The Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Specifications?

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
It's just a button press and a roll of the dial (depending if/how you set up custom controls). I do like the idea of the 7D2 toggle switch/lever. But again, let's wait til Monday to pass judgement because I'm still not completely convinced this is all accurate. Digi-Came is a good site, but they are not infallible

unfocused said:
One thing I'm surprised about and hoping current 1Dx owners can enlighten me about is the lack of the 7DII's autofocus selector lever. I thought that would certainly become a standard feature on future one series bodies.

But, having never used a 1Dx, I don't know if there is already some convenient means to switch between the various autofocus point selectors. The switch on the 7D has become crucial for me and I'm just wondering if there is some reason it isn't on the photos (if they are real) of the 1Dx II.

Anyone shed some light on this?

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
whoa.. wait..

"Camera digital lens Optimizer (DLO).
Lens aberration correction.
Diffraction correction"

In camera?
DLO in camera would actually be freaking nice.

wow .. the WHINE is hard in this thread.. seriously .. is it all about spec trumping Nikon? really?
I think current Rebels do with JPEG's. Rebels are the only ones apply these corrections to video as well.

Upvote 0
Digicame has updated their link with more info.

20.2MP CMOS sensor with dynamic range improvement

•Dual pixel CMOS AF
•ISO: 100-51200 (expanded in 409600)
•61-point AF system, expanded range, 41-point cross-type, all of the distance measuring points can be selected
•At f/8, 61 points can be selected
•AF is -3EV
•360000 dot photometric sensor. EOS iSA. EOS iTR
•0.76 times the viewfinder magnification. 100% field of view
•Improved AI AF accuracy and motion tracking Servo AF III +
•Dual DIGIC6 + processor
•New mirror drive system that enables high-speed continuous shooting
•Video 4K 60fps. Full HD120fps, 4K video can be recorded in internal CFast2.0 media
•Movie servo AF
•Continuous shooting up to14 fps, 16 fps in live view mode
•Continuous shooting in RAW: 170 frames (at 16 frames / sec.), unlimited in JPEG
•Dual pixel CMOS AF, enables smooth AF with 4K video
•LCD monitor 3.2 inches, 1.62 million dots. Touch panel.
•Camera digital lens Optimizer (DLO), lens aberration correction, diffraction correction
•CFast2.0 and compact flash slots
•GPS built-in
•USB3.0 terminal, HDMI terminal
•Dust and water resistant
•Wi-Fi option (WFT-E8)
•Dimensions: 158mm x 167.6mm x 82.6mm
•Weight: 1340g

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
AndreeOnline said:
In a spec list as complete as this one, I would have liked to see Canon Log and the video codec mentioned.

Their absence makes me think it's strictly consumer grade h.264 and no specific video profile. If that is the case, I'm staying with my 1Dc.

4k60 is fine, but without the corresponding professional codec (1Dc has 422, 520Mbit, intra frame) it does VERY little for me. Can it still look good without? No doubt…
But it will simply lack the flexibility and robustness needed in more professional environments.

Yes. If we consider just the video aspect.

Upvote 0
If it ain't broke, don't fix it

If this is real, I'd be quite happy with it. The current 1D X is an amazing camera and by far the best I've ever used. Lower light AF, f/8 on all points is quite huge as I often shoot before sunrise and sometimes struggle to lock on even a f/2.8.

The additional FPS are nice, but 12FPS is already pretty insane. The HUGE new buffer looks awesome, though!

Better DR would be nice, of course, but I'm no DRone and have no problem with Canon's lowly DR.

4k, may be cool if I do video, but I'm most curious about the larger iSA/iTR sensor and what Servo AF III + will bring.

Finally as someone with the GPS wart on the side of my 1D X, the built-in GPS is a very welcome addition. I hope the battery is the same, too.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
hoodlum said:

•Dual pixel CMOS AF
•61-point AF system, expanded range, 41-point cross-type, all of the distance measuring points can be selected
•AF is -3EV
•Dual DIGIC6 + processor
•Video 4K 60fps. Full HD120fps, 4K video can be recorded in internal CFast2.0 media
•Movie servo AF
•Continuous shooting in RAW: 170 frames (at 16 frames / sec.), unlimited in JPEG
•Camera digital lens Optimizer (DLO), lens aberration correction, diffraction correction
•GPS built-in
•Wi-Fi option (WFT-E8)

Am sold. Buying. Pre order material here....!!!

Upvote 0
jaayres20 said:
I really am interested in ISO performance and what "All of the distance measuring point can be selected" means in relation to the AF points. Does this mean that they are more spread out?

I have the 5DSr and even though everyone complained about it being capped at ISO 6400, it is very good at 6400 and usable beyond that. My 1DX has an ISO of 51,000, but it is terrible at that range. I never go above 12,800, which is where I limit it's usability. If the 1DX2 limits the camera to 51,000 but has good ISO performance even close to 51,000 then it is a game changer. Does anyone believe that cameras with ISOs in the millions can even use that high of an ISO?

I also read somewhere that the ISO would go as low as 50. If that is true and the ISO performance is a good stop or possibly more better than the 1DX along with improved AF, spread out AF points, a large buffer, and colors as good as the 5DSr then I would consider it a worthy upgrade. Especially if it is around the $5,900.

I would imagine that it will beat the D5 in almost all areas, however the area id doesn't will be touted as the most important camera feature for the next 4 years.

If the 1dxII ISO 51200 is as good as the 5DsR ISO 6400 that would be absolutely awesome 12800 and 25600 would be perfectly usable then. Maybe Canon starts to give usable ISO numbers and not technical ISO values with no real world application (basically everything above ISO 12800 on current models even if they go to 100, 200 or 400k)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
expatinasia said:
So does anyone know what the Wi-Fi option (WFT-E8) is all about? I googled WFT-E8 and did not come up with anything. WFT-7a seems to be the closest.

The WFT-E8 would presumably come alongside the 1D X II, as the WFT-E6a came out with the 1D X. No, that little bulge on top is not a removeable anything, sorry but that's just silly. If you look at the angled front view, you can see the mounting hole for the separate WFT unit, just like on other 1-series bodies. If you want WiFi, you'll need to buy a WFT-E8 to go along with your 1D X II.

expatinasia said:
I had thought about the plastic issue, but as the WiFi WFT-E8 is listed as an option I sort of got quite interested in the idea, as add-ons like flash, Wi-Fi are not normally listed.

From the press release for the EOS 1D X:

[quote author=Canon]Accessories
Designed exclusively for the EOS-1D X, the new Canon WFT-E6A Wireless File Transmitter* features wireless LAN support for 802.11n network transfer rates providing users with increased communication speed when compared to previous models. With this new dust and weather resistant model, professionals can synchronize clocks on multiple cameras and use the unit to support linked shooting when utilizing multiple cameras. In addition, Bluetooth-compatible equipment can be easily linked to the device as well.
[/quote]

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Re: Images and specs of the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

Translation: (Still a Rumor)

Canon launches EOS-1D X Mark II in the near future. Spec EOS-1D X Mark II what is currently known is as follows.

-20.2 MP CMOS sensor. Dynamic range improvement
-Dual-pixel CMOS AF
-Expanded the range 61-point AF system. Cross type is 41. All the AF point can be selected
-AF point red illuminated
-F8 also 61 all AF point can be selected
-Improved AF accuracy and motion tracking AI Servo AF III +
-Dual DIGIC 6 + processor
-High-speed continuous shooting to enable new mirror drive system
-Video is 4 K 60 fps. CFast2.0T media allows the internal recording
-Continuous shooting is the best 16 frames / second (live view mode)
-Dual-pixel CMOS AF with a 4 K video with smooth AF
-Built-in GPS
-USB3.0 and HDMI terminals
-Dust proof splash-proof
-Wi-Fi's options (WFT-E8)
-Size 158 mm x 167.6 mm x 82.6 mm
-Weighs 1340 g

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
unfocused said:
One thing I'm surprised about and hoping current 1Dx owners can enlighten me about is the lack of the 7DII's autofocus selector lever. I thought that would certainly become a standard feature on future one series bodies.

But, having never used a 1Dx, I don't know if there is already some convenient means to switch between the various autofocus point selectors. The switch on the 7D has become crucial for me and I'm just wondering if there is some reason it isn't on the photos (if they are real) of the 1Dx II.

Anyone shed some light on this?

Agreed. I'm going to be seriously disappointed if that lever doesn't show up on more bodies.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
hoodlum said:

•Dual pixel CMOS AF
•AF is -3EV
•Dual DIGIC6 + processor
•Movie servo AF
•GPS built-in
•Wi-Fi option (WFT-E8)

I really have no problems with this spec list at all. It seems like Canon is favoring usability/functional improvements over marketing material, and that might hurt them marketing-wise, but at the end of the day professionals are going to enjoy the upgrades and will upgrade. PJs are in market of never missing a single image, and if we can get one more out of this camera than with the 1DX, it's worth it. I heard fellow press talking about the spec list yesterday night in D.C. and there was plenty of excitement in the air.

I think it's interesting that Canon has chosen to keep base ISO at 51200, but if they follow the frame of mind that the 5Ds used and limit the base ISO while raising ISO performance, I'll completely okay with that. Note the fact they've added another stop of sensitivity, I'd expect that means we should see at least around a stop of ISO improvement, if they're comfortable adding 409,600 in expansion.

Interested in seeing how the metering and low-light AF works out-- the metering sensor is double the size of the 7D mark II's. Also excited to see at least -3EV focus, which should be a nice improvement. I haven't seen how the 7D mark II handles -3EV, but I'd be really interested if all points are rated for -3EV, versus the one for the 7D mark II.

Again, exciting to see improvements across the board no matter how this looks on paper-- this should be an absolutely fantastic camera to use.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
hoodlum said:

•Dual pixel CMOS AF
•AF is -3EV
•Dual DIGIC6 + processor
•Movie servo AF
•GPS built-in
•Wi-Fi option (WFT-E8)

So, main differences from 1D X:

• 2 more MP
• 1 more stop of expanded ISO (same native range)
• maybe a wider spread of AF points (same number)
• 61-pt AF with an f/8 lens
• 1 extra EV of AF sensitivity (usually spec'd for center piint only)
• much higher resolution metering sensor
• 'improved' AF tracking
• 2 more fps and much larger buffer
• higher res LCD with touchscreen
• mixed CF/CFast slots
• GPS
• 4K 60 fps video with DPAF for focusing

All in all, a solid camera that should maintain Canon's best-of-the-best title.

Personally, I really find only the full AF at f/8 to be a tempting feature, and given that I only rarely use an f/8 combo the upgrade isn't sounding worthwhile for me. If I shot with a 5DIII, this would be a very worthwhile upgrade.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
So, main differences from 1D X:

• 2 more MP
• 1 more stop of expanded ISO (same native range)
• maybe a wider spread of AF points (same number)
• 61-pt AF with an f/8 lens
• 1 extra EV of AF sensitivity (usually spec'd for center piint only)
• much higher resolution metering sensor
• 'improved' AF tracking
• 2 more fps
• higher res LCD with touchscreen
• mixed CF/CFast slots
• GPS
• 4K 60 fps video with DPAF for focusing

All in all, a solid camera that should maintain Canon's best-of-the-best title.

Personally, I really find only the full AF at f/8 to be a tempting feature, and given that I only rarely use an f/8 combo the upgrade isn't sounding worthwhile for me. If I shot with a 5DIII, this would be a very worthwhile upgrade.
And a HUGE buffer - 170 RAWs vs. around 45 with the very best CF cards.

Upvote 0