Suggestions / Issues with the New CR Site

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
One more really small nag point: I can't put a blank space in between bulleted lists (so far that I can find)

Single space only is A-OK when I am doing this:
  • this
  • is
  • for
  • quick-hit
  • lists
  • of
  • things
But this is a meaty mess of words that doesn't flow:
  • this is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screenthis is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screenthis is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screenthis is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screen
  • this is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screenthis is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screenthis is for longer poi
  • this is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screenthis is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screenthis is for longer poithis is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screenthis is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screenthis is for longer poithis is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screenthis is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screenthis is for longer poi
I have a choice of no space or two full rows of a space. In the old system, which used the [li] [/li] list tag format, I could just sneak a carriage return into each item when I was writing the 2nd style above. Is that still an option?

- A

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Craig.
I asked about the ability to minimise a block for example the video section, you very kindly reacted almost immediately and added the function, however it doesn’t seem to be a perpetual setting like in the old version, it sticks for a while and then after an unknown period of time a page refresh has the block expand again, clicking the minimise will reduce it again.
This is on Safari on an iPad.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
When you upload images, there's a checkbox at the bottom to make them full size.
Glad to know about this!
If it's possible, I'd like to see full size as the default setting. Especially since this is a photography site, I'm not a fan of having to open the small thumbnail images when I'm reading through a thread and want to get a decent look at a photo someone has uploaded.
Anyone else feel the same about that?

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
One is New Posts. That's already there (in the forum submenu, actually it's there twice). The other isn't currently in the forum submenu. When you click New Posts, that applies a filter named Unread (shows up above the posts), and to the right side of the screen there's a Filters drop-down menu. Clicking that brings up checkboxes, one of which is Threads with your posts. For a New Replies function, both filters are needed – Unread and Threads with your posts. Applying just the latter will show non-updated posts too, not the desired behavior.

Thanks, Craig!

Personally I'd also really like to see a permanent link to the "latest posts" list (what you see when you go to the "What's new" tab of the "What's new" option on the Forums menu). That is probably the list of posts I look at most frequently, and at the moment you repeatedly have to expand the Forums menu and then select "What's new" to get the list of latest posts, because the Forums menu collapses whenever the page refreshes (eg when you go to a thread).

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
One is New Posts. That's already there (in the forum submenu, actually it's there twice). The other isn't currently in the forum submenu. When you click New Posts, that applies a filter named Unread (shows up above the posts), and to the right side of the screen there's a Filters drop-down menu. Clicking that brings up checkboxes, one of which is Threads with your posts. For a New Replies function, both filters are needed – Unread and Threads with your posts. Applying just the latter will show non-updated posts too, not the desired behavior.

Thanks, Craig!
He understands what I was trying to say, so I'll let him continue to define what we'd like.

I've saved the new posts page as a link on my desktop, so when I click it, it opens to new posts.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
  • I have submitted your issue with the "login".
  • I'll fix the contact form this weekend.
Thanks for the quick resonse.

There may be an add-on that we'll install that may help you in this regard, I need to research it a bit more.

However, we won't be doing any sort of re-writes to the forum software itself, as that can cause lots of problems down the road with updates.
Of course, if it's not possible with this new SW it's not possible.
If there's an add-on, then that's great.
This would surely not be the top priority to me, but really nice to have.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
One more really small nag point: I can't put a blank space in between bulleted lists (so far that I can find)

Single space only is A-OK when I am doing this:
  • this
  • is
  • for
  • quick-hit
  • lists
  • of
  • things
But this is a meaty mess of words that doesn't flow:
  • this is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screenthis is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screenthis is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screenthis is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screen
  • this is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screenthis is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screenthis is for longer poi
  • this is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screenthis is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screenthis is for longer poithis is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screenthis is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screenthis is for longer poithis is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screenthis is for longer points I want to make that read like short paragraphs that may wrap the edge of the screenthis is for longer poi
I have a choice of no space or two full rows of a space. In the old system, which used the [li] [/li] list tag format, I could just sneak a carriage return into each item when I was writing the 2nd style above. Is that still an option?

- A

I'm not sure if this can be fixed.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Glad to know about this!
If it's possible, I'd like to see full size as the default setting. Especially since this is a photography site, I'm not a fan of having to open the small thumbnail images when I'm reading through a thread and want to get a decent look at a photo someone has uploaded.
Anyone else feel the same about that?

That's a big functionality change, I think users will just get used to clicking the full size box and it won't be an issue in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2013
It seems like the site sizes the photos to the width of the browser and that's a great feature.
Otherwise, I like the size proposal of Mt Spokane. 2048 is a good size for viewing and wouldn't loose too much resolution.
-r
PS., I'm enjoying the blub about the user participation frequency. The CR management must have a bit of hilarity :D :cool:!

Right now, there seems to be no limit to the size of attached images, which results in some overly large ones. I'd like to see a practical limit like 2048 X 2048?

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
So when I make a JPEG to post here, I should make the long dimension to be 2048 pixels so it doesn’t get blown up in people’s browsers? My own pictures come off badly in my browser because I have a 5K monitor? That was happening with the old board software, so nothing new. Is there some optimum size? Often I am posting a 100% crop to illustrate something, and then it shows up as 120%+ on the board. Would posting as a thumbnail help people see it 100%?

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
That's a big functionality change, I think users will just get used to clicking the full size box and it won't be an issue in the future.
Fair enough. I thought that one might have been an easy change, but there you go. As you say, I'm sure we can get used to clicking the "full size" option when we upload photos.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I really do like the new site - well done Craig! It's much better for navigating around. One thing I do miss, however, is just having a quick link in the profiles to "Attachments". I think Neuro posted a workaround but it wasn't immediately obvious.

Ok This will go lower on the list, but we'll talk about it.

Upvote 0