Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD

D

dturano

Amityville hosts a small heritage fair every year, I was out with the family and had the new Tamron 24-70mm, I took a bunch of shots, they have a few old cars on display.

I took them in a rush because the family preferred the vendors, I did some post processing to make them pop.

Thanks for viewing, hope you enjoy them.

Attachments

• AmityvilleHeritageFair 1.jpg
    AmityvilleHeritageFair 1.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 4,960
  • AmityvilleHeritageFair 2.jpg
    AmityvilleHeritageFair 2.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 4,864
  • AmityvilleHeritageFair 3.jpg
    AmityvilleHeritageFair 3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4,853
  • AmityvilleHeritageFair 4.jpg
    AmityvilleHeritageFair 4.jpg
    817.3 KB · Views: 4,894
S

Sh1n1ng Forc3

I picked up the Tamaron 24-70 F/2.8 Di VC USD after renting it for a couple of days and was so pleased by what I saw I picked one up too. Normally I am a red ring snob but this lens is so good at what it does I have convinced some other professional buddies to pick it up too after they saw the shots it was capable of producing. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0
I thinking of getting this lens on my 7D instead of the 24-105L or the EFS 17-55.

I'm no pro and just barely starting into Photography. I just want to take some nice and awesome shots.

What do u guys think? Is this worth the price or just spend a little extra $$$ for the canon version? The Version II is just way out of budget for me. Rather spend that kind of money on the 70-200 L f2.8 IS USM II. JMHO

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
GEEo said:
What do u guys think? Is this worth the price or just spend a little extra $$$ for the canon version? The Version II is just way out of budget for me. Rather spend that kind of money on the 70-200 L f2.8 IS USM II. JMHO
Well, depends what you shoot the most. The difference between 17mm and 24mm is pretty big, so, I'd say the choice would be between the 17-55 and Tamron 24-70. Then its just a matter of whether you need the wide end (landscape, larger groups, etc) or the longer end (portraits, etc).

No point in spending more for the old Canon version when it lacks IS, and when everyone is saying the Tamron is sharper.

Upvote 0
I bought this lens as standard zoom for my 5D Mark III and found it to be very satisfactory. Let's see something different than cars.

Two portrait shots. I prefer the 100mm 2.8L for that but when space is limited this also works.

7856656060_bfaecb42ce_b.jpg

7623433502_b7d92187c4_b.jpg

7856656292_b63d05bd47_b.jpg

7856656526_60082abb4f_b.jpg

And this one is pseudo-HDR.

8053913326_da8093455b_b.jpg

Upvote 0
Here's some samples with a 5D MKII:

The Burning Bush by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr
This is at f/14

Autumn Gold by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr
Wide open shooting directly into the sun.

Tamron SP 24-70mm f.28 VC USD Close Focus Crop by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr
Crop from a close focus shot - note how that the resolution holds up well at close focus distance. This is also wide open.

Tamron Portrait Sample by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr
Wide Open Portrait Shot, fixed studio light through umbrella

Don't Get Prickly by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr
This is with a 31mm extension tube. Note the very nice transition to defocus.

In the Sanctuary - Pew Warmer by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr
Environmental lighting only, wide open.

Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing so many good pictures. I was not a big fan for Tamron because of the 18-270mm. However, I still gave Tamron 24-70mm a try few months ago. I was so impressed for the IQ and its amazing VC. It was much better than my Canon 24-70mm MK1. The only complain for me is the AF speed is not as fast as Canon 24-70mm. Overall Tamron 24-70mm is worth any penny.

Upvote 0
dstppy said:
Even though it's worth every penny, did anyone get to pay LESS than every penny for it?

I've been waiting for it to drop SOME, but even the tamron rebates haven't included this beastie.

For some very, very odd reason the price seems to be better in Canada than in the US. I have never seen that before. I got mine at Simon's Camera in Montreal for $1139 CDN before tax. Most US retailers seem stuck at the $1299 rate. I guess the good news for Tamron is that they are clearly moving units at "full" price and haven't had to resort to any kind of price drop.

Upvote 0