TDP Review of the RF 15-35 f2.8 L IS

Jul 12, 2013
I have yet to purchase a body suitable for this lens.

When I make that purchase, this lens will be 'tied for first' as far as lens additions are concerned.

mb66energy

EOS 6D MK II
Dec 18, 2011
Germany
www.MichaelBockhorst.de
Bryan posted his review.

I still can’t get over the vignetting of Canons uwa’s...

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-RF-15-35mm-F2.8-L-IS-USM-Lens.aspx
Thanks for the link!
Maybe vignetting is the least problematic lens aberration from the point of view of Canon. And I think it is
easy to correct in most situation except if DR is exhausted in some situations.

IMO the most impressive "feature" is the low impact of artifacts just @f/11 which is necessary
in bright sunlight and I am shure it will be decent with the sun inside the frame. And an UWA which does
not work with the sun inside the frame does not work.

Reactions: Viggo

Viggo

EOS 5D SR
Dec 13, 2010
Yeah, I’ll take vignetting over fringing etc any day for sure. But, man, 5 stops? F2.8 in the center and f16 in the corners , suddenly pushing 5 stops isn’t so ridiculous.

TDP also says the RF50 has a serious amount of vignetting, but it’s always measured in a seriously worst case scenario so at normal focusing distances I see very low vignetting from the 50.

So I think if one includes foreground quite close it might not show anywhere near five stops, but focus at infinity and shooting anything less than f8 and I suspect it willan issue, and what about filter use? A 10 stop on this lens will be very interesting to see the results with.

does anyone here have the 16-35 III and can comment on the vignetting in actual use?

BillB

EOS 6D MK II
May 11, 2017
Yeah, I’ll take vignetting over fringing etc any day for sure. But, man, 5 stops? F2.8 in the center and f16 in the corners , suddenly pushing 5 stops isn’t so ridiculous.

TDP also says the RF50 has a serious amount of vignetting, but it’s always measured in a seriously worst case scenario so at normal focusing distances I see very low vignetting from the 50.

So I think if one includes foreground quite close it might not show anywhere near five stops, but focus at infinity and shooting anything less than f8 and I suspect it willan issue, and what about filter use? A 10 stop on this lens will be very interesting to see the results with.

does anyone here have the 16-35 III and can comment on the vignetting in actual use?
Don't have the 16-35 III, but worst case is likely 16mm @ f2.8. So one question as a starting point is how often are you going to be shooting at 16mm and f2.8 where you are going to be worried about the corners?

bhf3737

---
Sep 9, 2015
Calgary, Canada
www.flickr.com
I guess the wide open indoor architecture would be a good use-case to test this lens' capability.
This review video takes the lens to a cathedral and shoots wide open @15mm f/2.8 (from around 8 minute on): The conclusion was that the corners get a bit soft and some vignetting but not to the level that could make the image unusable.

ethanz

1DX II
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
I guess the wide open indoor architecture would be a good use-case to test this lens' capability.
This review video takes the lens to a cathedral and shoots wide open @15mm f/2.8 (from around 8 minute on): The conclusion was that the corners get a bit soft and some vignetting but not to the level that could make the image unusable.
Yeah he barely mentions the vignetting in that video. So Viggo I think you'll be fine. Just go buy it.

Reactions: Viggo

Viggo

EOS 5D SR
Dec 13, 2010
I had already actually seen that video :D

Viggo

EOS 5D SR
Dec 13, 2010
Don't have the 16-35 III, but worst case is likely 16mm @ f2.8. So one question as a starting point is how often are you going to be shooting at 16mm and f2.8 where you are going to be worried about the corners?
If I had that lens I would always be shooting wide open or buy the f4 L IS again :p and with the AF spread using the R I would be using corners more also.