TDP Canon EOS Rebel SL2 / 200D Noise Test Results

Mar 25, 2011
rrcphoto said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
It takes a long time between live view shots, I need to find out why I have to wait a few seconds.

check to see if you have image preview turned on. that's usually the culprit.

Yes, I posted later that image preview slows it down. I'm not even sure why image preview is turned on by default in live view. Turning it off reduces the delay, but its still too long. Using the shutter button eliminates the issue, touch the screen to place the focus point where you want it, then use the shutter button to track the subject and close the shutter. You can use continuous drive and AEB by holding the shutter button, but not by touch of the screen.

I still have issues holding the camera, right now, I'm thinking I'll return it for a 80D, its no fun using a camera if it makes your hand cramp. No such cramp issue with my 5D MK IV.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
rrcphoto said:
It takes a long time between live view shots, I need to find out why I have to wait a few seconds.

Yes, I posted later that image preview slows it down. I'm not even sure why image preview is turned on by default in live view. Turning it off reduces the delay, but its still too long. Using the shutter button eliminates the issue, touch the screen to place the focus point where you want it, then use the shutter button to track the subject and close the shutter. You can use continuous drive and AEB by holding the shutter button, but not by touch of the screen.

I still have issues holding the camera, right now, I'm thinking I'll return it for a 80D, its no fun using a camera if it makes your hand cramp. No such cramp issue with my 5D MK IV.

i found the SL1 a little too small. I also find the M5 a little uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time.

there's nothing like the 5D /1D grip and feel where you can just hold onto that camera for hours on end without a problem.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
rrcphoto said:
rrcphoto said:

i found the SL1 a little too small. I also find the M5 a little uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time.

there's nothing like the 5D /1D grip and feel where you can just hold onto that camera for hours on end without a problem.

I just sold my 1D MK III, I bought it after I thought my carpal tunnel was over, I had surgery on both hands three years ago and sold my 1D MK IV. I found that my wrists could not handle the 1 series. I think a 80D would be ok. I was wanting a small camera to take to places where a bigger one was too much. I really like the SL2, except for holding it. I bought a 15-85mm EF-s lens today for it, so I'm committed to a crop body. I'll carry the SL2 around some more. Its the carpal tunnel, my grip using my thumb is weak, the 5 series bodies fit great and do not put so much stress on my thumb. With the SL2, my thumb covers the corner of the touch screen unless I grab it with the end of my thumb and pinch it. That puts lots of stress on the thumb.

I requested a RMA from Canon tonight by email, I have difficulty hearing over the phone.

Upvote 0
[...]

I just sold my 1D MK III, I bought it after I thought my carpal tunnel was over, I had surgery on both hands three years ago and sold my 1D MK IV. I found that my wrists could not handle the 1 series. I think a 80D would be ok. I was wanting a small camera to take to places where a bigger one was too much. I really like the SL2, except for holding it. I bought a 15-85mm EF-s lens today for it, so I'm committed to a crop body. I'll carry the SL2 around some more. Its the carpal tunnel, my grip using my thumb is weak, the 5 series bodies fit great and do not put so much stress on my thumb. With the SL2, my thumb covers the corner of the touch screen unless I grab it with the end of my thumb and pinch it. That puts lots of stress on the thumb.

I requested a RMA from Canon tonight by email, I have difficulty hearing over the phone.

What a pity!

I have luck because I can hold it without cramping - no carpal tunnel syndrome / large hands but maybe thinner fingers that helps sometimes. For me it is much much easier to hold than the 600D. 40D or 5D are better and maybe comparable to the 80D.

I have made three views how I can hold the 200D comfortably -the quality is bad because I made them with my 200D via one / two mirrors of bad quality (potential 200D buyers: THIS DOES NOT REFLECT THE TYPICAL IQ OF THAT CAMERA :)

Maybe it helps ... good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_0207.JPG
    IMG_0207.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0208.JPG
    IMG_0208.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0209.JPG
    IMG_0209.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 0
mb66energy said:
For me it is much much easier to hold than the 600D. 40D or 5D are better and maybe comparable to the 80D.

Same here - I try to hold the XXXD the same way as the larger bodies, and it doesn't work. The SL1 (no SL2 yet) is fine because I use my pinky on the bottom of the camera, as you show, and my fingers don't even wrap around the grip.

Upvote 0
LonelyBoy said:
mb66energy said:
For me it is much much easier to hold than the 600D. 40D or 5D are better and maybe comparable to the 80D.

Same here - I try to hold the XXXD the same way as the larger bodies, and it doesn't work. The SL1 (no SL2 yet) is fine because I use my pinky on the bottom of the camera, as you show, and my fingers don't even wrap around the grip.

Good to see independent confirmation of my observation!

Upvote 0
Just for the two or three (potential) buyers of SL2 / 200D around here :)

Photonstophotos has published DR and noise related data on their website http://www.photonstophotos.net/ (first 4 links)

If you compare 200D versus 80D the full data acquisition chain (sensor / ADC / PCB / processor) shows a very similar behaviour and one might expect the same IQ from this entry level camera compared to the more mature 80D.
I am glad to see that IQ is still paramount for Canon in one of their cheapest offers of interchangeable lens cameras.

Gives me more latitude for contralight situations which I like most.

And DPAF is a killer for everything where you have 2 sec time - it's great to see a comfortable, fast and very precise way to set the focus point where I want to be it (except close to the borders).

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
mb66energy said:
If you compare 200D versus 80D the full data acquisition chain (sensor / ADC / PCB / processor) shows a very similar behaviour and one might expect the same IQ from this entry level camera compared to the more mature 80D.
I am glad to see that IQ is still paramount for Canon in one of their cheapest offers of interchangeable lens cameras.
And I am still shocked about the archaic AF they gave to it.
Could have been mine, if they had improved AF just by a little bit :(
(e.g. 9 pt. all cross, or old 7D or else) :'(

But thanks for that information.

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
mb66energy said:
And I am still shocked about the archaic AF they gave to it.
Could have been mine, if they had improved AF just by a little bit :(
(e.g. 9 pt. all cross, or old 7D or else) :'(

But thanks for that information.

The old AF does hurt, but for the purpose of sitting in the glovebox (ok, center console) for handiness, it shouldn't be too bad. OTOH, maybe that means just keep my SL1. Which is probably the answer.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
LonelyBoy said:
The old AF does hurt, but for the purpose of sitting in the glovebox (ok, center console) for handiness, it shouldn't be too bad. OTOH, maybe that means just keep my SL1. Which is probably the answer.
I take my 100D/SL1 quite often with me, when I want to travel light and when my > 1.000 € equipment is not ensured, e.g. on vacation.
As I like to take pictures from my children as well as wildlife and so on a better AF would have been my #1 feature to improve. A better sensor is also nice but not enough for me to get the SL2/200D.
I can understand that Canon wanted to differentiate this body from the other xxxD and esp. the xxD bodies and I never expected this one to get the 77D AF, but just keeping this ages old AF is really annoying to me.

But good to see that they put in a really good sensor, at least.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Maximilian said:
LonelyBoy said:
I take my 100D/SL1 quite often with me, when I want to travel light and when my > 1.000 € equipment is not ensured, e.g. on vacation.
As I like to take pictures from my children as well as wildlife and so on a better AF would have been my #1 feature to improve. A better sensor is also nice but not enough for me to get the SL2/200D.
I can understand that Canon wanted to differentiate this body from the other xxxD and esp. the xxD bodies and I never expected this one to get the 77D AF, but just keeping this ages old AF is really annoying to me.

But good to see that they put in a really good sensor, at least.

Why does the AF not work for you? I have had most of the 1 series models, all of the 5 series models, and I find AF works fine. The DPAF, in particular is fast and accurate, and tracking works fine. Do you own one, or just read reviews from others who don't own one either?

I guess that I've spent most of my 60 years of photography with just one AF point, and did fine, I like my new 5D MK IV, but for 1/6th the price, the SL-2 is very good.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hi Mt Spokane!

Why does the AF not work for you?
I am using my DSLRs 99% with OVF. Here the 10+ years 9 pt AF of the 100D/SL1 is simply not accurate enough (for me) and of course I am also a little bit spoiled by my 5D3. Of course I do not expect anything close to that in a xxxD/Rebel body.
But as I've stated in other threads about the SL1/100D for me the AF system would have been #1 reason to upgrade, and I was quite willing to do so.

The DPAF, in particular is fast and accurate, and tracking works fine.
As I am not using LiveView most of the time DPAF is nice for you but not for me.

Do you own one, or just read reviews from others who don't own one either?
Yes, I own a 100D/SL1 as I also own a 5D3.
And no, I don't own a 200D/SL2. But I also don't just read reviews from others who don't own one either.
I know my brick and morter stroe in Nürnberg and I like to take hands on new stuff. The 200D AF didn't feel different or better within the time I could hold it in my hand.
And as we came across here at CR you might have recognized that I am no troll and no Canon basher either.
But it seems you like to push me into that corner. Please stop that, because I gave you no reason for that.

I am just upset that Canon is still implementing an AF system more than 10 years old in a todays camera.

I guess that I've spent most of my 60 years of photography with just one AF point, and did fine
Please tell me what kind of consumer camera was availale 60 years ago with AF?
And you might also agree that a daguerreotype camera no longer is what someone calls "state of the art", don't you?

I like my new 5D MK IV, but for 1/6th the price, the SL-2 is very good.
I am with you here that the 200D/SL2 is a good package, as my 100D was at the time of release, except for the AF system, that was old even 4 years ago.
Here Canon made a decission that took me off the buyers list. That's it.
If the other features take more buyers on the list than like me off it, Canon made everything right.
Even with an outdated AF system.

Upvote 0