Teardown: Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Read a post on another forum that Canon may be growing Sony's flourite crystals as well since they don't have internal capacity for flourite. Similar design, similar release date. Could be true. It always seems to me that these camera companies get along much better than their respective fans.

I get along with Nikonites and Sony (only know one) people just fine, as long as they don't take my ribbing them seriously :sneaky:

Upvote 0
I like these teardown articles but I have to wonder, doesn't Canon have a "factory trained repair tech" program? The LR people always seem to be having to guess how things come apart when it seems like they should be able to go learn how to do it from Canon.

They do, if you want to pay a lot of money (way into 6 figures), accept both outside repairs and warranty repairs, which we do not want to do, and sign complete nondisclosure agreements. So pay a fortune, invest another fortune to enter a tough business I don't want to be in, and never write another word about Canon. I'd rather learn it myself.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
They do, if you want to pay a lot of money (way into 6 figures), accept both outside repairs and warranty repairs, which we do not want to do, and sign complete nondisclosure agreements. So pay a fortune, invest another fortune to enter a tough business I don't want to be in, and never write another word about Canon. I'd rather learn it myself.

And I think you guys are smart and adventurous enough to learn it quite well yourselves.

Upvote 0
What if Canon prefers to do the repairs themselves ($$$$$) ?
Lens Rental is , obviously, a rental, not an official repair facility. They must be busy enough with their own stuff, without being asked to repair customer's warranty damages.

Would be an obvious sideline - repair other peoples' stuff and rent them lenses while they're in for repair.

Given that they've already got the trained staff it'd be easy to start, as long as they limited the lenses they repaired to ones they stocked.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Would be an obvious sideline - repair other peoples' stuff and rent them lenses while they're in for repair.

Given that they've already got the trained staff it'd be easy to start, as long as they limited the lenses they repaired to ones they stocked.

That assumes there's both enough trained staff and enough downtime currently to take on extra work. ISTR RogerCicala mentioning that the lens testing department alone had a huge backlog already.

Upvote 0