SX200 IS vs SX 240 HS image quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AT-1

What I actually want is a Canon compact superzoom of similar size to my SX200 IS; with the same level of controllability; RAW out of the box (no CHDK hack needed); and the APS-C sensor out of my 7D. I'm prepared to pay very good money for such pocketable convenience and image quality - but realise that I am probably in for a very long wait! ;)

Coming down to earth with a bump, I find myself needing to replace the SX200; it travels everywhere I fly on business where 6Kg of 7D and paraphenalia is a showstopper, but the front optic has picked up a scratch that is visible as a soft-focus area in the middle of nearly every photograph. Repair cost exceeds the purchase price of an SX240 HS.

I realise that there is always a new model just around the corner, but is there likely a quantum image quality improvement for compact superzooms "just around the corner"? Perhaps not my 7D's APS-C sensor, but none the less a substantial step in that direction? A new technology rather than a tweak to today's CMOS?

I ask because I borrowed an SX240 HS to help me decide whether to buy one, and found that whilst it takes images of demonstrably higher quality than my SX200 IS, they are still very obviously "compact" images with a gaping chasm to what I get from old 400D, never mind my 7D. The biggest of all the weaknesses is easily blown highlights.

Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.