Switched to Sony...

Well I took the bait and I am hooked on mirrorless. I got a Sony Alpha 7r III which I hated at first and was going to return in favor of my 1DX Mark II. Then I realized I liked both cameras and decided to keep both. After a few weeks of not even touching the Canon, not only I am keeping the Sony, but I am selling my 1DX II.

The quality is just too impressive compared to the 1DX II. Not only the MP but the Dynamic Range is just astonishing. The focus is flawless. It never misses.. The EVF takes time to get used to and it needs some tweaking and the ergonomics are horrible but after using it for a month and being able to customize ALL buttons and dials to my preference, even the G button on the Lens itself for "playback", I am sold. I love the swivel screen, I wish it swiveled 90 degrees downwards as well but it is a lot more sturdy than the flimsy one on a 6D Mark II, for example.

One very important thing that makes a lot of sense, specially for long exposures, is the lack of mirror slap and shutter action that prevents the camera shake. I never seen steadier and sharper photos in muy life. In fact, I Never seen this quality before, ever... In 17 years using Canon, I switched to Sony because technology moves a lot faster than Canon seems to think.

I hope to see something amazing from Canon Mirrorless after Photokina.
I hope they don't stick with EF mount. It's time for something new. People cling to the old stuff they own, because it's already paid for and it would mean buying new but, isn't that what new is supposed to be? All new? Why have a 2018 Mirrorless camera with a 2010 lens? Dumb in my opinion. I agree with Nikon's new Z cameras and the new Mount. If u are gonna get the very best, u need to have the best combo.
I am extremely happy with my A7R III. It has changed a lot of things for me and it has improved the way I shoot. I was too comfortable with the 1DX II but also limited by it. The Sony opened up a completely new world for me. Just knowing -exactly- what you are shooting through the EVF is a game changer, and then the Dynamic Range. It is almost as close to the human eye as -I- have seen.
I am not gonna stop loving Canon. It is in my heart forever but times change and the world doesn't slow down.

DOn't be afraid of mirrorless or of a complete change in system. Sometimes, change is exactly what you need to wake up your numb senses.
Cheers
Patrick

Reactions: 1 users
Jan 29, 2011
And what is different from your last rant?

https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...urned-a-sony-alpha-7r-iii-after-a-week.35534/

For some the Sony will work, for others, not so much.

Your opinions don't match with some others but for you the Sony works, well done, so what?

The DR difference between the Sony and the 1DX MkII is not, generally, consequential, especially when you take real life iso usage into account.

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 1D X Mark II,Sony ILCE-7RM3

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
And what is different from your last rant?

https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...urned-a-sony-alpha-7r-iii-after-a-week.35534/

For some the Sony will work, for others, not so much.

Your opinions don't match with some others but for you the Sony works, well done, so what?

The DR difference between the Sony and the 1DX MkII is not, generally, consequential, especially when you take real life iso usage into account.

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 1D X Mark II,Sony ILCE-7RM3
U know what? I am tired of people reading numbers and charts to compare stuff. It's all about real world samples. I know what the Canon can do and if I was blown away by the Sony right after taking a few photos is because the difference IS noticeable. I am a real Pro. 17 years doing this s**t so I have plenty of expertise to know the freaking difference. Besides its what works for ME... Me. Me. Not you or anyone else. I don't really care what others say but Sony taking the crown on the best camera in the world and outselling everybody else should give you an idea that thousands of people disagree with you.
An it's not a rant. Like before, it is a simple evaluation of the facts. Coming from someone that shoots for a living and actually has the 2 cameras side by side to compare. Unlike you or anyone else that wants to challenge my assessment.
GO pick up a Sony and u will see the difference right on the LCD screen. Not even processing the RAW.
And no, I don't take advice or valid opinions for a Cartoon stuffed toy, thank you!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
U know what? I am tired of people reading numbers and charts to compare stuff. It's all about real world samples. I know what the Canon can do and if I was blown away by the Sony right after taking a few photos is because the difference IS noticeable. I am a real Pro. 17 years doing this s**t so I have plenty of expertise to know the freaking difference. Besides its what works for ME... Me. Me. Not you or anyone else. I don't really care what others say but Sony taking the crown on the best camera in the world and outselling everybody else should give you an idea that thousands of people disagree with you.
An it's not a rant. Like before, it is a simple evaluation of the facts. Coming from someone that shoots for a living and actually has the 2 cameras side by side to compare. Unlike you or anyone else that wants to challenge my assessment.
GO pick up a Sony and u will see the difference right on the LCD screen. Not even processing the RAW.
And no, I don't take advice or valid opinions for a Cartoon stuffed toy, thank you!
So post some RAW files that actually back up what you are saying.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I am a real Pro.
Is having a "sexy" camera a big selling point in your business?

If so, having A7R III is understandable, but you shouldn't hurry to sell your 1DX Mark II.

How? It's an EVF. It only tells you what camera thinks you want to get, not what you really want to get from what you are shooting.

However, if A7R IV comes with built-in Lightroom...

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
An it's not a rant. Like before, it is a simple evaluation of the facts. Coming from someone that shoots for a living and actually has the 2 cameras side by side to compare.

Ultimately, it comes down to how you work, what you are doing, and what you like. If this is what works for you, then that’s what works for you.... if there was only one “right” answer, then there would only be one camera on the market.

Personally, when looking at the whole package, I like Canon best for my needs, but there are a lot of features from Sony and Olympus that I wish my Canons had.... but those are my needs and wants, not yours.

Enjoy your new camera. Perhaps we shall see you back when Canon releases their mirrorless model(s)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
So post some RAW files that actually back up what you are saying.
why do I need to prove anything. If I switched, it means the difference is big. I am not going to throw away 17 years of Canon use over a little difference. It is what works for ME. I squeezed everything out the Canon to get results, the Sony gives you those results effortlessly. People talk about skin tones being better on the Canon, for example, because they probably don't know how to use Lightroom or Photoshop to fix them.
Having a great photo today is based on how good you are tweaking a photo and knowing how much a raw file can be pushed. The camera that gives you that freedom is going to be the one to use. I found the Sony to be that camera. For now, of course.

Upvote 0
Ultimately, it comes down to how you work, what you are doing, and what you like. If this is what works for you, then that’s what works for you.... if there was only one “right” answer, then there would only be one camera on the market.

Personally, when looking at the whole package, I like Canon best for my needs, but there are a lot of features from Sony and Olympus that I wish my Canons had.... but those are my needs and wants, not yours.

Enjoy your new camera. Perhaps we shall see you back when Canon releases their mirrorless model(s)
Thanx Don. Technology moves really fast now, things might change in the near future. For now, this is my choice.
Like u said, there is not ONE perfect camera but this is the closest in my opinion in August 2018...

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Thanx Don. Technology moves really fast now, things might change in the near future. For now, this is my choice.
Like u said, there is not ONE perfect camera but this is the closest in my opinion in August 2018...
Some of us are fanatics who think that our choice is the only one, yet I can’t even come up with a single choice for me.....

kayaking..... Olympus TG-5 is the best...
General use and night time..... 6D2 is my best choice....
Birding..... The 7D2 is tops.....
Hiking.... Panasonic......

For me, I like the Sony specs, but it is superbly awkward in my hands.... yet for some weird reason, the Panasonic feels great! ? ! ? I am sure that someone with different size hands will come to a different conclusion

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some of us are fanatics who think that our choice is the only one, yet I can’t even come up with a single choice for me.....

kayaking..... Olympus TG-4 is the best...

For me, I like the Sony specs, but it is superbly awkward in my hands.... yet for some weird reason, the Panasonic feels great! ? ! ? I am sure that someone with different size hands will come to a different conclusion
The ergonomics are horrible on the Sony

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
The ergonomics are horrible on the Sony
Ha!

If you want terrible ergonomics, try a GoPro.... Absolutely horrendous! But on the other hand, you can attach it to a truck battery, a couple solar panels, and let it rip outside for a month doing a time lapse for the client.... The right tool for the job :)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

kayaking..... Olympus TG-4 is the best...

Kayaking TG-5 is the best...
General use, 5DIV
Birding 5DSR
Hiking Sony RX10 IV
My choices.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
why do I need to prove anything. If I switched, it means the difference is big. I am not going to throw away 17 years of Canon use over a little difference. It is what works for ME. I squeezed everything out the Canon to get results, the Sony gives you those results effortlessly. People talk about skin tones being better on the Canon, for example, because they probably don't know how to use Lightroom or Photoshop to fix them.
Having a great photo today is based on how good you are tweaking a photo and knowing how much a raw file can be pushed. The camera that gives you that freedom is going to be the one to use. I found the Sony to be that camera. For now, of course.

I didn't say you have to prove anything, I said your points would have a lot more weight and relevance to them (they wouldn't sound like a rant) if you posted some illustrative images that demonstrate the 'obvious' differences you see. Talk is cheap, images are difficult to deny.

I have seen differences in well exposed low iso images, indeed I moved from 1DS MkIII's to 1DX MkII's after comparing shadow detail at 100 iso when shot in the same place and time. The Sony has a small advantage when shot at 100 iso but it certainly isn't big enough enough of the time to make me switch, I can understand it being more important for other users. Certainly the real estate I have done wouldn't benefit from a single stop of base DR difference, all interior shots where I want to also illustrate the exterior nearly always require multiple exposures and simple blending techniques to get the quality results my customers expect, a simple single exposure and compress virtually never cuts it even with a D850.

Your comments on AF are interesting, most reviewers still feel phase detect gives faster and more accurate results, contrast detect hasn't quite got to the same level yet, even in the A9 (which Sony put phase detect into to try to get the AF performance). Of course it depends on what you shoot, anything can do real estate and architecture and models in good light with deep dof, and how good you are at customizing the three functions within the Canon AF system. Looking at your sites I don't see anything that would push even basic levels of manual focus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I’m going to disagree with that one. The work one does before pressing the shutter release is often far more impactful than the work one does afterwards.
Agreed but knowing what a camera can do in terms of exposure and what kind of recovery it will get you is important. Nothing can recover over exposed images. Underexposed photos have a higher success in recovery even if noise will surface. It can be cleaned later. The Sony has such an amazingly DR that it almost doesn't need bracketing. I have never used bracketing in my life. I never needed it, but understand the purpose. Someday cameras won't even have that option because they will "see" what the human eye can. I look forward to that moment.
I said it many times on these forums and other places: some company needs to start R&D on a camera with 3 layered sensors. One for shadows, one for mid tones and one for highlights. That will be the day th game will change. It's not impossible.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

kayaking..... Olympus TG-5 is the best...

I meant to say TG-5 :)

Interesting.... three people and 9 different "best" cameras..... :)

It all goes to prove that we have an embarras de richesse - aren't we so lucky with so many choices, and it leads to much discussion!

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
But in the end. It doesn't matter. It's all about the final photo. Nobody knows what camera brand was used when they look at a great shot. Nobody cares. A better camera doesn't make u a better photographer either.

That's where I disagree.
I am an enthusiast amateur whose purchases on gear way exceeds my abilities - but at the end of the day if I don't like using the gear I will not use it, so why buy it! I can understand a pro will make a judgement on cost-benefit and may put up with poor ergonomics if they think it will increase their hit rate and get them more jobs. But for me life is too short to put up with little irritating things that result in me missing shots - and having shot with Panasonic/Olympus for the last 5 years as a second system, I am aware of the little niggles of mirrorless. I am equally aware that many are saying the Sony mkiii cameras have overcome many of those issues but there are still enough remaining for me to be cautious about even trying them.

I think a vast proportion of high end gear is amateurs with the money to buy the gear and I am probably far from alone in how I think about ergonomics.

Upvote 0
That's where I disagree.
I am an enthusiast amateur whose purchases on gear way exceeds my abilities - but at the end of the day if I don't like using the gear I will not use it, so why buy it! I can understand a pro will make a judgement on cost-benefit and may put up with poor ergonomics if they think it will increase their hit rate and get them more jobs. But for me life is too short to put up with little irritating things that result in me missing shots - and having shot with Panasonic/Olympus for the last 5 years as a second system, I am aware of the little niggles of mirrorless. I am equally aware that many are saying the Sony mkiii cameras have overcome many of those issues but there are still enough remaining for me to be cautious about even trying them.

I think a vast proportion of high end gear is amateurs with the money to buy the gear and I am probably far from alone in how I think about ergonomics.
Trust me, at first, bad ergonomics might slow you down but it doesn't mean you will have a percentage of bad photos because of it.
The only thing that gets you bad photos is lack of experience. Try this: Gather a few of your friends with Smart phones and ask them to shoot, for example, a car. Some of them will shoot the photo vertically, chopping off some of the car and leaving way too much space on the top or bottom of the image.
Others will shoot it landscape and get the wrong angle or perspective, some others will frame it nicely.
The camera or the ergonomics don't count for a good photo. Only the eye and talent of the photographer.
Now everybody is an amateur photographer. A 3 year old kid can take a good photo... Even that infamous Monkey who took its own Selfie.
Practice to become a better photographer, not an operator.

Cheers

P

Upvote 0