The 2020 RF lens roadmap, up to 8 new lenses coming in 2020

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I just bought an EOS R... (no RF glass yet) So of course I'm anxiously awaiting some of the earlier announced L glass, particularly the 15-35 2.8. I bought the camera mostly for video and as a travel camera, so I'm looking forward to comparably light and well balanced glass (vs using the EF adapter with EF glass) for video. the 15-35 focal range pretty much negates the 4k crop factor. I've been fiddling with it so far with the 16-35 f 4 and the 35 and 85 1.4 L primes.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Maybe smaller?

The RF 35 is smaller, lighter, sharper than its EF 35 f/2 IS counterpart. With the camera market contracting like it is, I don't see much of a market for smaller, slower, cheaper lenses. Many of those users will be using their cell phones. Camera manufacturers are targeting enthusiasts and pros that want high IQ that that means more corrected and larger lenses. Sure, there might be a place for a pancake like 40 f/2.8, but I can't see f/1.8 or f/2 primes from the 24-85mm range being small/uncorrected. More likely, they'll sit near the RF 35 in IQ and size.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Well now I need to know what the "look what we can do" lens is! Is it the 14-21 f/1.4? Will it be the widest lens that need a tripod collar?
Lo
I have a feeling that we will see something like that 17-70 lens, as a kit zoom. Perfect for travel, providing it's light and decent. 17 is really wide on FF, and that would be a great plus for interior photography on an RF body.

Otherwise, I see a couple of non-L primes, maybe a 24 and 50 and some additional high-end primes.
Don't know how light a FF 17-70 is going to be, even with 3.5-5.6 variable max aperture. They already have the 24-105, so the choice would be between a little longer or quite a bit wider.

Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
Like a 50mm 1.2 that is bigger and heavier than the EF one, or a 70-200mm 2.8 that is fatter and probably heavier than the EF one? And it'll probably be twice the price as well, to keep the RF tradition alive. Oh how about a 24-105 that's pretty much identical in specs and IQ to the EF II? How's that an advantage?

Canon's RF designers seem to have Sigma Envy and want to show that they too have big manly bits. Meanwhile I'm looking at the EF 35mm IS because it's small and light.

They have an additional control ring that can be set to what you'd like. I think that's huge too, not just a mount thing. Speaking of mount, there are more connections for lens and camera. So you're absolutely wrong about same specs. To the naked eye, the IQ may look identical (ref. 24-105) - but that's because it's already good. :LOL:
And you're talking about weight differences.. i.e. the 70-200. If you compare the canon EF to the Sony G 70-200, the Sony is not lighter by any means - practically the same (Sony is 10 grams lighter compared to the mark ii and the same compared to the mark iii) Mirrorless does NOT mean that the lenses are lighter. Due to flange size, different sizes in lenses and potentially decrease in weight, but not a whole lot else. If you're looking for a dreamy 85mm F1.2, I hope you're not looking for a pancake. I think the M mount exists for people seeking super small, compact, and travel friendly camera system.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
How about a crazy look what we can do camera body?

Exactly.

I made a special trip to check out the R, RP, Z6, Z7, A7ii, A7iii, EM10 and EM5 mark II at a Best Buy, and all the EVFs stink badly except the EM5 Mark II. And that one is only marginal.

No way in the world I'd shoot with any of them until someone makes a usable EVF for high-speed moving subjects in difficult light.

Upvote 0

fabao

RF 10-24 f/4???
Apr 26, 2019
The RF 35 is smaller, lighter, sharper than its EF 35 f/2 IS counterpart. With the camera market contracting like it is, I don't see much of a market for smaller, slower, cheaper lenses. Many of those users will be using their cell phones. Camera manufacturers are targeting enthusiasts and pros that want high IQ that that means more corrected and larger lenses. Sure, there might be a place for a pancake like 40 f/2.8, but I can't see f/1.8 or f/2 primes from the 24-85mm range being small/uncorrected. More likely, they'll sit near the RF 35 in IQ and size.
Couldn't agree more. When I want "light", specially when traveling, I use my m43 camera and tiny lenses. Gets the job done really well. When I want the FF "look", low light performance, or when I need to "look professional", I am all for the best quality lenses like the new RF 28-70 f2. Hoping for more lenses like it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
The RF 35 is a great lens and I praised it in other treads before.
And if Canon can‘t or don‘t want to make RF pancakes then at least bring other FLs build like this - soon.
Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0