Tascam DR-60D ON TOP of Camera

The Tascam DR-60D is designed to sit under the camera, which is how I use it at the moment. However I am unhappy with it like that, as I find when you have a 1DX with 70-200 f/2.8 ii sitting on it, the camera rocks a little if touched even slightly.

Of course you do not touch the camera when doing an interview anyway, but I am not comfortable with the set up as it makes me nervous.

For this reason I am going to buy a hot shoe adapter to fit into the 1DX hot shoe and attach the Tascam DR-60D to that. Has anyone tried that? I do touch the Tascam DR-60D sometimes when doing an interview but normally just to change the different mic volumes slightly which should not cause an issue with the image.

I cannot think of anything else which might be an issue with putting the DR-60D on top of the camera rather than under it, can you?

edited: I always call it the Tascam D60, but its real name is the Tascam DR-60D.

expatinasia said:
The Tascam DR-60D is designed to sit under the camera, which is how I use it at the moment. However I am unhappy with it like that, as I find when you have a 1DX with 70-200 f/2.8 ii sitting on it, the camera rocks a little if touched even slightly.

If it is on top, I expect your image would shake when you push buttons on it. What about hanging it on a short tether from your tripod? That would separate it mechanically but still leave it accessible for adjustment.

Jim

Upvote 0
Jim Saunders said:
If it is on top, I expect your image would shake when you push buttons on it. What about hanging it on a short tether from your tripod? That would separate it mechanically but still leave it accessible for adjustment.

Jim

Interesting idea, Jim. Thanks.

The volume knobs are very easy to control and should not be an issue, but if I needed to press anything (such as changing the gain) then that could cause vibrations and shake the camera image as you mention. Though to be honest most of that should have been worked out and completed before I start recording.

I doubt a hot shoe adapter is expensive so I may try that first, and will also start looking at cages where I sit the camera in the bottom of the cage and the Tascam sits on the top. But this of course means more to carry!

Cheers.

Upvote 0
pwp said:
I have the Tascam DR-60D and used it under the camera just once...just a touch too wobbly.
It can go onto a shoe on my Lanparte rig, but usually it's on a small lightstand right next to the tripod.

-pw

Thanks for the feedback, pwp.

I can imagine that working very well inside, and is something I had not thought about. How stable is that though when you are outdoors?

I use it indoor a lot, but also quite frequently outdoors, even if just under an awning or on a terrace.

Upvote 0
You always run the risk of busting the hot shoe. Its a lot easier to do than most people realize. The best configuration ive seen is to use a bottom plate and mount the device to the side of the camera. I also tried mounting it to the bottom of the camera and and found it would introduce noise into the cameras audio when wanting to use that track to sync the PCM audio. Its also difficult to sync the start and stop of both devices at the same time.

Still waiting for some smart engineer to develope a release that will start both recording at the same time.

Upvote 0
East Wind Photography said:
You always run the risk of busting the hot shoe. It's a lot easier to do than most people realize. The best configuration I've seen is to use a bottom plate and mount the device to the side of the camera.

Thanks, East Wind Photography. Plenty of good options now, a bottom plate as you suggest, a lightstand, tethering it to the tripod, a cage and the simple hot shoe adapter. I may just take it all along to a shop and see what works best.

I also tried mounting it to the bottom of the camera and found it would introduce noise into the camera's audio when wanting to use that track to sync the PCM audio.

Have you tried changing the wire to link the camera out on the Tascam and your mic slot in your camera? I have not had any noise issue so far.

It's also difficult to sync the start and stop of both devices at the same time. Still waiting for some smart engineer to develop a release that will start both recording at the same time.

There is a setting on the DR-60D that can automatically make a slate sound at the beginning and end (or just beginning if you want) of the recording. So I selected that option and then turn on the recording on the camera first before starting the Tascam recording. Works perfectly.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Went to a shop and ended up getting this exact hot shoe adapter (it is not my picture) for US$ 12.5.

They did have a cage but I have to consider all the travelling I do, and I think as long as I am careful this adapter should work fine.

Have already mounted it to the camera and it seems sturdy and I cannot see anything getting in the way or causing problems. I will be testing it in real life interviews next week so will see how it goes then. Will let you know.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Attachments

• hotshoeadapterS.JPG
    hotshoeadapterS.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 500
Upvote 0
I promised I would report back on how this cheap solution has been.

I have now used the newly bought hot shoe adapter and mounted the Tascam DR-60D on top of the camera during quite a lot of recordings and I am very, very pleased.

To test everything, I used it mounted to the camera with the body attached to the tripod, and mounted to the camera using the lens (70-200 f/2.8 ii) attached to the tripod.

Both work well but I prefer the lens to be attached to the tripod (I can tighten the plate in better) with the Tascam attached on top of the camera.

No problems with wires, or anything thus far so I am very pleased with my US$ 12.5 investment.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Upvote 0