Tamron 70-210mm f/4 VC USD (A034) Review | Dustin

I received a review copy of the Tamron 70-210mm f/4 VC (A034) a month ago, and I released my final coverage of the lens today. Here’s my review linkage:

Video Review: http://bit.ly/A034youtube
Text Review: http://bit.ly/A034dla
Image Gallery: http://bit.ly/70210VCig

Short take: for Canon shooters the announcement of the 70-200mm f/4L IS II definitely causes some pause for those not on budget constraints. I think Nikon shooters may be more excited about this lens for that reason, as I feel that it is a very good lens, but not an exceptional one.

Another great review series! (as usual).

After using the Tamron 45 and 85mm f/1.8's for the last couple of months this 70-210mm lens looks somewhat like a step backwards in build quality and perhaps image quality too, although your photos look rather nice with it.

I was hoping you were to say more exciting things about this lens as I do want to get a 70-200mm f/4 lens to finish my kit out by the end of this year. I think I may take a closer look at the Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS zoom. (version ii).

Upvote 0
Durf said:

After using the Tamron 45 and 85mm f/1.8's for the last couple of months this 70-210mm lens looks somewhat like a step backwards in build quality and perhaps image quality too, although your photos look rather nice with it.

I was hoping you were to say more exciting things about this lens as I do want to get a 70-200mm f/4 lens to finish my kit out by the end of this year. I think I may take a closer look at the Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS zoom. (version ii).

You can take pretty photos with most lenses if you know what you're doing. I would recommend waiting to see what the 70-200 f/4L IS II has to offer, as it seems like Canon has really put their development efforts into it. I think the Tamron is a good choice if you have budget constraints, but I would be shocked if the new Canon wasn't the better lens.

Upvote 0
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Durf said:

You can take pretty photos with most lenses if you know what you're doing. I would recommend waiting to see what the 70-200 f/4L IS II has to offer, as it seems like Canon has really put their development efforts into it. I think the Tamron is a good choice if you have budget constraints, but I would be shocked if the new Canon wasn't the better lens.

I'm pretty sure the new Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS USM ii will be the better lens, but at a much higher cost.

If I do get the new Canon zoom I may end up sanding it down a bit and giving it a custom all black paint job! ;)

Upvote 0