Suggestions / Issues with the New CR Site

Apr 25, 2011
Ok, that's weird. Especially the account that shows up (that's another story). This will be investigated.
It happens when you return to the site after half a day of inactivity (or so). If you click on the "Profile" in the lefthand menu, you will get into the profile page for that person, but you will get back your own profile name in the top bar of the page.

There seems to be no obvious security hole associated with it, but I haven't investigated further.

Upvote 0
I guess the login problem on the main site has still not been fixed? At least on my iMAC (Yosemite) it's still there.

As to the main layout of the rumours page, I don' t know, if it's just me. But I don't like it at all. I have a 2017 13' MacBook Pro, and the images are so silly large that one post can't be read in its entirety without scrolling, even if the associated text is just a few lines. People don't just read stuff on tablets, they also have computers, and to keep scrolling the screen in order to read just one rumor post seems silly. Same actually also on my iMAC.
Or am I missing something?

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I guess the login problem on the main site has still not been fixed? At least on my iMAC (Yosemite) it's still there.

As to the main layout of the rumours page, I don' t know, if it's just me. But I don't like it at all. I have a 2017 13' MacBook Pro, and the images are so silly large that one post can't be read in its entirety without scrolling, even if the associated text is just a few lines. People don't just read stuff on tablets, they also have computers, and to keep scrolling the screen in order to read just one rumor post seems silly. Same actually also on my iMAC.
Or am I missing something?

That'll be fixed this week.

Upvote 0
As to the main layout of the rumours page... the images are so silly large that one post can't be read in its entirety without scrolling, even if the associated text is just a few lines. People don't just read stuff on tablets, they also have computers, and to keep scrolling the screen in order to read just one rumor post seems silly...

I am with you as well on this one! The homepage is a bit difficult to understand. Perhaps a bit more optimization on sizes would be in order? :)

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have an issue with caching the site properly, which has likely lead to some of the login issues.

For the moment, caching is turned off, and you may notice a slowdown on the site, as everything has to be dynamically loaded.

I want all these fixes done before I head away on Thursday for 10 days.

Thank-you for your patience.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Most of the initial bugs have been worked out. The login issue should be resolved now, and will be further improved over the coming days.

As for dedicated buttons like on the previous forum for threads you're interested in... that is coming, but it's not an easy implementation. I head away on Thursday for a 10 day break and nothing will happen before then.

Keep the suggestions coming, as I do consider most of what is mentioned.

There are more functionality plans that are going to be rolled out later this month.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jcfalconer

Falconer
Sep 13, 2014
In my recent post, why does my attached photo thumbnail (in the forum comments thread for Dustin Abbot's review of the 70-200 F/4 L ii) look different to me from the attached thumbnail images from other users (eg. the name, size, and number of views is not displayed along with the thumbnail). Is it because it is automatically formatted differently for me as the owner, or is it because I used a different method of insertion? Is there an option I missed somewhere?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
In my recent post, why does my attached photo thumbnail (in the forum comments thread for Dustin Abbot's review of the 70-200 F/4 L ii) look different to me from the attached thumbnail images from other users (eg. the name, size, and number of views is not displayed along with the thumbnail). Is it because it is automatically formatted differently for me as the owner, or is it because I used a different method of insertion? Is there an option I missed somewhere?

Looks like we have a few options now: drop them inline with your text (like the way those who used IMG tags used to back with the old forum) or leave them as attachments with the Attach Files button.

Inline is great (use the picture icon in the toolbar or do what I do -- drag the images you want directly into the window where you want it), but use caution if it's a huge picture as it may not scale the way you want as this stuff isn't exactly MS Word for inline image scaling/positioning. So my rule is shrink stuff down to something useable in a window (say 800 px wide, tops) for inline or snag other already appropriately sized web images for inline, and save full res, 100% crops, samples of work for attachments (unless you are in a 'share your work' sort of thread, in which case I guess you can go nuts).

- A

Upvote 0