<li>Image stabilization effect: About 4.5 steps</li>
<li>Filter diameter: 82 mm</li>
<li>Maximum diameter × length: 3.5 in × 4.4 in (about 89 mm × 112 mm)</li>
<li>Weight: 31.9 oz (approx 904 g)</li>
<li>North American Price: $ 1299</li>
</ul>
<p>This lens will be announced on Friday, June 23, 2017 at 3:00AM EST.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
<div style="font-size:0px;height:0px;line-height:0px;margin:0;padding:0;clear:both"></div>

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
BeenThere said:
eha said:
What are the key benefits over generation 1?
Don't know yet. May have to wait for the official announcement and let Tamron tells us.

This one will better performance optically at 24mm and at 70mm. It will be marginally lighter with a better build - newer fit and finish (as they say). The VC will be about the same (i.e. very effective as Tamron has stabilization down, at least in their smaller lenses: excluding the 150-600mm gen 1). Focus will be great. And for the single best improvement -

It will be compatible with the TAP-IN console! Allowing for fine-tuning autofocus with whatever camera body you have (be it Canon or Nikon (and probably Sony eventually)). Dustin Abbott has a very, very good Youtube video tutorial on how to use the TAP-IN console. This also future proofs your lens and was a stroke of brilliance when Sigma introduced the DOCK and Tamron saw the wisdom in that and created their version.

We live in fantastic times as photographers (and in general) with the technologies available to make life better.

Upvote 0
I don't know. I might be old fashioned, but we are most probably going to get Canon 24-70/2.8 II, even if it is almost twice the price and has no image stabilisation. We bought Sigma Art 35/1.4 and it needed 4mm calibration. WTF? We've got some better experience with Tamron, using 17-50/2.8 non stabilitsed version, pretty sharp and nice lens for our 70D, so we might give Tamron a chance, but I relly just don't know :)

Upvote 0

hbr

Oct 22, 2016
-pekr- said:
I don't know. I might be old fashioned, but we are most probably going to get Canon 24-70/2.8 II, even if it is almost twice the price and has no image stabilisation. We bought Sigma Art 35/1.4 and it needed 4mm calibration. WTF? We've got some better experience with Tamron, using 17-50/2.8 non stabilitsed version, pretty sharp and nice lens for our 70D, so we might give Tamron a chance, but I relly just don't know :)

Hi pekr,

I watched the sales and got my Canon 24-70/2.8 II from Canon Refurbished for about $1300 + tax. So far it is the sharpest lens I own. It is a great lens in spite of the fact that it does not have IS.

Good luck.

Brian

Upvote 0
hbr said:
-pekr- said:

Hi pekr,

I watched the sales and got my Canon 24-70/2.8 II from Canon Refurbished for about $1300 + tax. So far it is the sharpest lens I own. It is a great lens in spite of the fact that it does not have IS.

Good luck.

Brian

I haven't done the testing to determine if it's the sharpest lens I own, but it's mighty sharp. My 70-200/2.8ISii and 50A are crazy sharp as well, though, and if my 35/2IS and 100-400ii are less sharp, it's not by much.

People were probably saying this a decade and two decades ago, but it's a great time to be a photography enthusiast. It's just an embarrassment of riches in equipment.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
After a long stretch of swearing off third party lenses, I broke down and bought one of these after being frustrated by the lack of IBIS in the EOS R, and the lack of a Canon 24-70 with IS. (This was before the recent news that they are planning to make one.)

Well, I can say that I am very impressed by the IS in this lens. The claimed effectiveness is 5 stops. (Actually maybe only 4.5 stops?) I know that these specs are usually a little overstated. But, I wanted to see just how well it would work. So I tried a shot at 70mm and 0.5 seconds, hand held. 0.5 seconds is about 5 stops down from where you would normally stop shooting 70mm hand held, 1/70sec.

This is an unedited 100% crop of that photo at f3.5. Maybe not tack sharp, but still pretty damn impressive for half a second at 70mm hand held.

Attachments

• 5E4_2588.jpg
    5E4_2588.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Upvote 0