The best reason to not use the cloud?

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Oh I 100% agree with that, and I do both using commercial servers and my own for different needs, though I am under no illusion that however well I think I might be protecting my personal 'cloud' server, I know anybody with the inclination and a few YouTube videos could actually hack it.

I think what I was trying to get at was there is this huge conflation of 'hacking' confidential data that should be well protected by the likes of banks, CC companies etc, and the vagaries of commercial cloud servers that we have accounts with, free or paid, that offer completely different services.
yes.

and I agree with your comments about security. My work photos are all located on a work server that would be very hard to get to. My personal photos, despite my personal feelings about many of them, have no commercial value and no blackmail value. They are backed up off line (twice) and if someone hacked into them they would end up with a bazillion cat and bird pictures that would only cause them to wonder why someone would take ten thousand pictures of a chickadee.

Edit: and sadly enough, I was taking pictures of chickadees this afternoon.....

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Short answer: no.

Long answer: every type of backup is prone to some type of failure, which is why one should have at least two backups, one of them off-site.

I backup all my photos to BD-R & a cloud service. If the cloud service closes tomorrow morning, I'll subscribe to a different one. Will take a few days to have everything uploaded to it, but I'll live with the risk of my apartment burning down just as that happens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Upvote 0