TDP: EOS 6D Mark II Image Quality and analysis

Nov 3, 2012
privatebydesign said:
Yes, but have you been following Tom's posts across threads and linked to in the post above yours? His actual use of the camera and his experienced impressions of it are kinda making arm chair analysis's like you look kinda irrelevant.

Same with jeffa444, another very experienced camera user who moved from a 6D and has a 5DS yet is really liking the 6D MkII http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=33197.msg685018#msg685018

If I were you I'd seriously look at my reason for doing the photography and the actual output I am making, the 6D MkII and 5DS are entirely different beasts with very different strengths and weaknesses, if you are in the market for one I don't see how you could swap that out for the other. I could understand owning both, but not comparing them to do the same job.

My challenge is that my photography covers a very wide spectrum:
- I'm a biologist and use photography as a tool to highlight the importance of the natural environment and the threats it faces
- I shoot events and weddings, as well as water sports
- My passion is exhibition-grade black and white landscapes.
- And I take my M3 hiking and on travel.

So perhaps I have covered the question about my reason for photography. Some of these activities generate income, but I still need to carefully manage "investment" in gear, especially bodies, that don't have the life of lenses, and in particular to cover the wide spectrum that I shoot.

So when a new generation of bodies comes available I look with an open mind as to how that will advance my craft. Indeed I've just invested in a large format printer and this gave a boost to my craft that a new body ever would.

I considered that the move from a 5DII to a 6D to be an upgrade in IQ. In hindsight, I should have invested more in getting a 5DIII, because as I noted in Tom's thread, AF proved to be a major constraint in event photography. It appears to me that the AF of the 5DS is a step up on the 6D and would meet my needs (it is more than a high MP camera). The pricing of the 5DIV is now a third more than a 5DS, so is out of my ballpark. Just like the 5DS when introduced.

You questioned my choices between various FF models. You will see that I look for bang for my buck. The 6D represented quite a big bang for my buck at the time. As an armchair observer, it does not look like the 6DII represents an upgrade at this point in time.

I don't care if I am part of Canon's target market for the 6DII. I compare the camera to other new Canon cameras (given my investment in lenses) as well as my existing bodies when I consider further investment.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Frodo said:
privatebydesign said:
Yes, but have you been following Tom's posts across threads and linked to in the post above yours? His actual use of the camera and his experienced impressions of it are kinda making arm chair analysis's like you look kinda irrelevant.

Same with jeffa444, another very experienced camera user who moved from a 6D and has a 5DS yet is really liking the 6D MkII http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=33197.msg685018#msg685018

If I were you I'd seriously look at my reason for doing the photography and the actual output I am making, the 6D MkII and 5DS are entirely different beasts with very different strengths and weaknesses, if you are in the market for one I don't see how you could swap that out for the other. I could understand owning both, but not comparing them to do the same job.

My challenge is that my photography covers a very wide spectrum:
- I'm a biologist and use photography as a tool to highlight the importance of the natural environment and the threats it faces
- I shoot events and weddings, as well as water sports
- My passion is exhibition-grade black and white landscapes.
- And I take my M3 hiking and on travel.

So perhaps I have covered the question about my reason for photography. Some of these activities generate income, but I still need to carefully manage "investment" in gear, especially bodies, that don't have the life of lenses, and in particular to cover the wide spectrum that I shoot.

So when a new generation of bodies comes available I look with an open mind as to how that will advance my craft. Indeed I've just invested in a large format printer and this gave a boost to my craft that a new body ever would.

I considered that the move from a 5DII to a 6D to be an upgrade in IQ. In hindsight, I should have invested more in getting a 5DIII, because as I noted in Tom's thread, AF proved to be a major constraint in event photography. It appears to me that the AF of the 5DS is a step up on the 6D and would meet my needs (it is more than a high MP camera). The pricing of the 5DIV is now a third more than a 5DS, so is out of my ballpark. Just like the 5DS when introduced.

You questioned my choices between various FF models. You will see that I look for bang for my buck. The 6D represented quite a big bang for my buck at the time. As an armchair observer, it does not look like the 6DII represents an upgrade at this point in time.

I don't care if I am part of Canon's target market for the 6DII. I compare the camera to other new Canon cameras (given my investment in lenses) as well as my existing bodies when I consider further investment.

I didnt say AF was a huge constraint, the difference in af is very small you just dont have the case selection but you can make your own and attach it to a custom mode.

The actual spread is smaller but then the MKIII isnt exactly large either... you get maybe an extra 10% spread on the MKIII. It was a little strange at first but soon forgot about it. Same with the lack of AF selection stick, I have found changing the way I shoot to the 2 control wheels makes AF selection much faster so it doesnt hamper me. Moving the wheel you can fly through 3-4 points in the same time for one push of the control stick. Makes me shoot faster and miss less.

In terms of AF accuracy I am having a little inconsistency with the 24-70 MKI but nothing to complain too much about, all my other lenses are stellar. The 100-400mm locks on so quickly and I came home from a weekend of shooting deer with barely one out of focus from around 3k images. One of the days I used the 1.4 attached exclusively. With my 5DMKIII and 7DMKII I just didnt trust the combo, very rarely hit constantly. Having the F8 points across the middle of the frame is also a revelation for wildlife photographers it makes composition so much easier and its accurate.

For travel, GPS, WIFI and the tilt screen... revelation. I traveled the world for a year with my 5DMKIII and 7DMKII could easily combine the two into the 6DMKII and really wish I had it. Quick send images to the phone/tablet for lightroom mobile, I know where I shot images with GPS. getting low angles with the screen instead of getting filthy and wet lying down. Just fantastic. I havent been and done any traveling yet because Ive only had it for a few weeks but did hike 20km with it at the weekend and its light enough not to worry about and I even took a few selfies with it! haha! ridiculous.

I had the same thoughts as you and its not an easy decision. I narrowed it down and these were my thoughts that put me off the 5DSR and 5DS.

I generally shoot 6-8tbs of images per year using all my bodies which were all in the 20-22mp region. The 5DS/R is nearly 3x the resolution so your talking nearly 18tb on the small end. I really dont want to deal with that, if you have a decent back up strategy you have a main machine with said drives with an on site back up and an offsite. Essentially 54TBs between my mac pro and two HP servers. A 4tb drive is £100 I would need 13.5 of them to cover the low end which would be over £1000 extra per year.

Continuing with that point per wedding - the 5Ds and SR opens a whole other can of worms, in terms of file size and storage, man I would hate to bring back 3-4k images that are 50mp. Currently im shooting around 150gbs per wedding at that volume with a 5DS double it and probably a bit more. Then there is the taxation on your rig say you bring that 3-4k down to 500-600 images it would take lightroom the best part of 3-4 hours maybe more to make 1-1 previews so you can actually edit them even if you have the latest quad i7s. Lightroom just isnt well optimized and the more MP you throw at it the worse it gets. (Currently)

When you actually start adding adjustments especially sharpening and noise reduction it makes computers crawl at that resolution. Im currently using a 3.5 hex mac pro which is a few years old and its ok with the 5DMKIII and 6DMKII but can be frustrating. Seen as apple hasnt made a new mac pro I didnt want to be spending more time editing then eventually having to swap out my rig probably another £4-5k when they release a new one.

Then actual benefit... the IQ on the 6DMKII especially at high ISO is much improved over the 5DS, 3200iso is probably as far as I would like to go. On the 6DMKII I was happy to let it run to 12800 and the files looked great.

All the things you speak of I shoot too, apart from im not a biologist but wildlife is a personal passion and I shoot Motorsport not Watersport. Apart from landscape all the disciplines are in the higher ISO spectrum because of freezing action and the fact all the disciplines are rarely in good light.

Cost also, the 5DS is 2 years old already, I bought my 6DMKII for £1500 at launch thats a fair chunk of saving.

There is also the issue of lens quality. My most used lenses 24-70mm MKI and 16-35mm MKII both are not suitable for the 5DS/R which would mean me spending £3k upgrading them alone. Also the fact that its touch and go with balancing ISO with shutterspeeds in the lighting conditions at weddings and the fact you have more than twice the resolution than the 5DMKIII means you have to be super careful with shutterspeed to ensure that your images are sharp. The fact the 70-200mm MKII is the only lens in the F2.8 trinity that has IS doesn't really help with such a high res camera.

They are great cameras for sure but for weddings they just arent IMO. How often would you crop down far enough to use the 50mp, most of the time I would be downsizing them just to get them to a suitable file size for a client to use. Largest I print is A2 unless its a special request.

There is more than the body to think about in an upgrade. What I listed there was a huge investment in the short term. 2k on the camera 3k on lenses and extra 1k on drives and probably an upgraded rig of 4-5k. Thats a huge investment for me to make one camera work in my workflow. People often forget this, especially if you shoot professionally and deal with the amount of images I do.

When you look at it like that the 6DMKII is a relative bargain. A 5DMKIII with a little more resolution (that I can still use my lenses and rig without taxing it too much more) sharper sensor and all the banding and purple muddy shadow areas solved.

For you, like me the 5DMKIV is the best camera but at the same time you are looking for value for money and the 6DMKII has it in spades its 85% the 5DMKIV at 50% the price. The 5DMKIV is amazing and I appreciate how much of a complete camera it is but for the improvements I didnt see the value in spending twice that of a MKIII. (Because mine was stolen)

Now the 6DMKII is out it is almost £500 cheaper than a brand new MKIII and it performs better and is 5 years newer. I shot over 350,000 images all over the world with my 5DMKIII and loved it but I wouldn't buy another. I was editing some images for a magazine earlier in the week and I opened an ISO 125 file and im so used to the latitude of the 6DMKII already that I was amazed how quickly noise and banding appeared and how much more work I had to do to fix it.

For me I have bought the 6DMKII it as a stop gap as its nearly the end of wedding season and Im going to do a 3-4 week trip in the fall (Not sure where yet) and I have a feeling that market pressure may push the 5DMKIV into a price reduction like what happened to the MKIII 18 months in, so will pick one up for the start of next years season then and keep the 6DMKII and use both.

That being said I am smitten with the 6DMKII its a really lovely camera to use and really doesn't deserve the blasting its had. The DR isnt improved but the quality of that DR has! which is the main thing the 5DMKIII needed to improve. The 5DMKIII was nearly all the camera I needed and wanted and the 6DMKII has added most thing, taken a couple away too... But thats life.

It is seriously underrated and its such a shame its given me a bit of a spring into my photographic step as I love all the extra features.

The one main negative which is an issue is the single card slot but as Ive explained in 10 years ive never had a card fail so im not really worried. I swap my cards out regularly and look after them.

Anyway who cares what I think or anyone else, go rent the bodies and shoot some images and do the math.

It might turn out that the extra £500 on a 5DS for a 5DMKIV will save you money and you will get better images. Or it might be similar to me a stopgap. The 6DMKII may replace your M3 for travel and you get a 5DMKIV further down the line when the prices are more sensible.

At the end of the day ive spent the time shooting the images and posting comments to try and help people like me make difficult choices in a time where cameras are very very similar and we are comparing minuscule differences when you ACTUALLY get into the real world. Sometimes some objectiveness instead of emotion is helpful.

Upvote 0
( I didnt say AF was a huge constraint, the difference in af is very small you just dont have the case selection but you can make your own and attach it to a custom mode.

The actual spread is smaller but then the MKIII isnt exactly large either... you get maybe an extra 10% spread on the MKIII. It was a little strange at first but soon forgot about it. Same with the lack of AF selection stick, I have found changing the way I shoot to the 2 control wheels makes AF selection much faster so it doesnt hamper me. Moving the wheel you can fly through 3-4 points in the same time for one push of the control stick. Makes me shoot faster and miss less.

In terms of AF accuracy I am having a little inconsistency with the 24-70 MKI but nothing to complain too much about, all my other lenses are stellar. The 100-400mm locks on so quickly and I came home from a weekend of shooting deer with barely one out of focus from around 3k images. One of the days I used the 1.4 attached exclusively. With my 5DMKIII and 7DMKII I just didnt trust the combo, very rarely hit constantly. Having the F8 points across the middle of the frame is also a revelation for wildlife photographers it makes composition so much easier and its accurate.

For travel, GPS, WIFI and the tilt screen... revelation. I traveled the world for a year with my 5DMKIII and 7DMKII could easily combine the two into the 6DMKII and really wish I had it. Quick send images to the phone/tablet for lightroom mobile, I know where I shot images with GPS. getting low angles with the screen instead of getting filthy and wet lying down. Just fantastic. I havent been and done any traveling yet because Ive only had it for a few weeks but did hike 20km with it at the weekend and its light enough not to worry about and I even took a few selfies with it! haha! ridiculous.

I had the same thoughts as you and its not an easy decision. I narrowed it down and these were my thoughts that put me off the 5DSR and 5DS.

I generally shoot 6-8tbs of images per year using all my bodies which were all in the 20-22mp region. The 5DS/R is nearly 3x the resolution so your talking nearly 18tb on the small end. I really dont want to deal with that, if you have a decent back up strategy you have a main machine with said drives with an on site back up and an offsite. Essentially 54TBs between my mac pro and two HP servers. A 4tb drive is £100 I would need 13.5 of them to cover the low end which would be over £1000 extra per year.

Continuing with that point per wedding - the 5Ds and SR opens a whole other can of worms, in terms of file size and storage, man I would hate to bring back 3-4k images that are 50mp. Currently im shooting around 150gbs per wedding at that volume with a 5DS double it and probably a bit more. Then there is the taxation on your rig say you bring that 3-4k down to 500-600 images it would take lightroom the best part of 3-4 hours maybe more to make 1-1 previews so you can actually edit them even if you have the latest quad i7s. Lightroom just isnt well optimized and the more MP you throw at it the worse it gets. (Currently)

When you actually start adding adjustments especially sharpening and noise reduction it makes computers crawl at that resolution. Im currently using a 3.5 hex mac pro which is a few years old and its ok with the 5DMKIII and 6DMKII but can be frustrating. Seen as apple hasnt made a new mac pro I didnt want to be spending more time editing then eventually having to swap out my rig probably another £4-5k when they release a new one.

Then actual benefit... the IQ on the 6DMKII especially at high ISO is much improved over the 5DS, 3200iso is probably as far as I would like to go. On the 6DMKII I was happy to let it run to 12800 and the files looked great.

All the things you speak of I shoot too, apart from im not a biologist but wildlife is a personal passion and I shoot Motorsport not Watersport. Apart from landscape all the disciplines are in the higher ISO spectrum because of freezing action and the fact all the disciplines are rarely in good light.

Cost also, the 5DS is 2 years old already, I bought my 6DMKII for £1500 at launch thats a fair chunk of saving.

There is also the issue of lens quality. My most used lenses 24-70mm MKI and 16-35mm MKII both are not suitable for the 5DS/R which would mean me spending £3k upgrading them alone. Also the fact that its touch and go with balancing ISO with shutterspeeds in the lighting conditions at weddings and the fact you have more than twice the resolution than the 5DMKIII means you have to be super careful with shutterspeed to ensure that your images are sharp. The fact the 70-200mm MKII is the only lens in the F2.8 trinity that has IS doesn't really help with such a high res camera.

They are great cameras for sure but for weddings they just arent IMO. How often would you crop down far enough to use the 50mp, most of the time I would be downsizing them just to get them to a suitable file size for a client to use. Largest I print is A2 unless its a special request.

There is more than the body to think about in an upgrade. What I listed there was a huge investment in the short term. 2k on the camera 3k on lenses and extra 1k on drives and probably an upgraded rig of 4-5k. Thats a huge investment for me to make one camera work in my workflow. People often forget this, especially if you shoot professionally and deal with the amount of images I do.

When you look at it like that the 6DMKII is a relative bargain. A 5DMKIII with a little more resolution (that I can still use my lenses and rig without taxing it too much more) sharper sensor and all the banding and purple muddy shadow areas solved.

For you, like me the 5DMKIV is the best camera but at the same time you are looking for value for money and the 6DMKII has it in spades its 85% the 5DMKIV at 50% the price. The 5DMKIV is amazing and I appreciate how much of a complete camera it is but for the improvements I didnt see the value in spending twice that of a MKIII. (Because mine was stolen)

Now the 6DMKII is out it is almost £500 cheaper than a brand new MKIII and it performs better and is 5 years newer. I shot over 350,000 images all over the world with my 5DMKIII and loved it but I wouldn't buy another. I was editing some images for a magazine earlier in the week and I opened an ISO 125 file and im so used to the latitude of the 6DMKII already that I was amazed how quickly noise and banding appeared and how much more work I had to do to fix it.

For me I have bought the 6DMKII it as a stop gap as its nearly the end of wedding season and Im going to do a 3-4 week trip in the fall (Not sure where yet) and I have a feeling that market pressure may push the 5DMKIV into a price reduction like what happened to the MKIII 18 months in, so will pick one up for the start of next years season then and keep the 6DMKII and use both.

That being said I am smitten with the 6DMKII its a really lovely camera to use and really doesn't deserve the blasting its had. The DR isnt improved but the quality of that DR has! which is the main thing the 5DMKIII needed to improve. The 5DMKIII was nearly all the camera I needed and wanted and the 6DMKII has added most thing, taken a couple away too... But thats life.

It is seriously underrated and its such a shame its given me a bit of a spring into my photographic step as I love all the extra features.

The one main negative which is an issue is the single card slot but as Ive explained in 10 years ive never had a card fail so im not really worried. I swap my cards out regularly and look after them.

Anyway who cares what I think or anyone else, go rent the bodies and shoot some images and do the math.

It might turn out that the extra £500 on a 5DS for a 5DMKIV will save you money and you will get better images. Or it might be similar to me a stopgap. The 6DMKII may replace your M3 for travel and you get a 5DMKIV further down the line when the prices are more sensible.

At the end of the day ive spent the time shooting the images and posting comments to try and help people like me make difficult choices in a time where cameras are very very similar and we are comparing minuscule differences when you ACTUALLY get into the real world. Sometimes some objectiveness instead of emotion is helpful. )

'Excellent Points!!!'

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Mikehit said:
Here we go again....the US prices are without tax, the European prices include tax.

I actually didn't know that, though I should, because I buy lots of stuff from the UK, which includes tax. The ironic thing with UK vendors is that for some of them, the GBP price includes tax for locals; but for international shipments, they charge the tax-in price, and then they charge us our tax on top of that.

One thing to keep in mind in the US is, it's possible on the large purchases to buy it tax free -- there are states that are tax free (and some with very low sales tax), and some camera vendors don't charge sales tax if you buy it across state lines, because they don't do enough business in the state that they're selling to.

That can sound complicated... but it's not hard to take advantage of. Even things sold by Amazon, if they say "Fulfilled by Amazon" (where Amazon stocks and ships it for free to Prime members on behalf of another company) are often this way. So, there might be 6 vendors for an item, and 3 of them might happen to be tax free.

In Canada, the prices are without taxes too, but in most provinces, most of the sales taxes are fully refundable if it's for business purposes (in others, it's only the federal portion). If you report any professional earnings from your photography, even a negligible amount, you can get a refund. It's not hard to take advantage of, because you have to file the forms anyway, either monthly, quarterly or annually depending on your revenue.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Frodo said:
Hey PBD
I don't disagree that Canon's primary market is crop sensor upgraders.
Just that the comparison of the 6DII should be vs other FF cameras, not crop sensors.
In spite of all this, there is plenty of scope for experienced photographers (like myself) to buy the 6DII. I moved from a 300D to a 20D to a 5D, to 5DII to 6D. Dustin Abbott wrote an excellent blog saying why he bought a 6D rather than 5DIII.
And, finally, having seen that, I've compared my 6D to my M3 image quality and the gain is just a little shadow detail. Other than DoF, FF has little benefit over an equivalent MP crop camera. I'm now considering a 5DS as my next camera - quite a bit cheaper than 5DIV.

Yes, and no.

Of course, from an apples to apples point of view, you're right - "which FF option is better for me?".

On the other hand, I think that the 6DII is squarely targeted at people who have been locked into APSC for a variety of reasons (price, probably being a large factor). It has much familiarity with the xxD bodies, more so than with 5D -- anyone with an 80D will be immediately at home, with the primary differences being slightly different size, the zoom button, and a few tiny menu differences.

So, if you're talking to someone with an APSC, they'll be comparing what they have with the 6DII.

For a lot of those people, 5DIV is just going to be too expensive; they won't even consider it. For me, the 5DIV/5DSr has no flip screen, so it's automatically excluded from my shopping list :( But I won't lie, the price is a deterrent anyways, partly because it's high, but also partly because I know that I'll want a new body in 3 years or less anyways, and I can take the difference of $1,000 and buy something else (lens, tripod stuff, studio case, lighting) that will last me 8-10+ years, or just save it and put it towards my next crop camera body, which will probably be an 80D/7D successor.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Frodo said:
And, finally, having seen that, I've compared my 6D to my M3 image quality and the gain is just a little shadow detail. Other than DoF, FF has little benefit over an equivalent MP crop camera.

Was this at base ISO?

I shoot the 5DIII, M3, and G7X II. The M3 does have pretty remarkable IQ at less than ISO 800, but I am seeing consistently 1-2 stops improvement in the 5DIII above that.

From another post, it also sounds as if you've run into some of the same other issues I've hit with the M3, AF, especially in low light. It is only rated down to +2 EV. In addition to DPAF, the M6 is rated down to -1EV. I may upgrade for the DPAF and lower sensitivity, but looking at DXOMark, the M3 actually has better DR at ISO's higher than 800.

Anyway, full frame still has its advantages, IMO. They are not always sensor related, the 5DIII's AF is sensitive down to -2 EV while the 6DII, and 5DIV are sensitive down to -3 EV. I borrowed the 5DIV and it would lock in near darkness where the 5DIII would continue to hunt (same lens).

Anyway, good luck!

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
This is a very useful, constructive thread!
Last night I shot an orientation/initiation event for young men. There was a lot of sitting around the fire. I used my 6D, 35/2IS and 85/1.8, mostly at 6400 ISO. The IS on the 35mm kept the images sharp, but the 85mm suffered a little at shutter speeds of 1/30 or so. Focusing with the centre point was okay, but I often had to prefocus on constrasty parts of the image. Overall, very pleased.
This made me realise:
- IQ at 6400 is important
- I missed a flip screen for taking low level and high level shots (getting spoiled with the M3)
- AF with live view is usable, but only just.

Ivan, I appreciate your points. I had not seen the 5DS as a step up from the 6DII, but more as a saving on the 5DIV. When I travel, I do use GPS and have used the wifi connected to a tablet to take high group shots with the camera at the end of an extended monopod. My current HP i7 desktop is perhaps 5 years old and needs an upgrade - I would rather spend the money on a new body - computers don't excite me - a 5DS file would kill it. So yes, you've help me shift the 5DS from the equation.

Docsmith, yes the comparison of the M3 and 6D was at base ISO, using the 24-105/4 mkI vs the 11-22/4-5.6. I shot images from the same tripod on a sunny summer day with deep shadows, exposed to give similar histograms, and processed in LR to give 6000x4000 files. Happy to post them here if others are interested. I was really surprised how the M3 performed. As I noted the 6D has better shadow detail, but not much (no more than a stop) and the M3 does not show banding, just noisy colour (getting into purple) if pushed too hard. If I really need shadow detail I can merge 3 photos (but with the 1 fps on the M3, this needs a tripod and non-moving subject) - I find I rarely exposure bracket the 6D.

The M3 is now my travel camera when I have to travel light and my casual camera when the 6D would otherwise stay at home. But it would have been hopeless last night.

The relative IQ of the M3 made me think that sensor IQ is getting the point that a 24MP APSC meets many (most) of my needs for travel and landscape work (the 11-22/4-5.6 is a gem). From a landscape IQ perspective, the 5DS would be a step up in terms of IQ and resolution - the 6DII not so. I have just bought a good printer and am now printing images 24 inches wide and the M3 does remarkably well. But frankly, I reprocessed and reprinted a couple of photos taken on my 12MP 5D that look good at 24 inches wide. The biggest difference is that the FF camera has a shallower depth of field with equivalent lenses and can more easily isolate background than an APSC camera. I certainly find that having a camera with me is better to capture a moment when the light or subject is just right, than a larger 6D that stays at home.

What I need in a DSLR is responsiveness, accurate AF, high ISO IQ. I sounds from the reports in this thread that the 6DII delivers. I'll wait for the price to drop just a little further...

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
FWIW, I ended up getting a used (20,000 exposures) 5DsR for only a little more than a new 6DII. Very happy with the decision. Dramatically better camera than the 6D (and my 5DII). Love the shutter. Quieter than the quiet mode of my 6D and faster. Dynamic range is about the same as my 6D. Focusing is waaay better. Main gripe is the very poor conversion of mRaw files by Lightroom. And a flippy screen would be nice.
Keeping my 6D is backup camera for events.

Upvote 0