The 40mm "Italy" Shots

Apologies for forgetting to post the result of all the agonizing over what to bring to Italy. It ended up being a 6D/40mm and that's it. It was really hot all the time so being ultra-minimal was KEY. Will go back during the Spring and/or Fall, but would likely also do just the 6D/40mm combo and leave it at that.
Not perfect all the time, but AWESOME nonetheless. Thanks again for all of the previous guidance.
Without further ado -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/corysteiner/

Reactions: 1 user

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I bet there are many here on CR who would be aghast at the thought of heading out on a trip with just the 40mm, yet I have done so myself and there are very few missed opportunities, especially as if wanting wider you can stitch.

One thing about the EF 40mm; I've found it has horrendous field curvature at infinity and f/5.6. Anyone else found this or have I just dropped mine too many times ?

Upvote 0
It'd be a lot different if/when venturing out on my own, but managing the family/guiding the trip makes gear totally impossible.
One AWESOME thing was during the one guided tour we did. It was an all day tour of Lake Como and was ridiculously outstanding.
My favorite part, though, was a fellow photographer with a super nice Fuji set-up. We got to talking and he was strictly on a photography trip to Italy, Portugal and one other country.
His family dynamics were identical to mine and he left everyone at home. It was a revelation.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Sporgon said:
One thing about the EF 40mm; I've found it has horrendous field curvature at infinity and f/5.6. Anyone else found this or have I just dropped mine too many times ?

That's interesting as I've occasionally had stitching issues with the 40mm on scenes I thought wouldn't have any issues, usually I'm fairly wide open or at f8-11 though so must go back and check.

On most holidays now I travel with just the 24 and 40 pancakes
Actually on a previous trip to Rome I actually created a book of the results "Rome on a pancake" :)

I've been thinking of upgrading the 40 to one of the new 35s though. I've been concerned about field curvature and particularly parallax issues with a longer lens. Is that actually a practical issue when handholding?

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
zim said:
Sporgon said:

That's interesting as I've occasionally had stitching issues with the 40mm on scenes I thought wouldn't have any issues, usually I'm fairly wide open or at f8-11 though so must go back and check.

Actually on a previous trip to Rome I actually created a book of the results "Rome on a pancake" :)

I've been thinking of upgrading the 40 to one of the new 35s though. I've been concerned about field curvature and particularly parallax issues with a longer lens. Is that actually a practical issue when handholding?

The 35/2 IS is a really good lens, no issues with handheld panoramics. I think it has a very flat field.

When I got the 35 I thought I'd never use the pancake but actually I do. It's a great little lens.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I went to Florence this summer and I got a 5D4 with 16-35 2.8L III and 24-105 4L IS with me (in a small ThinkTank Urban Disguise 20). I used both. If I were to take one lens it would be the 16-35. 90% of the photos were inside museums and churches. But If I visit again I'll try to - do the opposite and - also get a 35mm f/2 IS. It is a small one that may fit almost anywhere if necessary :)

By the way you took very nice photos. Congratulations!

Upvote 0

bod

CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
When on a trip I limit myself to a couple of fast prime lenses which I aim to do most of my landscape, travel and wildlife photos with. However there is always room in my bag for my lightweight lenses which are the 40 f/2.8 pancake and the 24 f/2.8 IS. Optically they both punch well above their weight/cost and are two of the most reliable lenses I have as regards AF and getting a good image. Bang for buck they are outstanding. It is also great to have a day with them where the camera is so light to use.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Sporgon said:
zim said:
Sporgon said:

The 35/2 IS is a really good lens, no issues with handheld panoramics. I think it has a very flat field.

When I got the 35 I thought I'd never use the pancake but actually I do. It's a great little lens.

Thanks Sporgon, appreciate the info
Of course when I said 'longer' lens I meant longer barrel not longer focal length!

Regards

Upvote 0