Sunrise

Jan 29, 2011
Sporgon said:
Sunrise behind Binham Priory in Norfolk, England.

5DII + 28mm f/2.8 IS. 1/100th, ISO 100, f/8

Yes, we'll thank you to not lie about equipment here on this equipment (argument) based forum Sporgon. It is clearly not an image from a 5D MkII, that would be an impossibility as there is more than 5 stops of DR in it, and whilst I am sure you bracketed, I might point out that that isn't always an option! So cut it out, admit you are using an Exmor and are actually a DxO/DPReview mole sent here to play with us.

:)

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
privatebydesign said:
Sporgon said:

Yes, we'll thank you to not lie about equipment here on this equipment (argument) based forum Sporgon. It is clearly not an image from a 5D MkII, that would be an impossibility as there is more than 5 stops of DR in it, and whilst I am sure you bracketed, I might point out that that isn't always an option! So cut it out, admit you are using an Exmor and are actually a DxO/DPReview mole sent here to play with us.

:)

;D

I can't be a mole from DPR because if I was I would have made the shot half an hour before sunrise, because everyone knows that all cameras can cope once the sun is over the horizon ! ;)

P.S ; I love Exmoor !

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
J.R. said:
Sporgon said:

hmmmm ... So I see that not underexposing 5 stops and trying to recover the shadows in post from a single image can result in a good image ;D

BTW, another lovely image. Nice work!

You got me there ! I'm still a hopeless novice at under exposing ;)

Actually I tried lifting my darkest exposure from the bracket, about 3.5 stops under just clipping, and it just wasn't anything like crap enough to show here as an example of underexposing skills ;)

Upvote 0
Ultimately, I'd have to say I probably prefer sunrise to sunset. It's usually cooler, air is calmer and the light is a bit softer, plus it's nowhere near as crowded in most places. It seems to be a bit easier to find dramatic color at sunset, but on the whole I prefer the am hours. That 16-35/4 gives nice starburst, too :)

Attachments

• amber waves.jpg
    amber waves.jpg
    561.2 KB · Views: 222
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi JClark.
Lovely light, nice composition. I'd like to know the shot settings please, particularly what aperture you were using, also I'd assume a tripod was used, but we all know about assume!

Cheers, Graham.

JClark said:
Ultimately, I'd have to say I probably prefer sunrise to sunset. It's usually cooler, air is calmer and the light is a bit softer, plus it's nowhere near as crowded in most places. It seems to be a bit easier to find dramatic color at sunset, but on the whole I prefer the am hours. That 16-35/4 gives nice starburst, too :)

Upvote 0
Thanks Graham!

This was handheld (and I have four of five blurry ones in the sequence to prove it ;) ) I was in RMNP and saw the composition right as the sun was coming up. Would definitely have used a tripod but there literally wasn't time to set it up and I didn't want to miss the shot. I clicked off a whole sequence because I knew it was going to be hard to get one steady but I really wanted the small aperture for the starburst.

It's the 16-35/4 at 16mm, 1/60th, f16. (On an A7R, FWIW)

Valvebounce said:
Hi JClark.
Lovely light, nice composition. I'd like to know the shot settings please, particularly what aperture you were using, also I'd assume a tripod was used, but we all know about assume!

Cheers, Graham.

JClark said:

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi JClark.
Thank you for the settings info, seems I was right about assume! ;D I thought it would be a much smaller aperture to get such a crisp starburst.

Cheers, Graham.

JClark said:
Thanks Graham!

This was handheld (and I have four of five blurry ones in the sequence to prove it ;) ) I was in RMNP and saw the composition right as the sun was coming up. Would definitely have used a tripod but there literally wasn't time to set it up and I didn't want to miss the shot. I clicked off a whole sequence because I knew it was going to be hard to get one steady but I really wanted the small aperture for the starburst.

It's the 16-35/4 at 16mm, 1/60th, f16. (On an A7R, FWIW)

Valvebounce said:
Hi JClark.

Cheers, Graham.

JClark said:

Upvote 0
LA4.jpg

a golden morning.

Upvote 0