Tamron to Announce New 17-35mm f/2.8-4 Di OSD Soon

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Tamron is set to announce a new 17-35mm f/2.8-4 Di OSD lens for full frame cameras.  The variable aperture should keep the price down against competition.
Optimum image quality coupled with maximum portability
The 17-35mm F/ 2.8-4 Di OSD (Model A037) is an ultra-wide-angle lens featuring superb image quality integrated into a compact, lightweight body. The use of specialized glass materials enables comprehensive control of the axial chromatic aberrations conspicuous in ultra-wide-angle lenses. The Model A037 offers a high level of sharpness and contrast comparable to the very best of lenses. From the 35mm standard wide-angle for user-friendly snapshot photography, to the ultra-wide-angle 17mm used for professional landscape photography, this lens can meet a wide variety of your needs and yet still offer amazing portability being only 90mm (3.5 in) in length, 83.6mm in diameter, and just 460g (16.2 oz) in weight. With a Minimum Object Distance (MOD) of only 0.28m (11 in)...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
I am really excited for this lens, I still use the old one. I am on my second one, the first one got dropped in the sand and I liked it enough I brought it again. If they keep the same image quality maybe just a little better and better lenses coating. I might get it if it come in at a good price. I hope it isn't to high where I have to decide between this and a used 15-30.

Upvote 0
I'm surprised to say it but this could be a good fit for me depending on performance. I've really been struggling to reduce the weight/size of my kit for camping and hiking. I'd be curious to see how it performs for astrophotography, sharpness, and at what zoom range it starts to drop aperture. I had been of the impression that my best option was to replace my 16-35 f/4L (for general landscapes, often with filters needed) and Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 (for landscape astrophotography) with just a Canon 16-35 f/2.8 iii (expensive change, and still heavy solution to both needs), but if this lens is nearly half the weight of the 16-35 f/2.8 iii, maintains strong performance, has a filter thread, and manages coma well, then I can sacrifice some light at the long end of the magnification and be fine for my needs. Very interesting, besides being a likely cheaper lens!

Upvote 0
I think it is a mistake for them to use their new design language for lesser lenses. Sigma has some weird branding decisions, but at least they do distinguish between the Contemporary versus Art, etc. Canon, of course, has the L series. If Tamron pushes the same branding on everything, people will be less apt to revere their greatest ones.

Then again, maybe if we were all from Japan it would all make sense.

Upvote 0