TDP: Just Posted: Canon EOS R Review

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
His comments about the AF performance are a little puzzling. Early on he writes: "To test AI Servo action-tracking AF performance, I photographed, among other things, a cross country meet using the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens via a Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS R. The results were excellent ..."
Then a throwaway line in the middle: "Fast action sports photography is not this camera's forte."
Finally in the closing stages: "The EOS R's AF system, very fast and extremely accurate, leaves me wanting nothing."

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
His comments about the AF performance are a little puzzling. Early on he writes: "To test AI Servo action-tracking AF performance, I photographed, among other things, a cross country meet using the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens via a Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS R. The results were excellent ..."
Then a throwaway line in the middle: "Fast action sports photography is not this camera's forte."
Finally in the closing stages: "The EOS R's AF system, very fast and extremely accurate, leaves me wanting nothing."
Maybe he is saying that fast action sports needs more fps than the R can deliver, even if the AF is fast and accurate.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC

This one was cute: "For those choosing between Sony and Canon MILCs, note that the Canon does not defocus prior to focusing in One Shot AF mode. Especially because of this design difference, the Canon's One Shot AF lock time is dramatically faster than the Sony's."

My 1980's Minolta Maxxum has dramatically faster one shot AF lock time over Sony :D

But I actually didn't think that the Sony defocused. It's more like on the sony, in one shot AF, it uses PDAF to get close, then hunts (moves focus slightly too far, then rocks back/forth to find the precise focus).

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I wish Brian went into a bit more detail about the AF with the extender (other than that it works up to f/11 now). I'm very curious as to performance with the 1.4x and 2x extenders with lenses like 100-400LII.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Thanks for the link. I wonder if Canon will keep the touch bar around or if they'll ditch it. From all accounts, it seems to be one of the least popular aspects of the R.

Personally, I don't think the issue is so much the touch bar itself as it is where they chose to place it. At the back of camera near where you rest your hand = not the best location for folks with larger hands. Too easy to accidentally press, and if you engage the lock mechanism, a) it further slows down the operation of the camera whatever you have it set to control, b) it is laggy to respond once it does get activated. I think the top of the camera may have worked better, but I would not be opposed to its complete disappearance. Chalk it up to a lesson learned/failed experiment...

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
There is more than just the low fps that makes the R not suitable for fast action sport, it’s the fact that you see in the evf in AI servo the previous frame and not the live one. And what sticks out in his comments about AF is the one that it leaves him “wanting nothing” when clearly the AF is lacking an important feature in AI servo. He does in fact acknowledge the problem with the caveat that the AF is good when you can keep the subject in frame.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Thanks for the link. I wonder if Canon will keep the touch bar around or if they'll ditch it. From all accounts, it seems to be one of the least popular aspects of the R.
I tried it then disabled it. My right thumb rides on the corner when holding the camera with my large hand. I can comfortably hold the camera without touching it, but my thumb eventually creeps over it and I do not have sensitive fingers to feel it happen. I thought it would work to change ISO, but it was very difficult to set, I keep overshooting and going back and forth. Its too sensitive for me. I also had difficulty with the touch and drag of the af point, but practice would definitely make it work. I just tap the AF point.

I picked up a couple of new things from the review and found nothing that I greatly disagreed with, I have not tried action shooting, and the only birds around this week are wild turkeys, you have to chase them to get them to fly.

I did snap a photo of my pc monitor while tethered using remote shooting and got the usual diminishing echos.

auct_0011.jpg

Upvote 0
Very thoughtful review from Brian - Thanks for that!

I have ordered the M50 as a test-run for more modern mirrorless compared to Canons first incarnation the EOS M. After using it for some days I have seen more and more advantages in my use scenario: Spontanous photography of not so fast moving subjects while being critical in overall image quality like colours, texture reproduction resulting in crisp imagery full of detail.
I embraced the M50 after these few days of use due to (1) the very precise (DP)AF results with 70-200 IS f/4.0 wide open despite turbulences in the air etc.,, (2) the advantage of f/11-AF I experienced with the EF 400 f/5.6 + 2x TC where this lens delivers great IQ which was close to non-accessible with manual focus, (3) the safe use of the EVF in contralight situation without being blinded by the sun and (4) the clean image quality with a natural look of colors and textures.

(1), (2) and (4) are NOT supported with the SL-2 except with the back display - but the display is ergonomically awful with tele lenses and/or in bright conditions. While the SL-2 is a very capable camera and DPAF helps a lot (e.g. photographing the moon with the above mentioned 400mm + 2x TC - f/11 combo, macro with tripod) the M50 is of much better all round usability!

Why such a lot chatter of those underdogs (M50, SL-2)? Just to say that - after Brians review - I am confident that if I upgrade to FF I can use Canon cameras furthermore thanks to the introduction of the EOS R system. And after acquiring the EF-M 32 f/1.4 I now that the M50 will stay with me because of that gorgeous universal lens and might be complemented by an EOS R FF system on demand!

I just thought about buying a second hand Sony FF MILC with a metabones adapter and FD-Sony-E mount adapter - these thoughts are gone. Definitely!

Upvote 0
While the overall review is in-depth and concise. I'm not sure I entirely agree with the "appears to be a bargain statement" and the wrap-up sentiment that says the EOS R is meant to target a broad market even though it a lacks few "advanced features." Both of these statements taken in isolation might be true, except the FF MILC market has grown considerably in Canon's absence and some competitors are at the trailing end of their current release cycles preparing their new products.

I do think a Canon EOS R flagship is around the corner and I still feel waiting for a second gen product (Even from Canon) is worthwhile, especially if you are already shooting Canon.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
While the overall review is in-depth and concise. I'm not sure I entirely agree with the "appears to be a bargain statement" and the wrap-up sentiment that says the EOS R is meant to target a broad market even though it a lacks few "advanced features." Both of these statements taken in isolation might be true, except the FF MILC market has grown considerably in Canon's absence and some competitors are at the trailing end of their current release cycles preparing their new products.

I do think a Canon EOS R flagship is around the corner and I still feel waiting for a second gen product (Even from Canon) is worthwhile, especially if you are already shooting Canon.

An R flagship would seem to mean a new blockbuster sensor, at least by Canon standards, and would it be in the 1Dx2, the 5D4 or the 5DS megapixel range? Also, they may want to get a few more RF lenses out first. Not going to hold my breath. Think I can get by with my 5D4 for a while.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Never though I would go mirrorless at all, but seeing how low I had to go to sell the 1d, I’m sure glad I did switch now. And I think Bryan is always more positive about Canon products than others. That said, I’m very positively surprised by the R, it’s much better than if I was to just read reviews and come to a conclusion. If I was just going by reviews, I probably wouldn’t have bought it. Good thing reality is different...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0