The Canon EF 50mm f/1.0L

dilbert said:
mmm, a lens that when used open wide means you either get a person's nose, eyes or ears in focus.

Am I the only one who would perhaps re-write that quote to something like:
either get the left eye or the right eye in focus ... maybe?

Me the practical one on a budget with no soul and/or nostalgia? And at the threshold of WOW (wrath of wife : :eek: )

If both the f1.0 and my EF 35mm f2 IS were $500, and they both depreciated to $0 that day (no resale issues), I'm confident this 63 yo geezer would get more keepers with the 35mm. But I'm not into extreme shallow DOF. YWWV.

Reality (for me)? With a lot of practice, I might get 10 captures ... perhaps out of 1000+ ... that were different than anything else I'd ever taken, but then I'd perhaps lose interest after the novelty had worn off. Or not?

Upvote 0
Both men and women have a hankering to own certain things that for some reason draw them in like a magnet.
For women, it might be jewellery, expensive - almost unwearable shoes, perfume, flash kitchens - when they can't cook, the list is endless.
For men, it could be a certain old car, a watch and for you Craig, it's this rare and amazing lens.
Good on you Craig!

What are you going to chase next?
Once the joy of the chase and capture are over for one item, another always appears on the horizon...........

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
TAF said:
... or maybe a 0.75 to be the fastest ever...
Fastest ever lens was the Zeiss Super-Q-Gigantar 40mm f/0.33:
http://petapixel.com/2013/08/06/carl-zeiss-super-q-gigantar-40mm-f0-33-the-fastest-lens-ever-made/

But that was just a marketing gag.

So regularely Zeiss made sone with f/0.7, also mentioned in the article above.
Enjoy reading. ;)

Upvote 0