The Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM Has Started Shipping in North America

May 12, 2015
Anyone use the Sigma Art Lens or Canon 85mm 1.2 for comparison?

So far the sample images aren't helping me decide which to purchase.

I've got the Canon 85/1.8 and find it ok but nothing like my L lenses.

I've never purchased a Sigma lens but have heard that the autofocus systems aren't always reliable.

Congratulations on those who get to play with their new toy this weekend, while we others wait in anticipation of samples and reviews,

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
Ok, having used the lens at three gigs now including two events with shitty low light - the working reality of many pro’s - I can say this thing is awesome. AF is among the best of any lens I have, I would say at least on par with 35 II but maybe even better. Sharp too, and very well built. This will be a bread and butter lens for me making money :))

Upvote 0
Hi,
can one of the owners of the new 85 1.4 IS try to get such flares, please?
I don't want to say that all my pictures made with the 85 1.2 II show flares, but i like them very much.

How is the bokeh/background when the focus distance is 25-50 ft? I use my 85 very often at this long distance and i fear, the bokeh of the new one is optimized for short distance head- / head-shoulder- shots - may be at the cost of longer distances.

Thank you very much!

lightthief

Attachments

• IM2_8954.JPG
    IM2_8954.JPG
    370.8 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
BeenThere said:
privatebydesign said:
Brian already has a hands on review up.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-85mm-f-1.4L-IS-USM-Lens.aspx
A sketchy review. He had access during some kind of event, but very qualitative comments. Mentions he will do more when he actually purchases the lens.

I'd use a different word. Sketchy is reserved for PetaPixel. Bryan said he'd followup with a proper review, he's in the top reviewers tier imho.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Viggo said:
YuengLinger said:
danfaz said:
@infared and mb66eneregy...thanks! I will be adding pics I take today to my smugmug gallery if you want to take a look. All pics shots at f/1.4...cause that's why we buy these things, right? LOL

https://1fineklick.smugmug.com/Canon-EF-85mm-f14-IS-USM/

Vignette looks horrendous!

Bryan said it cleared with 1.3 ev correction, hopefully that’s the case:)

Indeed it is very pronounced at f/1.4. It almost clears up by f/2.8. I added three pics to my gallery, showing f/1.4, f/2 and f/2.8 on a wall.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
danfaz said:
Viggo said:
YuengLinger said:
danfaz said:
@infared and mb66eneregy...thanks! I will be adding pics I take today to my smugmug gallery if you want to take a look. All pics shots at f/1.4...cause that's why we buy these things, right? LOL

Indeed it is very pronounced at f/1.4. It almost clears up by f/2.8. I added three pics to my gallery, showing f/1.4, f/2 and f/2.8 on a wall.

Will be interesting though. I’m not stopping a lens down almost ever, and certainly won’t stop this lens down to clear vignetting. If it’s so bad you can’t really call it a f1.4, then I’ll have to reconsider again.... thanks for the sample shots :)

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Viggo said:
danfaz said:
Viggo said:
YuengLinger said:
danfaz said:

Will be interesting though. I’m not stopping a lens down almost ever, and certainly won’t stop this lens down to clear vignetting. If it’s so bad you can’t really call it a f1.4, then I’ll have to reconsider again.... thanks for the sample shots :)

Wait, did I read that right? You only shoot wide open no matter the lens or scene? It's like welding a pair of vice grips to only open up to 1/2"

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
slclick said:
Viggo said:
danfaz said:
Viggo said:
YuengLinger said:
danfaz said:

Wait, did I read that right? You only shoot wide open no matter the lens or scene? It's like welding a pair of vice grips to only open up to 1/2"

It really isn’t ;D the way shoot I don’t need or want more dof. If I wanted 2.8 I would buy a 70-200 and 24-70 and that’s it. But while those two will get the shots in any situation, they are the most boring lenses I can think of. My three favorite lenses are 35 L II, Zeiss 100 f2 and 200 f2.0.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Viggo said:
YuengLinger said:
danfaz said:

The 85/1.2L II has 1.5-2 stops of corner vignetting wide open. If you want horrendous, try the 24/1.4L II with >4 stops in the corners.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
Viggo said:
YuengLinger said:
danfaz said:

The 85/1.2L II has 1.5-2 stops of corner vignetting wide open. If you want horrendous, try the 24/1.4L II with >4 stops in the corners.

Indeed, and it looks to very gradually and should be easier to correct with getting the bright pink corners at high iso...

Upvote 0