Sunrise in the morning in the first hour

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
12,714
1,188
Canada
Woodwideweb said:
Nice picture. Sometimes the early start is worth it.
Here's one from last month, Dorset, UK. Not 100% sure on the processing yet so any comments welcome.
Beautiful picture. I really like this shot. Well done.
 

Woodwideweb

I'm New Here
Jan 7, 2017
21
0
Wow! What an intense colour. Do you often get colour like that in the mornings? That would make an early start, hike and wait worthwhile.

Alain, how many exposures did you use to retain the colour for your sunrise?
 

kodakrome

EOS RP
Oct 25, 2015
234
103
Click said:
Beautiful pictures, kodakrome. 8) I especially like the first one.
Thanks, Click. I kind of like the first one, too. Just took that a couple of days ago.
 

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
12,714
1,188
Canada
d4mike said:
Welcoming the new day from an unusual viewpoint at Dead Horse Point after shooting the Milkyway, blue hour and then the sunrise.
Cool picture. :) Well done, Mike.
 
Aug 22, 2010
1,628
327
49
Uk
www.GMCPhotographics.co.uk
Woodwideweb said:
Nice picture. Sometimes the early start is worth it.
Here's one from last month, Dorset, UK. Not 100% sure on the processing yet so any comments welcome.
I like it a lot. I like the resolved line to the bottom right corner. I like the placement of the sun (in this case, out of frame) and tree stump clump. I also like the fact that the trees in the area of interest don't break through the horizon. I like the mood and atmosphere too, although revisiting on a slightly more misty morning would lift is up a gear. In terms of processing, I would render the sky a wee bit brighter and adjust the WB for best creative effect. In this case an overcast WB or just reduce the magenta slider and boos the orange / yellow slider a tad. With this sort of shot, a high contrast tends to look best but naturally, be careful not too loose highlight or shadow detail, it's not a silhouette.
 

Woodwideweb

I'm New Here
Jan 7, 2017
21
0
Hi GMC
Thanks for the kind words and useful advice. I implemented the changes you suggested and agree, it does look better with a bit more contrast and stringer yellows. Hopefully I didn't go too far.
I had hoped for a bit more mist on the day, but think it turned out OK.
v2 attached.
Thanks once again
Chris
 

Attachments

Woodwideweb

I'm New Here
Jan 7, 2017
21
0
kodakrome said:
Well, I'm always up early in the morning. But then I have to decide how big I want the sun to be. These three are at 100mm, 200mm, and 400mm with a 6D.
Beautiful photos. I imagine it's easier getting up early if this sort of view is waiting :)
I assume you're not based in the UK ;)
 

serendipidy

EOR R
May 7, 2012
1,911
1
Woodwideweb said:
Hi GMC
Thanks for the kind words and useful advice. I implemented the changes you suggested and agree, it does look better with a bit more contrast and stringer yellows. Hopefully I didn't go too far.
I had hoped for a bit more mist on the day, but think it turned out OK.
v2 attached.
Thanks once again
Chris
Hi Chris,

I really like what you have done with this photo. It's gorgeous!

Also, I just realized that your earlier post about intense color was maybe about my photo. It is not common to have that intensity of color, but it sometimes does occur. I think that was a rare combination of diffuse low mist (volcanic fog from Kilauea volcano they call Vog) and sun angle. I rarely get up that early, so when I saw it, I had to run and get my camera. I also cropped and changed the exposure and saturation a bit to make it look more like what I actually saw.

Cheers,
Eric
 

kodakrome

EOS RP
Oct 25, 2015
234
103
Woodwideweb said:
kodakrome said:
Well, I'm always up early in the morning. But then I have to decide how big I want the sun to be. These three are at 100mm, 200mm, and 400mm with a 6D.
Beautiful photos. I imagine it's easier getting up early if this sort of view is waiting :)
I assume you're not based in the UK ;)
Thanks for the comments, Woodwideweb. No, I'm not in the UK. I live on the South Carolina shore. I have family living in Ireland, and they don't even know what the sun looks like. :)