SX60 HS

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The first reviews are trickling out, e.g, http://cameras.reviewed.com/content/canon-powershot-sx60-hs-digital-camera-review

It handles better than the SX50, it is reported. The local shop had one in today, which gave me the chance of a few shots side-by-side with the SX50. The evf is a real improvement and seemed more responsive, but I was more interested in the IQ at 1365 on the SX60 vs 1200mm.

I used iso 320 and RAW. Unfortunately, DxO doesn't have a raw converter for the SX60 yet but the latest DPP for Powershot works. The SX60 was very noisy, much noisier than the SX50, and the SX50 gave better results.

SX60 HS Image sharpness

Having just been bought an SX60 for Christmas, i've been out trying it out in all conditions and so far I'm not overly happy with its performance.
The image quality appears to match my old phone camera, which was terrible. This may of course be down to me not yet being familiar with getting the best from the camera and its settings, but I'm not overly convinced.
Can anyone enlighten me as to the optimum settings for image quality please, if there are any?

I normally use one of those "other" cameras that starts with N and ends with N and I have no complaints at all. My girlfriend bought me the SX6o as we couldn't afford a longer lens for the DSLR, maybe we should have just waited?
Any help or advice would be gratefully received
Many thanks
Scoz

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Re: SX60 HS Image sharpness

The SX60 is capable of extremely sharp shots but there seem to be a lot of bad copies and a lot with intermittently jumpy IS. Some IS systems have apparently cleared up with time. Try it with the IS off on a steady rest or tripod to see if this is the problem you're having.

The SX50 had no such trouble.

Upvote 0
User error

This thread is useless without pictures.

Post some at full size (links are probably best) and we'll have a look at the settings & images then give you some informed comment.

I'd leave it there but you go on to say:

scozmos said:
This may of course be down to me not yet being familiar with getting the best from the camera and its settings, but I'm not overly convinced.
Can anyone enlighten me as to the optimum settings for image quality please, if there are any?

... which makes me think it's user error (hurray, this can be fixed!). Best image quality for any camera is something like aperture down a stop or two from max and base ISO... assuming you needn't worry about shutter speed (camera on tripod with remote release/timer so no camera shake and subject totally still so no motion blur).

Of course it might be something simple like viewing pictures zoomed into at 100% and comparing them to photos at a much lower resolution, also at 100%... we just won't know until you post some pictures :)

Upvote 0

Lee Jay said:
The SX60 is capable of extremely sharp shots but there seem to be a lot of bad copies and a lot with intermittently jumpy IS. Some IS systems have apparently cleared up with time. Try it with the IS off on a steady rest or tripod to see if this is the problem you're having.

What is the IS please Lee Jay? Sorry, sussed it, cheers

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

scozmos said:
Lee Jay said:

What is the IS please Lee Jay? Sorry, sussed it, cheers

IS - Image Stabilization

Upvote 0