T3i with 100-400 + 1.4TC, will AF work?

Mar 25, 2011
When you add the 1.4X TC, the lens will not focus on a T3i because it is now a f/8 lens at longer focal lengths. Even at 100mm it will be a issue.

However, it is possible to tape the contacts which feed back the aperture information to the camera, and it will autofocus, but may be slow or hunt a bit. In bright light, it works better than poor light.

http://www.michaelfurtman.com/taping_the_pins.htm

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks, I suppose what I am asking is what, exactly, happens with the AF and a variable aperture zoom when used with the TC when the starting aperture is good for the AF but the longer length isn't?

Does the AF work as normal at 100mm up to wherever the new aperture hits over f5.6, or does it never work, do you get a warning of some kind etc etc.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
privatebydesign said:
Thanks, I suppose what I am asking is what, exactly, happens with the AF and a variable aperture zoom when used with the TC when the starting aperture is good for the AF but the longer length isn't?

Does the AF work as normal at 100mm up to wherever the new aperture hits over f5.6, or does it never work, do you get a warning of some kind etc etc.

Phase AF is disabled by the firmware when the lens + TC is mounted. Live View AF will work.

Upvote 0