Tamron 15-30 - not working in live view/video with 1dx2

Sep 29, 2012
1dx2 - no t working in live view/video with Tamron 15-30

I sent mine in...they are looking into it...
I expect it back about june 1st...

the lens works fine on my 5d3....

and does fine on 1dx2 in SLR mode...but live view drops out if you try the tamron 15-30 on the 1dx2....

has anyone else seen this behavior...

the tech there..... said there are some notes to not use perif correction ...or any lens correction on that lens...
it confuses their 'reverse engineering' [my words].....

but since I had an early 1dx2 AND had the Tamron.. this may be the first noticed behavior...
///

please make a comment if you have 1dx2 experience with it.

Thanks

TommyLee

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Re: 1dx2 - not working in live view/video with Tamron 15-30

My Tamron 150-600 doesn't work in Live view on the 1DX2 either - worked fine on my 6D. Sounds like others had the same experience. Tamron needed to do a firmware update when the 5DS/R and 80D released. Looks like they will need another update for the 1DX2.

The good news is the 150-600 seems to focus much better with the 1DX2 than my 6D and required less AFMA when I dialed it in.

I'll send it in for an update when they announce a fix.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2012

dcm ..thanks useful.....
shows some consistency
Tamron tech said they look to Japan to send fix....

neuro...
yes.. makes me smile.. because I wondered WHAT would be the issue with this fine lens...

I never had issues with Sig 35 1.4 A(5d3).... others did
but I sold it to get the 35L mk II which is a stunning optic...

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA

neuroanatomist said:
The joys of 3rd party lenses...

No complaints or regrets. Phase detect AF works great, only LV is affected so its less of an issue than the M3 where you only have MF since the LV doesn't work on it either. I accepted the inconvenience of future upgrades to support new bodies when I purchased the lens. Other than that it has been worth it to get an introduction to shooting with long focal lengths.

Upvote 0

I have heard, that turning off the lens correction in the menu will fix some issues with 3rd party lenses...

I can't find that current article, but know I have seen it for 1Dx mark II + sigma/tamron combos.

Here is an older article about a similar problem with the 1Dx mark I

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/08/canon-illumination-correction-and-third-party-lenses/

Ah.. here we go...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/canon-1dx2-sigma-35mmart/#:Y9R_heuIhtz0jA

Upvote 0

My Tamron 70-300VC has very inconsistent AF on my 7D2. Even after I sent it back to Tamron. I hated having to spend 1300.00US on the EF 70-300L but in the end I'm glad that I did.
I would say that 70% all of the AF problems I had after buying the 7D2 were because of the Tamron. The rest were because I had to get used to the new AF system which is light years ahead of my 40D.

I'm sticking with Canon lenses from now on.

Tommy Lee, I hope you get the problems worked out. Tamron will probably say that they will do a firmware update so it will work on your camera.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2012

ksgal said:
I have heard, that turning off the lens correction in the menu will fix some issues with 3rd party lenses...

I can't find that current article, but know I have seen it for 1Dx mark II + sigma/tamron combos.

Here is an older article about a similar problem with the 1Dx mark I

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/08/canon-illumination-correction-and-third-party-lenses/

Ah.. here we go...

how nice.... THE ...definitive....useful links...
thanks.. for these two write-ups....

people on this forum have a lot of good info to share...
sometime I do also...
a great place to get quick answers...

the two stories.. matche what the Tammron tech said..
and they SAY they put in a 'fix' ... and it will be back by tuesday...
...mine was way early copy.. so needed to have some machine code crammed in the lens-chip..
like for 5Ds etc...

anyway
I like the lens...for sharpness and I.S. ...
I never tried turning off ..or even checking.. the perif correction..
usually I dont use these.. but now on my 1dx2 the jpgs are so good.. that I record RAW and jpg ... and if I have a serious shot ...convert to dng and use lightroom..

thanks all of you for ideas and help.. I always learn ...here...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/canon-1dx2-sigma-35mmart/#:Y9R_heuIhtz0jA

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2012
well my tamron 15-30 is due back friday?....june 3

meanwhile I walked to the photo store with 1dx2 and 35L ii.....
then tested the 20 f1.4 sigma...and a lens I used to own ...sig 35 1.4

spot meter and multi segment tried...on both bodies...

I shot on store's 5d3 and my 1dx2...gives impression that 'some cards were shuffled' ..on this body...
the canon 35L ii .. of course sets a standard for most lenses I have used.. and looks the same on both bodies...

the sigma 20 f1.4 looked to be 1.5 to 2 stops darker on 1dx2...versus about normal on 5d3...
I am taking into account the big vignetting on 20 1.4 sig and a little less on sig 35 1.4

on 5d3 ...all seemed to be 'normal' with vignetting as reported in various forums..and tests..

by the way: ALL lens corrections are OFF in 1dx2.... no corrections or noise reductions at all...
that I could find...or are aware of..
all 3 lenses.... canon and 2 sigmas worked in live view / video on 5d3 and 1dx2

sigma 35 1.4 about 1 to 1.5 stops darker on 1dx2 .. but just fine on 5d3

so I guess my question is.....
has anyone used various 3rd party lenses

and seen these effects..
NO
Maybe the sigma lenses ...if sent back to factory.. could get some machine-code hand-waving and re-OutSmart the NEW canon body

any thoughts on all this is welcome..
and
yes yes...3rd party lenses ...blah blah.... we all know this..
reverse engineering... naming the 3rd party lens after some lens that makes the pairing work....
...I wonder if canon sets up things here to disrupt the OTHER players.....with features THAT CANON HAS NOT INVENTED ...
not subscribing to any 'belief system' here ...just asking ...about what people see

all your thoughts are valid ..to me...

thanks for input

////

I will try the tamron in a few days.,.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
my understanding is that some lenses communicate to the body that they are canon lenses. ie: a sigma 35mm may tell the camera body it's a 35mm 1.4L.

The camera will then expect that lens to work a certain way because it thinks it's a 35mm 1.4L, including metering, since it meters wide open, and then adjusts the exposure calculation based upon what your stopped down aperture will be.

with liveview each lens was I believe "configured" into liveview at least that is what it was written up when DPAF came out for the 70D.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2012
got 15-30 lens back..
all functions with 5d3 and 1dx2 (just..live view issue on 1dx2) work fine now..
I had a few clicks in microadjust.. but it seems zeroed out.. maybe part of a new set of codes...
doesnt seem to need adjustment... but I will obsess further....

also maybe they adjusted the lens slightly ...i.e. checked the far/near focus tracking..

anyway..
it is wonderful...
very sharp lens.. very useful.. a slight annoyance for the reverse engineering world it lives in...
but a very good value.. for a unique product...
AND
the tamron folks were very nice..
then they shipped fedEx overnight BACK to me...

no BS or handwaving from the repair station..
they just needed the codes from japan.. everyone being careful with their customer...
......at least that's what I felt...

I will keep this lens....
makes me curious about the 85 1.8 stabilized lens....
some say it is fantastic....

we are lucky to have such fun toys ...for work and play..

just a last report on what transpired..
thanks for input...all...

Tom Schmid

Upvote 0