Teardown: Lensrentals.com checks out what’s inside the Canon EOS R

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
How do you know? Did you do a tear-down too? Work for Canon? The rest of us are speculating.

Rodger did a fantastic tear-down. I think we can move on from what the shell is made of at this point, unless someone has definite Insider knowledge, or has cut a cross section of the shell for us.
SecureGSM was quoting a statement Roger Cicala made in response to someone who left a comment under the tear down article. If you read through the comments you'll be able to find it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
SecureGSM was quoting a statement Roger Cicala made in response to someone who left a comment under the tear down article. If you read through the comments you'll be able to find it.
Ok, so SecureGSM is quoting somebody replying in comments who is quoting Canon's "magnesium alloy chassis" claim. We've been through that. I'm sure SecureGSM is grateful that you backed up his quoting of a random comment. Some authority!

As I said, unless somebody works for Canon or does a tear-down of the shell itself, we can only speculate.

My point is that Roger did a lot of work, covered a lot of ground, and we seem stuck on the shell? Whatever rings your bell!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Ok, so SecureGSM is quoting somebody replying in comments who is quoting Canon's "magnesium alloy chassis" claim. We've been through that. I'm sure SecureGSM is grateful that you backed up his quoting of a random comment. Some authority!

As I said, unless somebody works for Canon or does a tear-down of the shell itself, we can only speculate.

My point is that Roger did a lot of work, covered a lot of ground, and we seem stuck on the shell? Whatever rings your bell!
No, SecureGSM is quoting Roger Cicala. I know what Roger said in his tear down article about what the camera body is made of, but someone asked him about it in a comment, and Roger responded. SecureGSM was quoting Roger's response.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
No, SecureGSM is quoting Roger Cicala. I know what Roger said in his tear down article about what the camera body is made of, but someone asked him about it in a comment, and Roger responded. SecureGSM was quoting Roger's response.
Ok, now I see that. Sorry. Roger should definitely restate what he said in the body of his article.

And it would be nicer still if Roger explained how he "discovered" the magnesium!

But I will say, based merely on the photographs, the shell appears to be plastic, meaning that the magnesium alloy is hidden in there somewhere, perhaps as framework. Just conjecture, but not all that shell looks like metal coated with plastic--it just looks like plastic.

And he does seem very confident that Canon has no plans to go with IBIS, based on public statements made by Canon. I really don't know how beneficial IBIS would be for, say that beautiful new 50mm f/1.2L, but it would be nice to have a couple of stops worth...

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Ok, now I see that. Sorry. Roger should definitely restate what he said in the body of his article.

And it would be nicer still if Roger explained how he "discovered" the magnesium!

But I will say, based merely on the photographs, the shell appears to be plastic, meaning that the magnesium alloy is hidden in there somewhere, perhaps as framework. Just conjecture, but not all that shell looks like metal coated with plastic--it just looks like plastic.

And he does seem very confident that Canon has no plans to go with IBIS, based on public statements made by Canon. I really don't know how beneficial IBIS would be for, say that beautiful new 50mm f/1.2L, but it would be nice to have a couple of stops worth...
As you have said, Canon has talked about a magnesium alloy chassis so maybe that is correct but there is a poly-carbonate body over/around that chassis. Still, Roger's post suggests he now thinks the body is magnesium alloy but with an unusual feel. I agree it would be interesting to know what has changed his mind from what he said in his tear down article.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Thanks for your sincere apologies for all that insult and drivel. I hope you learnt your lesson. no further comments...

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
*lots of empty space inside*. Looking forward to getting much more compact, less hollow, air-filled EOS R model(s) soon.

Sony A7 (1st gen) body size but with LP-E6N battery inside, no shoulder display, no 4k video recording at all, no useless M-Fn slider bar, regular multi-function-wheel, AF-joystick in addition to touch-panel AF-point selection ... priced at USD/€ 999

plus a compact, decent IQ, inexpensive Non-L RF 24-85/4.0 IS STM ... and I'll switch to Canon EOS R/RF immediately. :)

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
How do you know? Did you do a tear-down too? Work for Canon? The rest of us are speculating.

Rodger did a fantastic tear-down. I think we can move on from what the shell is made of at this point, unless someone has definite Insider knowledge, or has cut a cross section of the shell for us.
I think he is quoting Roger. Roger now thinks it is magnesium alloy.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Thanks for your sincere apologies for all that insult and drivel. I hope you learnt your lesson. no further comments...
Your attribution of the quote was not very clear as posted, which led to the confusion. Fortunately another poster was able to clarify for you.
Thank you for graciously accepting the apology. :geek:

Upvote 0
As you have said, Canon has talked about a magnesium alloy chassis so maybe that is correct but there is a poly-carbonate body over/around that chassis. Still, Roger's post suggests he now thinks the body is magnesium alloy but with an unusual feel. I agree it would be interesting to know what has changed his mind from what he said in his tear down article.

Several things happened. First, Roger rushed to get the teardown up and then had to take planes, trains, and automobiles (not necessarily in that order) to get from Memphis to Boston, did two days of teaching, and then the reverse back. I am willing to make comments from an article on my phone, but not to try to modify the Wordpress document. So I didn't change the text.

As to the material, it felt slightly fuzzy, flexible and thin. Not like magnesium chassis I had felt before and honestly I try not to read the manufacturer's stuff before I do a teardown or test. It felt completely non-metallic. After publishing I heard from a couple of friends who know a lot more about materials than I do who suggested it is an SLM printed magnesium alloy which often has the kind of texture i felt and is lighter than standard Mg frames. After reading some descriptions, that seems consistent with what I was looking at.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Several things happened. First, Roger rushed to get the teardown up and then had to take planes, trains, and automobiles (not necessarily in that order) to get from Memphis to Boston, did two days of teaching, and then the reverse back. I am willing to make comments from an article on my phone, but not to try to modify the Wordpress document. So I didn't change the text.

As to the material, it felt slightly fuzzy, flexible and thin. Not like magnesium chassis I had felt before and honestly I try not to read the manufacturer's stuff before I do a teardown or test. It felt completely non-metallic. After publishing I heard from a couple of friends who know a lot more about materials than I do who suggested it is an SLM printed magnesium alloy which often has the kind of texture i felt and is lighter than standard Mg frames. After reading some descriptions, that seems consistent with what I was looking at.

Roger

Your website, your articles, your teardown - well, just generally all your work with photographic gear is much appreciated. Including by those on the other side of the globe (e.g. I'm in Australia).

I totally get the fit in work while one can in a travelling lifestyle, with planes, trains and automobiles (I have traveled much over my life, both for my work and other reasons).

Thanks for your explanation above too. It's certainly interesting. The non metallic feeling of the new SLM printed magnesium alley is an interesting direction Canon is taking.

As well as immensely enjoying using my current photography gear, for taking photos of scenes, people and things I love; I also look forward to what the future holds.

PJ

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0