a lens...

Any suggestions to fix it? It's really stuck and pliers are not an option. Also the wrench tool doesn't fit because of the fixed lens hood. I tried to remove it by using the 'outside' teeth of two wrench tools (on both sides between the parts of the hood), but there is no movement at all :(

Here's to photos:

it looks like it is cross-threaded.....

do you have any way to cool the polarizing filter without cooling the lens? If you can cool it, the metal will shrink a very tiny amount and that might be enough to make a difference.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
niels123 said:

Here's to photos:

it looks like it is cross-threaded.....

do you have any way to cool the polarizing filter without cooling the lens? If you can cool it, the metal will shrink a very tiny amount and that might be enough to make a difference.

I have a freezer with cooling elements and access to liquid nitrogen. I'm afraid though, that liquid nitrogen will cause the filter glass to break and cooling the filter without cooling the lens is difficult. Also, heating the lens (hood) is tricky because heat is not good for the lenses itself...

Upvote 0
What a nightmare!

It looks like the filter was a turn or two out then the bump has knocked one side in cross threading the filter, it's hard enough unscrewing a dust filled filter, all I can advise is applying presure evenly around the whole ring as gripping one side often distorts and locks the threads making it hard to unscrew, I find using a flat hand to press and turn without gripping the sides is best to unscrew hard to move filters, what with the hood it makes it harder!

Upvote 0
arthurbikemad said:
What a nightmare!

It looks like the filter was a turn or two out then the bump has knocked one side in cross threading the filter, it's hard enough unscrewing a dust filled filter, all I can advise is applying presure evenly around the whole ring as gripping one side often distorts and locks the threads making it hard to unscrew, I find using a flat hand to press and turn without gripping the sides is best to unscrew hard to move filters, what with the hood it makes it harder!

I know. The problem is that it is a very thin polarizer. If you just use a flat hand, press and turn then you only turn the front part of the filter itself.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
arthurbikemad said:
What a nightmare!

+1

Because it's a CPL, the spanner wrench type of filter remover (rubber or metal) won't work, either.

Can you fit a rubber band around the filter, inside the fixed hood, then twist the slack part of the band to tighten it around the filter, and use that as a lever?

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
arthurbikemad said:
What a nightmare!

+1

Because it's a CPL, the spanner wrench type of filter remover (rubber or metal) won't work, either.

Can you fit a rubber band around the filter, inside the fixed hood, then twist the slack part of the band to tighten it around the filter, and use that as a lever?

I tried, but the as soon as you apply tension, the band simply 'lifts' instead of nicely tightening around the filter.

How much change to you give cooling and how much cooling would still be safe for the filter?

Upvote 0

NWPhil

one eye; one shot - multiple misses
Oct 4, 2011
you better take it to a good camera repair store right away.
- be prepared to loose the filter

not sure which brand it is, but worst case scenario, you would be to remove the filter glass - probably cracking it, which represents a challenge by itself.
Then, protect the lens body and shade as best as possible and with some wide mouth pliers - like this one's:
http://www.irwin.com/tools/pliers-adjustable-wrenches/groovelock-pliers, squeeze the filter out of the rim. That would preserve the lens threads or what's left of them
I was able to remove a stuck thread stuck filter on my departed ef 80-200mm. The filter was already without glass, so I applied some gaffer tape around the rim, and then was just a matter of brute force, while making sure that only the filter rim was being squeezed. The filter eventually pop-out after made look like a 8 and getting the tape out

I would not have enough @@ to do this on the Zeiss....

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2015
If you have a wide-opening plumber's wrench, you could to outside to outside of filter, an twist by 10-15 degrees per turn where the hood has an opening. A tiny amount of creeping oil (WD-40 in the US) may also help, spray on cotton swab, then rub cotton along visible threads. Cooling with ice also sounds good; I'd stay away from LN2.

Camera repair shop may be an even better option, particularly considering this is a $4K lens.

Upvote 0
Zeidora said:
If you have a wide-opening plumber's wrench, you could to outside to outside of filter, an twist by 10-15 degrees per turn where the hood has an opening. A tiny amount of creeping oil (WD-40 in the US) may also help, spray on cotton swab, then rub cotton along visible threads. Cooling with ice also sounds good; I'd stay away from LN2.

Camera repair shop may be an even better option, particularly considering this is a $4K lens.

I think Camera repair shops don't have experience with these lenses. If I'd go there and they get to remove the filter with the threads of the lens damaged, it will be very difficult to prove that they did this. Therefore, I will make a phone call to Zeiss directly when they are open again tomorrow. This will probably the most expensive filter removal ever for me...

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Know the feeling. I dropped my 70-200mm on its head and dented the filter.
Still can't get it off.
A rubber band is a good start.
You can get a jam jar opener and try that (its a thick rubber thing)

If you really want to go risky.
Score the glass of the filter to break it and take the glass out.
Cover the glass on your lens
Hacksaw the edges of the filter and twist it inwards.
The filter comes off.
A High risk process.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
If you have a chunk of metal that would be the appropriate size to rest against the filter, throw the chunk in the freezer for a few hours and then use that to cool the filter.

I would not try heating the lens..... to much potential for disaster..... same for liquid nitrogen :)

You just want a bit of cooling as anything extreme could be a shattering experience.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
niels123 said:
Zeidora said:

I think Camera repair shops don't have experience with these lenses. If I'd go there and they get to remove the filter with the threads of the lens damaged, it will be very difficult to prove that they did this. Therefore, I will make a phone call to Zeiss directly when they are open again tomorrow. This will probably the most expensive filter removal ever for me...

That is the safest course of action.....

Cross threaded devices are hard to deal with at the best of times.... the obstructions from the lens hood and the rotating outer element of the polarizing filter make it worse..

There is no shame in admitting that something is beyond your abilities and sending it off to the experts (Zeiss).... but there is lots of embarrassment in breaking an expensive lens.... Also note that Zeiss will be able to clean up the threading on the lens... if it isn't done you will continue to have filter problems in the future.

Upvote 0
if you still want to do it yourself, the filter seems to have a ring that's holding the glass in place. There are two notches on it and you might be able to turn and unscrew that ring. This should make the glass come out and let you butcher the outside ring as already described. A call to the filter manufacturer might get you the replacement part too.

On the other hand, anything but sending it to Zeiss is a gamble!

pierre

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I'd suggest a nylon tie wrap. They have little plastic teeth on the inside that will give them a grip but will not damage the filter. Measure the OD of the filter to get the right length, they are available in the electrical section of Home Depot, Lowes, and even Harbor Freight. Don't worry if they also grip the front part of the filter, there are some teeth on the rear part that it will grab, the front can turn with it. Use the small knob and extra tie material to rotate it. You will only be able to turn it a partial turn, but if that loosens it, you can slip it off and toss it. You may have to use additional ones if a partial turn does not loosen it.

The issue may be clearance with the hood.

I don't like those filter wrenches myself. I bought a adjustable filter removal tool at Micro Tools a few years back, and its great. It adjusts to fit pretty much any size filter securely and easily. They are now selling the ones I don't like. It is basically a strap wrench concept, but its 1/4 wide and works well. I've searched for more of them, but no luck.

As a final resort, send it to me, and I'll remove the filter and return it promptly. (I might keep the lens for my effort ;) )

Attachments

• EDW_8800.JPG
    EDW_8800.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 173
Upvote 0
Today I contacted Carl Zeiss Germany. They can try to remove the filter. If the lens thread is not damaged, it will cost about 100 euros. If the lens thread needs to be replaced, the replacement will cost an additional 250 euros.

The most surprising part (for me) is: if Zeiss damages the front element when removing the filter, I will have to pay for it. In my opinion, when I pay a company to fix something, they also have to pay for additional damage that they might make.

Upvote 0